• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Strange sounds

Soldato
Need some advice before I proceed with asking for a return/RMA.

Recently installed the Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming OC graphics card into my PC yesterday, no problems with installation etc. However upon installing the Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.9.2 drivers I've noticed a weird buzzing/screeching/static noise from the card? This noise happens regardless of what I do and increases in gain from either browsing the internet, playing a YouTube video or just sitting ideal in the Windows settings screen.

With some research I've noticed I'm not alone on this issue as many are experiencing same and similar issues and I'm sensitive to this type of noise, irritating to say the least. I can put headphones on but my daughter who sits less than a few feet away looks at me with a frown?

Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/darpx1/weird_crackling_noise_coming_from_rx_5700_xt/

I've tried many solutions from clean Windows installs and drivers, reseating the card and power cables to disabling eco modes on the PSU, all without a fix.

I'm not sure whether to return the card and ask for a refund and get something from team Green?

Any ideas?

Soldato
Very much sounds like coil whine.. :(

I have only ever experienced it whilst the system was under heavy GPU load so to have it on the desktop would be immensely frustrating.

What PSU do you have? It is sometimes found that the coil whine is actually being caused (or is coming from) the PSU itself.

Soldato
OP
Very much sounds like coil whine.. :(

I have only ever experienced it whilst the system was under heavy GPU load so to have it on the desktop would be immensely frustrating.

What PSU do you have? It is sometimes found that the coil whine is actually being caused (or is coming from) the PSU itself.

It's an EVGA 650W P2. It's frustrating and dishearten to be honest, as soon as I install drivers the noise begins. If I enter the BIOS not a whisper or when Windows loads up.

Soldato
OP
Well that PSU is a quality unit so it shouldn't be the cause (I have a 750 Supernova G3 and a RTX2070S with no coil whine). I also assume you weren't experiencing the same with your old PSU?

Coming from a Red Dragon Vega 56, no issues.

It appears to be widespread from what I've googled, some suggested to install the drivers twice and it worked for them... but not for me which is saddening.

If I was gaming I'd say it was justified, but shifting through Windows or browsing the internet it's down right irritating.

Not sure what actions to take next.

Soldato
Honestly with it happening under non 3D load I would be looking at the RMA approach. Maybe open a support ticket with whoever you bought it from.

Only other suggestions would be the normal, re-seating card, trying it in a different system etc.

Soldato
OP
Honestly with it happening under non 3D load I would be looking at the RMA approach. Maybe open a support ticket with whoever you bought it from.

Only other suggestions would be the normal, re-seating card, trying it in a different system etc.

Just done as advised and opened a support ticket as it was purchased from here at OcUK last week.

I don't have another system to test this card unfortunately... tried all suggestions and gutted to be honest.

I've had coil whine under load with other cards and I expected it, but desktop surfing... REALLY?

Soldato
Sounds like coil whine but, i'd suggest using a paper cone to listen to exactly where the noise is coming from.

It's probable it's the card, but luckily i've never had one with coil whine at idle. I have had various boards and psu's with whine though in the past.

I'd also just 100% verify the card is at idle and doesnt have any kind of process bringing the core speed up. I've had issues in the past with resolution/refresh bug where a fast refreshrate would cause the card to always run at full speed during idle.

Soldato
OP
Sounds like coil whine but, i'd suggest using a paper cone to listen to exactly where the noise is coming from.

It's probable it's the card, but luckily i've never had one with coil whine at idle. I have had various boards and psu's with whine though in the past.

I'd also just 100% verify the card is at idle and doesnt have any kind of process bringing the core speed up. I've had issues in the past with resolution/refresh bug where a fast refreshrate would cause the card to always run at full speed during idle.

If the card is idle I don't get any issues, as soon as I move the mouse I can hear a faint noise. Move to another window it intensifies, load edge up and visit pages with media then it get's whingy.

Man of Honour
If the card is idle I don't get any issues, as soon as I move the mouse I can hear a faint noise. Move to another window it intensifies, load edge up and visit pages with media then it get's whingy.

Some people seem to get rid of the whine by leaving a benchmark looping over night. Might be worth a go. I must be lucky as have never has a card with whine. Always run top end seasonic supplies so perhaps that helps somewhat.

