Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Associate
I like C4 coverage as never owned Sky and this will not likely change - the cost versus usage, is disproportionate. Will miss C4, even if this year when it was seriously nobbled. The only thing I wont miss with C4 coverage was the Red Bull bias. ;)

Anyway, I recently started listening to BBC Radio coverage for the live events and its not bad at all. I just don't think a Sky exclusive for F1 will work in the same way the Premier League, audience figures/interest will bomb in UK.

Associate
And he's slow to react to incidents, you see them happen and he notices about 5 seconds later. He can't pronounce drivers names properly, gets things wrong all the time, and just basically says stupid things, and as above makes a big deal out of nothing.

He's just a complete tit.

Last race was a prime example when Hamilton was in between the two red bulls, he was going crazy excited about Hamilton re-passing Verstappen and it went on for at least half a lap. Despite it being obvious that this was not the case and even a shot of hamilton between the two red bulls.

R.E C4 Highlights coverage finishing, I'm pretty sure there is a deal to keep things running as per 2019 for 2020?

https://www.channel4.com/press/news...w-deal-keeping-formula-1r-free-air-television

Soldato
It's interesting that everyone bags on Crofty these days. If you go back to the start of this thread (early 2012) people used to love him on 5 live, and spent the time hating on James Allen and Legard.
I won't pretend I quite liked Croft on the few occasions I listened to 5 Live, and I was one of those happy he got the Sky gig, but it's become clear since that the radio medium merely masked his many mistakes and annoyances.

He's got more gobby since too, and it was no surprise there were rumours floating around before the season that he had been dropped.

James Allen is far better than he was on ITV. He had the task of of filling in for, then replacing Murray, a job few would envy, and he went about it all wrong, feigning excitement to the point it was cringeworthy (like the vast majority of ITV's coverage became). Allen shouting at Button's first win at the Hungaroring was horrible, compounded by Anthony Davidson claiming he was partly responsible.

Since Allen left ITV he's become much more natural and enjoyable as a result.

A lot of people don't like Ben Edward's overly excited voice, but it's genuine excitement at least and, in my opinion, has made many motorsport moments far more memorable as a result (Montoya vs Andretti at Michigan in 2000 being the obvious example). He's a proper racer too, and still does the odd Formula Ford events.

Associate
Last race was a prime example when Hamilton was in between the two red bulls, he was going crazy excited about Hamilton re-passing Verstappen and it went on for at least half a lap. Despite it being obvious that this was not the case and even a shot of hamilton between the two red bulls.

R.E C4 Highlights coverage finishing, I'm pretty sure there is a deal to keep things running as per 2019 for 2020?

https://www.channel4.com/press/news...w-deal-keeping-formula-1r-free-air-television

Wow I missed this, this is good news. Thanks for sharing.

Soldato
It's interesting that everyone bags on Crofty these days. If you go back to the start of this thread (early 2012) people used to love him on 5 live, and spent the time hating on James Allen and Legard.

Oh Jesus, Legard. Would take Crofty over him any day of the week. I like Allen for some technical bits but not as a commentator. He messed that up with ITV and their strong Lewis bias.

Soldato
I've just booked tickets for Barcelona testing again. If anyone's interested, they now finally offer more options with different types of access.

https://proticketing.com/circuitcat/en_US/entradas/evento/16882

We normally go right at the beginning of testing, but next year we're going right at the end, including the last day. Hoping for some better weather than the last couple of years..!

Soldato
This is quite out there, but would be fascinating.

Mercedes to maybe 'pull out' of F1 but support a "Hamilton F1" team with Toto as team boss and share holder?
https://twitter.com/NickTrott27/status/1201448594940874754

Kind of what happened when Honda pulled out of F1 and it became Brawn.

I think it's very unlikely while Mercedes are winning everything (quite differently from Honda), and even they have said that not only does the F1 team make money, the value in advertising is worth even more to the company. The F1 team (and Hamilton in particular) has been very instrumental with turning what used to be a brand for old men and continental taxi drivers into a cool, aspirational brand for younger people.

Plus if Mercedes did decide to pull out, that could be a very big signal for Hamilton to move on to Ferrari to finish out his career. If Mercedes don't have any further use for Hamilton, why should he remain loyal to them, despite them being willing to put his name over the garage?

Soldato
I think it's more likely that Hamilton would go to Ferrari and then retire than want to deal with the day to day runnings of a team, or even just being the shareholder of a team.

Lewis was coy over his future plans and which team he was going to drive for when asked this weekend. Adding together the Merc cost cutting going on right now, along with Vettel's malaise and contract ending after 2020 it would seem to point to Vettel retiring and leaving the seat free for Hamilton to join in 2021 when Mercedes bow out of F1.

Was any official reason given for Toto missing the Brazil race?

Last edited:
Soldato
He said that he would be more productive for 2020 preparations elsewhere than spending 4 - 5 days in Brazil.

It isn’t easy to move on a huge top F1 team, as there simply aren’t many buyers. F1 isn’t like football, where billionaires fall over themselves to buy into a Premiership team. I think the Mercedes are still enjoying it, although how long the key individuals remain is another question. Hamilton’s reluctance to give the commitment that everyone foolishly thinks he should seems more down to the fact that Toto himself has indicated that his future commitment is not certain.

There were rumours that the agreement to supply McLaren again from 2021 was a fallback position where they could have a works team if they didn’t continue their own team. It would make sense, but the chances of them not continuing appear minute.

Man of Honour
OP
I think it's very unlikely while Mercedes are winning everything (quite differently from Honda), and even they have said that not only does the F1 team make money, the value in advertising is worth even more to the company. The F1 team (and Hamilton in particular) has been very instrumental with turning what used to be a brand for old men and continental taxi drivers into a cool, aspirational brand for younger people.

I think this is exactly what gives this particular rumour legs. Mercedes knows most of it's marketing success is because they have Hamilton, having a works Mercedes-Hamilton F1 team will retain most of the branding with much less expenditure.

Everyone knows Hamilton has ran Mercedes engines his entire F1 career and he's on course to break every record, Mercedes will do everything they can I would have thought to keep it this way until he retires.

Hamilton has let everyone know that he would step away from F1 once he retires so yes having his own team will be unlikely, but I imagine he would just have a back seat role with some investment. Plus he's stated how he wants to make the lower categories more accessible, so perhaps this could be the beginning of that.

Soldato
The main reason people refuse to commit is because he is not under contract and will be negotiating behind the scenes. It's all just a part of the negotiating game for Hamilton and his 'people' to get the most out of the team (as he should do). The second he says publicly he is committed to Mercedes before any contract is signed, the negotiation behind the scenes ends. Its that simple.

Soldato
Which would at least provide the amusing spectacle of all those Lewisterical fanboys pivoting to thinking Ferrari are a perfectly fine F1 team and not, in fact, the devil incarnate ;)
Also the inverse. Some of the most racist, hateful comments I've ever seen online came from Ferrari fans on the Official F1 Instgram post where Hamilton is in the press conference talking about his future plans, and whether he'd stay at Mercedes or move.

Back
Top Bottom