New Games

Associate
Is it me or do new companies not make good games anymore ?

Perhaps I've outgrown the feeling, but it seems like games nowdays aim for profit and not gameplay.. with a few exceptions ofc like The Witcher 3 etc

Wht you think ?

btw, can you message people on here ? There's an inbox on the top right but what for

Caporegime
Welcome and the shape of the industry has changed over time with a significant focus being on annual repetitive entries and the greed use monetisation in games. Lets not get started on the state of games when released. Game companies and shareholders are all about short term gains.

However there are still great games been made. I have only recently got back into PC games and must have spent a good 6 months on PUBG, rinsing Forza 4 at the moment and then my backlog - new COD, Doom on Hard and Halo: Master Cheif's Collection. Plus we have Doom Eternal and Cyberpunk 2077 within the next 6 months. The new Star Wars games gave the middle finger at EA regarding their previous statement on no one really wanting SP experiences.

It's got greedy and lazy but still plenty of hope :).

Associate
There's definitely a lot of over exhausted IPs floating about.

But honestly I've got such a backlog of games that I want to play across my Switch and Xbox. I don't even have a PS4 to play all the exclusives on there.

So yes, there's a lot of rubbish out there, but the good stuff has been really really good this gen. Breath of the Wild has been one of the best games ever, never mind this generation. I've also sank loads of hours in to Mario Odyssey, Forza Horizon 4 and a few others in the past couple months, and I've still got Halo: MCC, Gears 5, RDR2, Titanfall 2, and a load of other stuff I want to play on Game Pass.

Associate
Plenty of good games are being made. Thing is, once you've been gaming for a lot of years and played a lot of great games, you're not as easily blown away.

Think of it like this. Let's take the recent Fallen Order. If this was released in 1990, you'd considered it the best game ever made.

Associate
Very much like the film industry. The same game, but different.
Heck, even the recently released Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, reminded me of a reskinned Tomb Raider from the 1990's!

Man of Honour
Exactly what eclap says.. I don't think it's so much that there are no good games at the moment, I think peoples expectation have changed and there's nothing really new. I mean, how times must they really release Far Cry?

In the earlier days, as games were evolving, the differences were quite notable. I don't really see this today.. the tech and the developers where pushing each other to the limit. Who remembers the "will it play" days of Half Life and Crysis?

Reloading some of the older games such as RTCW.. are just as entertaining as they were 18 years ago.

We seemed to have got obsessed with realism while forgetting the value of games for what they are. I like to feel like I'm playing a game.

Man of Honour
Some of the best games of recent years have been from the smaller companies, the likes of Oxygen Not Included, Subnautica, Rimworld, Slay the Spire, Darkest Dungeon, Dead Cells and so on. There are still many gems out there its just that most arent AAA

Soldato
I'm certainly looking towards more Indy games these days. They are inexpensive and indicative of how the industry used to be in the 8 and 16-bit days - simple, yet addictive games being developed without huge budgets and long drawn out releases compounded with near constant patches and bug fixes. Heck some devs coded these games in their bedrooms, like they used to.

Recently this has also led to me revisiting a lot of old games/computers/consoles. My steam library now lists a lot of old games like The Chaos Engine, Gods, Syndicate, Syndicate Wars and the Monkey Island remakes. Old games (some with some graphical skin updates) which provide quick, easy fun (a good nostalgia kick to boot), but with little outlay or a high pc spec (even though I have it).

Associate
Very much like the film industry. The same game, but different.
Heck, even the recently released Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, reminded me of a reskinned Tomb Raider from the 1990's!

Completely agree, every 'new' game just seems to be the latest version of a franchise with a couple of new features. I find I am playing old games through again or discovering games I missed out on when they first came out. Didn't realise how few new games I buy now until the steam award nominations popped up and the only new game added to my library this year was Destiny 2, which was just from when it moved over from Battle.net

Soldato
Is it me or do new companies not make good games anymore ?

Perhaps I've outgrown the feeling, but it seems like games nowdays aim for profit and not gameplay.. with a few exceptions ofc like The Witcher 3 etc

Wht you think ?

btw, can you message people on here ? There's an inbox on the top right but what for

Depends what games you looking for. There are some great games out there came out this year and some horrible ones.
So don't be so dismissive to the whole industry just what you play only.

And we had some truly great games this year, or some that got patched to be truly great games.
So tell us what you are interested to, to have a more constructive discussion :)

Underboss
Exactly what eclap says.. I don't think it's so much that there are no good games at the moment, I think peoples expectation have changed and there's nothing really new. I mean, how times must they really release Far Cry?

In the earlier days, as games were evolving, the differences were quite notable. I don't really see this today.. the tech and the developers where pushing each other to the limit. Who remembers the "will it play" days of Half Life and Crysis?

Reloading some of the older games such as RTCW.. are just as entertaining as they were 18 years ago.

We seemed to have got obsessed with realism while forgetting the value of games for what they are. I like to feel like I'm playing a game.

i do agree

i watched a video on YT today about "Beat Saber" on VR

he said like you, until Beat Saber came along, and now hes blown away

so ive got to get my self a VR headset ..

Back
Top Bottom