LG OLED C9 as a PC monitor - Yes, I'm crazy, Yes time to get some burn in.

Associate
Sorry to butt in, but this thread seems to be the perfect place to ask this question...

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/g-sync-plus-steam-in-home-streaming.18871529/

Basically, I have a new PC with a 2080, and I intend to hook up the old PC to a C9 (ignore the B9 mentioned in the OP) with a 1660 Ti.

If I stream Steam games from the main PC (via wired Ethernet), to the older PC hooked up to the C9, will the streamed games get the benefit of G-Sync??

I guess you're trying to minimise costs by streaming it from the main PC, i gotta say i didn't think that about, my idea was to get a 2070 super or a long HDMI cable.

Associate
Sorry to butt in, but this thread seems to be the perfect place to ask this question...

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/g-sync-plus-steam-in-home-streaming.18871529/

Basically, I have a new PC with a 2080, and I intend to hook up the old PC to a C9 (ignore the B9 mentioned in the OP) with a 1660 Ti.

If I stream Steam games from the main PC (via wired Ethernet), to the older PC hooked up to the C9, will the streamed games get the benefit of G-Sync??

AFAICT with steam streaming, you are not likely to get full picture quality as compression is used over the network, and it's highly unlikely that any sort of sync is going to work.

Associate
AFAICT with steam streaming, you are not likely to get full picture quality as compression is used over the network, and it's highly unlikely that any sort of sync is going to work.

Are we talking about steam link? It works pretty well over a wired connection for me but the image quality is not as good as running a HDMI cable into the TV. It is however a very acceptable image. But to answer your question I thinks steam link is capped at 60fps, and doesn't utilise any VRR feature.

Associate
Are we talking about steam link? It works pretty well over a wired connection for me but the image quality is not as good as running a HDMI cable into the TV. It is however a very acceptable image.

Yeah, I think that's what we're talking about, and I agree - it's decent quality and it works well, but the quality is just not as good as running from the actual machine, likely due to compression techniques (IMHO). Over a wifi link it's more noticeable than over my wired gigabit link, but it's still less than perfect.

Soldato
It’s the same as Steam link, but it’s not the Steam link hardware (which I have too), it’s an actual PC.
I don’t think they call it Steam link if it’s PC to PC, they call it ‘in home streaming’ or something similar.

Ha, the above sounds pedantic! I promise I’m not trying to be a **** about it, just trying to be specific and explain fully.

Associate
Yeah i know exactly what you mean. Could you get away with just updating the GPU? (i know thats still expensive)

I'm compromising by getting a 2070super and probably play at 1440p.. not sure it can deal with 4k. But like hell am i buying another 2080ti.

Associate
Great thread.

Actually, Exactly the kind of thread I’ve been searching for..

I recently switched from the bittersweet Sony A1E. Great tv, but horrible auto dimming issue. I eventually gave up and switched to a 65C9.

I’m also using it as a monitor, plugging in a GTX1080ti and I’m kind of freaking out. I do see some auto dimming, and overall it’s either washed out and bright, or really crisp and dark. I spent hours looking for settings my my specific combo, I was hopping that you guys had recommendations?

I turned off the game mode, I’m in PC mode and for the rest, well.. the interesting settings seem grayed out, and I just can’t find a workaround online.

Help please!

Associate
Great thread.

Actually, Exactly the kind of thread I’ve been searching for..

I recently switched from the bittersweet Sony A1E. Great tv, but horrible auto dimming issue. I eventually gave up and switched to a 65C9.

I’m also using it as a monitor, plugging in a GTX1080ti and I’m kind of freaking out. I do see some auto dimming, and overall it’s either washed out and bright, or really crisp and dark. I spent hours looking for settings my my specific combo, I was hopping that you guys had recommendations?

I turned off the game mode, I’m in PC mode and for the rest, well.. the interesting settings seem grayed out, and I just can’t find a workaround online.

Help please!

Isnt that the point of PC mode mode on TV as it cuts out a majority of the TV processing ????

Associate
Isnt that the point of PC mode mode on TV as it cuts out a majority of the TV processing ????

Sure, it crossed my mind but couldn't find online what it does specifically.

Starting from this more though, what are your recommended settings for SDR or HDR content?

Also, another thing that I could not find online: Should I always enable the HDR mode in windows, regardless of whether or not games offer a HDR mode? What about the Nvidia setting panel, any changes to make in there?

Thanks for your answers!

Associate
When you say 'PC mode' do you mean changing the windows display to PC res?

I been playing around with things and i left HDR on in windows. I've left it at 2560x1440 @120hz for now until the next gen cards let me so 4k @120hz.

Associate
Sure, it crossed my mind but couldn't find online what it does specifically.

Starting from this more though, what are your recommended settings for SDR or HDR content?

Also, another thing that I could not find online: Should I always enable the HDR mode in windows, regardless of whether or not games offer a HDR mode? What about the Nvidia setting panel, any changes to make in there?

Thanks for your answers!

It'll affect things like video playback too. Depends what you're doing. Personally I don't know of a downside to keeping it on.

Back
Top Bottom