What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
The Irishman - wow, 3.5 hours can fly by when you are transfixed! This was a pretty intense story that just kept on going, I didn't feel that the de-aging particularly added or subtracted from the film so just went with it (it was a bit odd when they were younger but still moved like older folk and everyone had big ears!). 4/5

Soldato
After watching Knives Out which was excellent this whetted my appetite for a bit of comedic murder mystery so polished off Clue (with multiple endings) and Murder by Death.

All superb :D

Soldato
The Pentagon Wars - 8/10.

Depending on your level of cynicism, this is a comedic take on the story behind the Bradley Fighting Vehicle...or a true-to-life documentary on the **** that happens inside the US military. It's based on Col. James G. Burton's book The Pentagon Wars: Reformers Challenge the Old Guard, which details how the US Army falsified (or outright didn't do) tests during the BFV's development.

It would be funnier if it wasn't so painfully close to real life. As it is, it's still pretty funny...until you remember a) how much money was spaffed on the piece of junk that the movie is about and b) that they were actually expecting men to ride around in the vehicle knowing that some conscript with a particularly sharp slice of fruit could hurt it.

Highlights for me:

Kelsey Grammer's Gen. Partridge sat on the toilet, pants 'round his ankles, raging about the report on the BFV authored by Cary Elwes' Col. James Burton. John C. McGinley playing John C. McGinley playing a colonel. The back-and-forth between Col. Robert Smith (played by Richard Schiff) and Jones (J.C MacKenzie) who has to keep adding the (contradictory) things to the Bradley design that the brass want. The whole of the congressional hearings.

Watched this based on your review and yea, what a great little film! :D

An easy 7/10 from me

Soldato
The Irishman - 7.5 / 10 - Maybe I'm being harsh with that score. Watched it in two instalments and generally found myself interested the whole way through. As I think someone else said, just a good, solid movie with a good story and no real issues.

Caporegime
The Irishman - 7.5 / 10 - Maybe I'm being harsh with that score. Watched it in two instalments and generally found myself interested the whole way through. As I think someone else said, just a good, solid movie with a good story and no real issues.

Agreed. I went to the cinema, and it was just a tad too long. I was tired (my own fault, but it didn't start till half 8) and I just wanted it to end. That and the misses was borderline snoring.

Soldato
The Irishman solid 8/10 the young man to old man played with my head just a tad too much. I really enjoyed it though. The casualness to killing was chilling but normal life for the mob.

rotters

Soldato
Alien - 9/10

Still an absolute classic that holds up even after all this time, the green vector graphics on the computers age it, but to think this was made in 1979 it's incredible. I still remember watching this for the first time in 1981 aged 11, scared the living bejeezus out of me! :D

Aliens - 9/10

The directors cut - I like this version. Still a fantastic movie even if I can recite the script as it plays :p

Soldato
Rambo Last Blood.

Basically Taken without the "I've got a set of skills", just basically brute force.

Just turn the brain off and get ready for some blood, lots of it.

6.5/10

Soldato
Twenty Feet From Stardom - 6/10
Kinda just as expected. Very interesting, but left me feeling a little depressed that such talented people can't make it "big" in comparison to the nonsense that is churned out nowadays. (and even back then)

Associate
Frozen II (2019) - 8/10

A very good follow up filled with a lot of the magic and humour that made the original such a hit.

The songs aren't as memorable and there's no signature power ballad, but the darker, more mature adventure and hardships the characters endure make it an engaging and emotional ride.

It's different but similar plot, setting, superb animation and use of colour keeps it entertaining and enjoyable throughout.

Soldato
Dolomite Is My Name - 6.5 / 10 (on Netflix) - Reasonable true story (I didn't realise it was based on a true story until they showed footage at the end!) I should maybe add a half mark for it being true. Entertaining enough though.

Back
Top Bottom