NVME vs SSD

Associate
Hey guys, quick question!

What is the point in getting an NVME as opposed to an SSD?

I'm aware that the former is faster than the latter but as a boot drive were talking a matter of milliseconds, or at least from what I've researched so far.

So that said, if I was to build a new pc, why would I get an NVME over and SSD FOR a boot drive?

Soldato
If you don't want any cables and it's much faster.

If you had an existing rig and was debating upgrading SATA SSD -> NVME SSD then there would be very little point, unless you do a lot of data transfer read/writes and need the speed.

Building a new rig? Then it's a no brainer to go NVME.

Associate
OP
That can also be achieved with a cheaper SATA M.2 SSD.

M.2 is the form factor (e.g. the little circuit board vs a 2.5" drive), and M.2 drives come in either SATA or NVMe types.

They certainly do look nice in those little slots. I like mobo's to look clean and they certainly sort that aesthetic out. Preferably I would go for one of those mobos thats entirely encased/watercooled just to hide all the gibs.

Soldato
M.2 is quicker due to being a much shorter route to the controller and chipset afaik. A bit like putting the GPU in the top PCIE slot for x16 speed.

As I found out recently though, it's better to have the m.2 drive in BEFORE you install windows as it takes priority as drive0. Which means if you have existing drives everything gets shuffled around and windows doesn't always like that (so it does a BSOD) :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just gone from a SanDisk SSD to an Adata NVMe drive and while I suppose it's nice that I get the huge boost in benchmark scores, the real world difference is negligible in my experience!

Permabanned
NVME is faster, hotter and eats lanes. SATA is slower, cooler and uses SATA ports. Unless you are using very large files, e.g. video editing, I'd go for SATA as the speed difference for windows gaming isn't noticable.

Soldato
NVME is faster, hotter and eats lanes. SATA is slower, cooler and uses SATA ports. Unless you are using very large files, e.g. video editing, I'd go for SATA as the speed difference for windows gaming isn't noticable.
Im new to Nvme myself, when you say eats lanes, you mean it will take power from my gpu in its pci3x16 slot ? i have nothing else in any of my other slots on my motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom