BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Halo is basically just re-launched plus, if you loose connectivity, you get a 4G hot-spot, if you have a sim deal, you get double data (up to 5x sims).

Soldato
These promotions are just a sales tactic. When you sign up you sign up for 24 months!

I just renewed a few months ago and they still send me these marketing emails about 'Halo' of which none of the benefits actually interest me. It's just a way to get you to sign up for another 24 months.

Caporegime
I'd be very very slightly interested in the 5G backup thing if it wasn't a MiFi-style device they sent you in the post that would still leave you offline for 24 hours. The Business 4G Assure package makes a lot more sense as the dongle is always connected and ready to take over.

Soldato
These promotions are just a sales tactic. When you sign up you sign up for 24 months!

I just renewed a few months ago and they still send me these marketing emails about 'Halo' of which none of the benefits actually interest me. It's just a way to get you to sign up for another 24 months.

So rather than take the 5 seconds to opt out of the marketing emails, you spend longer than that complaining about them on here?

BT purchased EE, they have chosen to try and differentiate the relatively generic product they and every other reseller offer via OpenReach by offering a hotspot failover option. If you don’t use it, it costs them nothing. If you do use it, you’ll likely be grateful that you were up and running next working day.

Associate
Just something I have always wondered as I have never seen it on other peoples line stats
How come I sync at 20000 and not 19999 like other people, do I have something switched on or off, for my line to do that?
In that case why doesn't the upload sync at 80000?

Soldato
Just something I have always wondered as I have never seen it on other peoples line stats
How come I sync at 20000 and not 19999 like other people, do I have something switched on or off, for my line to do that?

I sync at 20000 as well.

Annotation-2019-12-02-144838.jpg

Man of Honour

Might be just different devices - but I used to sync slightly above 20000 when FTTC was first enabled in the early days then it changed to 20000 then later to 19999 not sure what was going on there - possible different versions of VDSL profile being used.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
We're in an FTTC area, and the last week or so there's been some contractors (I forget the name on their van) laying what looks to be fibre all around the roads here.

One of the local Facebook groups mentioned that someone asked them what they were doing and the answer was 'laying fibre for superfast broadband'.

Haven't had the chance to go and chat to them yet, but wondering if this will possibly be things getting setup to offer FTTP?

I hope so ;)

So following this I randomly checked our address on the Openreach site tonight for no real reason and was a nice surprise with it showing as now being able to get full fibre :)

After the brief excitement in my head went I then thought actually do I really need it :p. (Want yes, need probably not).

Currently in EE FTTC, speeds have dropped since we first had this around 2.5 years ago, modem currently showing just over 52meg down, 12meg up.

BT have their 50meg package up for 29.99 at the moment, with £100 gift card, which is £2 less than I pay now for near as the same speed.

What do people think, worth ‘upgrading’ to FTTP even though probably staying around the same speed (actually a little slower) than currently getting on FTTC, given the ability to ramp that up as needed in future? Where as on FTTC I’m maxed out already.

Or is it a case of why am I even asking this and why haven’t I ordered the 300odd meg package yet? ;)

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
That was my thinking, reliability and future proofing.

And I’m sure it won’t take much to talk myself into the 100meg package (or is it 150, I forget).

Now to read up on how it all gets installed, guessing they run a cable from the fibre in the street up to the house

With the gift card the 100odd meg package averages out just £2.50 a month more than we’re paying now, throw in some Quidco if there is any and it’s probably costing the same...

Last edited:
Caporegime
I’d get it done, order the 100Meg package and be done with it then if you need more in the future you can just ask for it. You’ll be doubling your speed.

Soldato
I’d move to FTTP purely for the reliability benefits, but also because of the speed. 50Mbps feels a bit slow now.
Indeed, we're approaching the 10 year anniversary of FTTC being formally introduced in the UK and most still cannot get any better. Can't imagine what people stuck with ASDL2+ feel.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Frustratingly the gift card promotion finished last night, any guesses as to if they'll run something similar after Christmas? :)

Soldato
Frustratingly the gift card promotion finished last night, any guesses as to if they'll run something similar after Christmas? :)

The offers run every month, they play with the numbers in terms of monthly price, free gift/gift card and cash back, but overall the end result is about the same.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Cheers, will see what pops up.

Genuinely shocked it's available, we had to fight for FTTC after the estate was built (2013) with only 1 meg ADSL being availble, FTTC was put in mid way through 2017.

So wasn't expecting FTTP to be along so soon, thankfully BT will cover any cancellation charges on the EE contract.

Man of Honour
Indeed, we're approaching the 10 year anniversary of FTTC being formally introduced in the UK and most still cannot get any better. Can't imagine what people stuck with ASDL2+ feel.

Yeah where I moved to recently is interesting - like 4 houses (one being mine) on one side of the village get FTTC all the rest have ADSL with average speed less than 2MBit! and I'm struggling LOL with 30/6 on the FTTC and 30-40/10 4G... (it's OK but where I was before we had 2x 80/20 lines).

Back
Top Bottom