Police dealing with incident on London Bridge amid reports of shots fired

TJM

TJM

Associate
Despite one of the victims’ families pleading for their son’s death not to be used as an excuse for kneejerk political reaction, Johnson claimed that “a lefty government” was responsible for Usman Khan being freed.
Ah yes, the famously lefty New Labour and its soft-on-crime ministers like David Blunkett and John Reid.

Soldato
Its not how the system is now,. He was released with no assessment,.

It seems it is the system, as in that's what supposed to happen. But on reading the latest about the case it seems it didn't happen in this situation.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...t-london-bridge-terrorist-usman-khan-answered

Who decided to let him out after eight years?

This is where it appears something went wrong. At the time, Lord Justice Leveson at the court of appeal indicated that he expected the Parole Board to review Khan’s case at the end of the eight-year minimum term, describing anybody who had committed such terrorism offences as dangerous.

“There is an argument for concluding that anyone convicted of such an offence should be incentivised to demonstrate that he can safely be released; such a decision is then better left to the Parole Board for consideration proximate in time to the date when release becomes possible,” Leveson said.

But on Saturday morning, the Parole Board put out a statement saying it had not reviewed Khan’s case at all – and that the London Bridge terrorist had been released without its involvement – suggesting the law had been misunderstood or misapplied.

It said: “The Parole Board can confirm it had no involvement with the release of the individual identified as the attacker, who appears to have been released automatically on licence (as required by law), without ever being referred to the Board.”

No. He was released on licence automatically without any assessment by the parole board.

I agree, that seems to be what as happened, though it was intended for these cases to be seen by the parole board, but you're right in this case he wasn't.

My personal view is that there shouldn't be a parole board for him or anyone else convicted of terrorist offenses (offenses meaning plotting to take life, or taking life) as in my opinion they should never be let out of jail.

Permabanned
It's very sad that two people who, naively in my opinion, felt that it is possible and desirable to risk educating a man convicted of wanting to blow up the London Stock Exchange and set up a Jihadi training camp in Pakistan, and another who slit the throat of a backward young woman he did not even know, have had to learn the hardest way that wlld animals sometimes bite the hands that feed them. It's also rather disingenuous of the man's parents to think that our Prime Minister should not try to reassure his people that such acts by prematurely released Jihadists are something he intends to try and curtail by fixed long term sentencing. If his son felt he needed to try and educate killers of backward women, and manic Jihadists that's fine, but the rest of us may not share his Cavalier approach to dealing withe extreme criminality and want to be reassured as soon as possible that these situations will be reviewed and others released so early might be brought back in to custody.

Soldato
I agree, that seems to be what as happened, though it was intended for these cases to be seen by the parole board, but you're right in this case he wasn't.

My personal view is that there shouldn't be a parole board for him or anyone else convicted of terrorist offenses (offenses meaning plotting to take life, or taking life) as in my opinion they should never be let out of jail.

Nope. There are two types of sentence for crimes. One without a time limit that require expertise and proper process to fulfil. And one that just requires criminals to serve time, which currently offenders are automatically up for release after serving 50% of their sentence.

He was sentenced to the first type, an indeterminate time behind bars. And one requiring him only put forward for release once it could be ascertained that he was no longer a danger.

His sentence was reduced on appeal to 16 years.

There's nothing wrong with the law as it stands. It's just not been applied correctly.

What Corbyn has said is right.

Caporegime
It seems it is the system, as in that's what supposed to happen. But on reading the latest about the case it seems it didn't happen in this situation.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...t-london-bridge-terrorist-usman-khan-answered

Which is a perfectly valid point of view but would require the Govt to change the law to make terrorist offences a life, no parole, sentence. AFAIK I know atm the moment the maximum is just 20 years. 40 years minimum or life to anybody actually carrying out an attack.

This is after the sentencing was increased in 2016 and earlier in 2019 but wasnt increased for the offence this guy was found guilty of. Clearly our government didnt think it necessary to change the guidelines for that offence.

Soldato
There's nothing wrong with the law as it stands. It's just not been applied correctly.

What Corbyn has said is right.

But the law wasn't followed correctly in this situation. If he had met the parole board he might not have been released.

Corbyn is only right if you believe that terrorists should be able to be let out before their full sentence is up, which is what happened in this situation, and theoretically could have happened if he had gone to a parole board. My opinion is that terrorists should not be allowed out at all.