Soldato
OP
Some people seem to get rid of the whine by leaving a benchmark looping over night. Might be worth a go. I must be lucky as have never has a card with whine. Always run top end seasonic supplies so perhaps that helps somewhat.

I wouldn't say the P2 was a cheapo unit by any stretch, but who knows... the rest of my system is okay?

Man of Honour
I wouldn't say the P2 was a cheapo unit by any stretch, but who knows... the rest of my system is okay?

Sorry dude wasn't suggesting you cheaped out on the supply. There was somebody on here the other day with a similar evga supply that they had whine with 5700xt also. Often (my understanding is limited) it's a combo of supply and component that seems to lead to the issue. There was also a fella recently that went through 4 green team cards and all were apparantly a whining mess.

Seems to be very much luck of the draw.

Soldato
OP
Sorry dude wasn't suggesting you cheaped out on the supply. There was somebody on here the other day with a similar evga supply that they had whine with 5700xt also. Often (my understanding is limited) it's a combo of supply and component that seems to lead to the issue. There was also a fella recently that went through 4 green team cards and all were apparantly a whining mess.

Seems to be very much luck of the draw.

No offense taken at all buddy. Just booted my PC up and the card is making an horrendous scratching noise, and this is in the BIOS. Had to switch it all of as it sounded worrying?

Man of Honour
Just booted my PC up and the card is making an horrendous scratching noise now and this is even in the BIOS idle?

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtSyLmKrmxztboGdgONZaRXzlT8

Had to switch it all off quickly as it sounded rather worrying?

Turn it on, will be fine. Funny thing, I had a vega64 that once liked to make a weird scratching sounds. It did it probably 5 times (that I heard) in a few years. Moved it from a Kolink continuum supply to a seasonic platinum and I never heard the noise again. Odd thing is that Kolink supply was also running 3 other vega cards no porblem. Also the same supply now runs 13 rx 550's and the Vega cards are on a Seasonic Focus +. Again no noises from that same Vega on the Seasonic.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just booted my PC up and the card is making an horrendous scratching noise now and this is even in the BIOS idle?

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtSyLmKrmxztboGdgONZaRXzlT8

Had to switch it all off quickly as it sounded rather worrying?

Right I see where there may be a problem. You are daisy chaining off of a single cable from the PSU. Plug another one in from a seperate plug from the supply. Now I wont lie I run a Radeon 7 daisy chained and it is fine perfectly quiet and perfectly stable. But so often peoples problems (if there is even a minor rail issue with the PSU) can be solved by running a second 6 pin. Also that scratching sounds like it could a choke, which is what I think it was on the vega. These cards are fussy and really like clean power.

It's weird as coming from a vega you wouldn't expect to see issues. I'd still run another cable and see what it sounds like. Do you have another supply or know somebody with a different machine you can try it in?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Right I see where there may be a problem. You are daisy chaining off of a single cable from the PSU. Plug another one in from a seperate plug from the supply. Now I wont lie I run a Radeon 7 daisy chained and it is fine perfectly quiet and perfectly stable. But so often peoples problems (if there is even a minor rail issue with the PSU) can be solved by running a second 6 pin. Also that scratching sounds like it could a choke, which is what I think it was on the vega. These cards are fussy and really like clean power.

It's weird as coming from a vega you wouldn't expect to see issues. I'd still run another cable and see what it sounds like. Do you have another supply or know somebody with a different machine you can try it in?

The two cables both come with an 8-pin and a 6-pin attached.

So done as advised 8-pin from the first cable and used the 6-pin from the other cable.

Booted into the BIOS and left it there but could hear a ticking noise coming from the middle where the GPU die is located and within minutes it was scratching, buzzing and whining again.

The card was absolutely fine yesterday with no issues, now today this happens. All started this morning and has gotten worse as the day progressed.

Man of Honour
The two cables both come with an 8-pin and a 6-pin attached.

So done as advised 8-pin from the first cable and used the 6-pin from the other cable.

Booted into the BIOS and left it there but could hear a ticking noise coming from the middle where the GPU die is located and within minutes it was scratching, buzzing and whining again.

The card was absolutely fine yesterday with no issues, now today this happens. All started this morning and has gotten worse as the day progressed.

Might as well just send it back but it might be worth checking it is doing it in another machine first I recon. Nothing worse than sending it off and getting the "it's working fine" email or phone call.

Back
Top Bottom