URGENT, Gaming monitor advice, need help!

Soldato
So,
moving my office around. No more room for the 49" TV that acted as a monitor (6ft away from me). I want a gaming monitor to put on my desk (2.5ft away from me).
Got a RTX2070, so maybe looking at gsync, not sure.
Ideally 28-32", 120Mhz+, 4k.
Does such an animal exists for £400?
If not, what features would you sacrifice in order to get on budget?
Not bothered about curved (its a gimmick).
I'll plug AppleTV into the monitor for all my TV viewing requirements.
Been looking on Black FRiday/Cyber Monday deals and tbh OCUK have naff all. Plus their filtering is cack! They really need to sort that out.

Anyways.....urgent advice appreciated :)

Man of Honour
Why is this URGENT? Is the monitor being used for medical research or something? :p

anyway, no, you won’t find any screens of that size with 4K at 120Hz, they don’t currently exist. You can find some 27” models but they are going to cost a LOT more than your listed budget. You’d need to drop either the 4K resolution or the high refresh rate to get under the budget

for a gaming screen I’d suggest you stick with the high refresh rate and look instead for a 27” monitor with 1440p res. Plenty of those to choose from

Soldato
OP
Hi, thanks for the reply. It was urgent because i was hoping to take advantage of any black friday/cyber monday deals, but tbh OCUK didn't really have any deals that were still in stock. Nor did their competitors. So the urgency is off now, in favour of making an unrushed but informed choice :)
After reading about g-sync, freesync, adaptive sync etc, a lot of people simply opt for a higher refresh monitor (144Hz) that doesn't necessarily have any 'sync features and still enjoy much smoother gaming etc.
On reflection 27" might be best for me as i don't want to have to move my head to scan across the width of a 32" screen as it will only be 2.5ft from my face.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-27gl850-b-27-2560x1440-nano-ips-144hz-1ms-freesync-g-sync-compatible-widescreen-led-gaming-monit-mo-155-lg.html seems good even though it goes over my budget.
But i'm used to playing FPS games and stuff like Wildlands and Breakpoint on a 49" Toshiba TV @ 1080p, so i'm hoping that a 2k, 27" 144Hz monitor with speakers (without any 'sync features) would still be a huge improvement.
That's the hope anyway.

Man of Honour
Nearly all the high refresh rate screens will have variable refresh rate of some sort. If they are adaptive-sync screens (using the open standard) then you can use them from compatible modern AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards. The LG 27GL850 you mention is one of those screens for instance. The only thing to look out for with those adaptive-sync screens is that many do not conform to any specific testing or performance standards, and so sometimes the variable refresh rate (VRR) performance can vary. Look out for models that have been certified as Freesync 2 or G-sync Compatible and passed more stringent testing, or have been independently tested to show they have reliable VRR with a wide operating range and things like that.

If on the other hand you choose a screen which is Native G-sync, those have an added hardware module that means they6 currently only work with NVIDIA graphics cards. the added module does add cost though so you probably wouldn't be looking at those anyway

The LG 27GL850 would be an excellent choice, if you can find one in stock. they are very popular!

Soldato
Hi, thanks for the reply. It was urgent because i was hoping to take advantage of any black friday/cyber monday deals, but tbh OCUK didn't really have any deals that were still in stock. Nor did their competitors. So the urgency is off now, in favour of making an unrushed but informed choice :)
After reading about g-sync, freesync, adaptive sync etc, a lot of people simply opt for a higher refresh monitor (144Hz) that doesn't necessarily have any 'sync features and still enjoy much smoother gaming etc.
On reflection 27" might be best for me as i don't want to have to move my head to scan across the width of a 32" screen as it will only be 2.5ft from my face.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-27gl850-b-27-2560x1440-nano-ips-144hz-1ms-freesync-g-sync-compatible-widescreen-led-gaming-monit-mo-155-lg.html seems good even though it goes over my budget.
But i'm used to playing FPS games and stuff like Wildlands and Breakpoint on a 49" Toshiba TV @ 1080p, so i'm hoping that a 2k, 27" 144Hz monitor with speakers (without any 'sync features) would still be a huge improvement.
That's the hope anyway.

You really won't be moving your head around much at 2.5ft from 32"... that's normal. I'm just under that from mine and it's a perfect size (at 4K)... 27" is too small for me. Depends what you're used to also, and if you are coming from 49", then 27" could be quite a step down in size.

If you want high refresh though, 4K is out unless you spend a small fortune. Depending on your budget, you might want to consider 34" Ultrawide @ 3440x1440.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
That's the hope anyway.
LG 27GL83A is the monitor you want. It is nearly identical to the 850, apart from the type of backlight used and USB ports. Everything else, panel etc is exactly the same, it even shows as a 850 when plugged in

NO COMPETITOR TALK PLEASE

. I'm annoyed I missed that deal as I've been looking for a monitor too. Either way 83A or 850, none around at the moment so have to wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Got a RTX2070, so maybe looking at gsync, not sure.
Ideally 28-32", 120Mhz+, 4k.
Does such an animal exists for £400?

Don't bother with GSync any more. Get a 'Gsync compatible' monitor. Sell one of your children and get yourself the Acer Nitro 4K monitor for around £800.

Soldato
OP
Don't bother with GSync any more. Get a 'Gsync compatible' monitor. Sell one of your children and get yourself the Acer Nitro 4K monitor for around £800.
Lol, sadly the kids are all grown up and have moved on. My lad does have a 27" Predator g-sync which he loves.
So, whats the dealio with curved screens? Always thought of them as gimmick myself.

Soldato
OP
LG UltraGear 32GK850F 31.5-inch Monitor- 16:9 QHD 2560x1440 144Hz, AMD Radeon FreeSync 2, VESA DisplayHDR 400

Surely this would do me at around £424. Breaks £400 but worth it for the screen real estate?

Back
Top Bottom