As I said in a previous post if you had been born in a country you hated, lets say for this example Nazi Germany in the 1940's, and you attempted to blow it up. You got sentenced to prison like this guy. Do you think when you got released you'd suddenly love the country? I'm thinking not. Terrorism in my opinion goes beyond normal crime. It's currently being treated like a regular crime. Very few people at that level i.e. someone who as taken part in plotting, is going to reform. The government seems to think a magical brainwashing is going to take place to suddenly make them think Britain is a nice place now. It's cloud cuckoo land thinking. I would at least jail them for life, with no parole.

Caporegime
...and again you’re ignoring the spectrum of offences that are neatly under the single description of terrorism...

Leta make a pointlessly extreme example to make a point, you’re saying that perhaps in the event of someone planting extremist material into someone else’s ‘ownership’, that they should be consigned to a life in prison?

This is problem with implying that Mr Corbyn has asserted something that he actually hasn’t... and taking a massive brush to a complex problem that enough knee jerk legislation would make a perfect scenario possible for an autocrat to abuse. As what did occur in Germany as you’ve nicely used as an example of when unintended consequences of legislation get out of hand.

This isn’t an easy issue, frankly. I feel we’ve done a halfway house on the structure of prisons and the justice system, it definitely does not need more of the same terrible legislation. It may make you feel better, temporarily, but it won’t stop the next time, or the time after that, it’s betraying our abilities.

Last edited:
Soldato
But the law wasn't followed correctly in this situation. If he had met the parole board he might not have been released.

Corbyn is only right if you believe that terrorists should be able to be let out before their full sentence is up, which is what happened in this situation, and theoretically could have happened if he had gone to a parole board. My opinion is that terrorists should not be allowed out at all.

There is no sentence for terrorists to be let out before their sentence is up so long as they are sentenced correctly.

Corbyn is saying pretty much what you’re saying. That they shouldn’t be let out at all unless we’re sure that they’re no longer terrorists!

Soldato
Not sure if I'm late to the party (probably am) - but a work collage just showed me a video doing the rounds; allegedly it shows the guy who got shot, standing back up. There's another that suggest after being shot, the buy was able to pull just jacket over himself, then reposition it.

Seems conspiracy factor 10 is going on now, with people even questioning why the knife was so clean - though I'd expect that might be due to getting blasted by a fire extinguisher.

Might have a nosy back through the other pages here, be interested to see if my colleague is just subbed to some nut job groups :D

Soldato
That sounds like the sort of thing my pensioner father would post

He's not far off tbh :D

Just shown me something more long-winded, where someone is filming the response (not clear if before the shooting or after) - but it claims there are crisis actors all over the place, oddly, there are also people wearing purple nitrile gloves - I tried to suggest they might be first aiders trying to help; but oddly the person filming isn't being ushered away i nthe direction of everyone else - they seem to be permitted to simply walk around filming.

I'm not ready to jump onto the false flag or whatever bandwagon - but I wonder if any laws/act/whatever were being passed when this all kicked off?

Man of Honour
What doesn't help - the media are running with two different versions of events, close but don't match such as where the Narwhal tusk came from and you have people claiming to be nearby swearing blind they heard 2-3 shots, 15-30 shots and sustained gun fire like a shoot out, etc. etc. obviously always going to be some confusion and BSers in these situations but there are some weird discrepancies. Which is going to breed all kinds of conspiracies.

Soldato
What doesn't help - the media are running with two different versions of events, close but don't match such as where the Narwhal tusk came from and you have people claiming to be nearby swearing blind they heard 2-3 shots, 15-30 shots and sustained gun fire like a shoot out, etc. etc. obviously always going to be some confusion and BSers in these situations but there are some weird discrepancies. Which is going to breed all kinds of conspiracies.

I can see where all the fuel for the fire has come from then!

One clip I've seen, seems to show quite a few shell casings being ejected from a couple of guns - yet the videos with sound only show two gunshot reports.

Soldato

On the uncensored clip I saw it sounded like 3 shots.

Associate
Another conspiracy angle...Its getting cold, so had to put his coat on after getting shot.

One thing I find really weird, I've seen the amateur footage where the cops pulled the other guys off this "terrorist", before he was shot, but when you watch the video, I find it really strange that he is led there, on the floor arms by his side, If you're shot in the head, while getting up, (i believe they said he was shot in the head?) and its a kill shot, you're going down like a sack of spuds, yet, there he is just led down like hes having a nap?

Back
Top Bottom