Who here owns a Fiesta ST?

Soldato
I've done the man maths. Roughly the same price on petrol but cheaper on insurance as its not modified.

Going to leave work early and test drive a 2014 ST3 (62k) one that's close by.

Anything to watch out for as a potential buyer?

There is a recall for ST's built between 2010 and upto 2015 for coolant issues:
https://www.whatcar.com/news/ford-ecoboost-engine-recall-–-what-you-need-to-know/n17972
https://car-recalls.eu/recall/ford-fiesta-st-2010-2014/

Definitely check that it's had the work done if the recall applies to the vehicle:
https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-recall

Soldato
If the car is with a dealer they should have had the work done if it wasn't already.

Other than that there isn't really any big problems with them. Mine was great for 2 years even though it would have been in the recall. Some came from the factory with lose hoses, but that would have been noticed by now.

Last edited:
Associate
Right I need tyre advice. Which are better?

Michelin Pilot Sport 4s or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5s?

The Goodyear are a couple of quid cheaper but there isn’t much in it price wise.

Associate
Anyone here made the jump from a MK2 Focus ST (I have an S40 T5 but essentially the same car) to a MK7 Fiesta ST?

My new commute is 6.2 miles each way, mostly through a city with a few country roads in between, currently averaging 18.2mpg with the most gentle of driving in the T5, so have been thinking about swapping it for something more economical yet still fun when needed.

Sadly cycling isn't really an option, 60% of the route is great but the other 40% would likely have me in a wheelchair within weeks!

How much better on fuel are the MK7 Fiesta ST's? Are they likely to be that much better being a 4 pot?

Soldato
Anyone here made the jump from a MK2 Focus ST (I have an S40 T5 but essentially the same car) to a MK7 Fiesta ST?

My new commute is 6.2 miles each way, mostly through a city with a few country roads in between, currently averaging 18.2mpg with the most gentle of driving in the T5, so have been thinking about swapping it for something more economical yet still fun when needed.

Sadly cycling isn't really an option, 60% of the route is great but the other 40% would likely have me in a wheelchair within weeks!

How much better on fuel are the MK7 Fiesta ST's? Are they likely to be that much better being a 4 pot?

Economy can vary quite considerably. On a run up to Mountune HQ from Cornwall I had an indicated 54mpg but due to it being a weekend car it's currently sat on 28mpg because most of the driving in it is spirited currently. It's definitely better than a 5 pot!

This is with is being a MR230 also.

Associate

On a similar distance commute my ST200 averages about 33mpg on the trip computer.

Soldato
Hey everyone

Thought I would ask in here, have a fiesta st-line with 18" alloys, do you know if its possible to get a space saver wheel for that size alloy on my car, I think the space savers are 15" but unsure if the space saver would be ok with the 18" alloys on my car if I was required to use it. I found a site that sells them but it says for cars with wheels up to 17".

I guess I could get a full sized alloy but that would take up boot space and extra weight, I don't want to ever have to use that foam stuff I have currently.

Thanks

Caporegime
Hey everyone

Thought I would ask in here, have a fiesta st-line with 18" alloys, do you know if its possible to get a space saver wheel for that size alloy on my car, I think the space savers are 15" but unsure if the space saver would be ok with the 18" alloys on my car if I was required to use it. I found a site that sells them but it says for cars with wheels up to 17".

I guess I could get a full sized alloy but that would take up boot space and extra weight, I don't want to ever have to use that foam stuff I have currently.

Thanks

If you put the tyre size from the car and the spare into here, it'll show you if the rolling radius is okay.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Associate
On a similar distance commute my ST200 averages about 33mpg on the trip computer.

Good to know, thanks.

Looks like the Fiesta ST is the way forward then, I'm going to miss that 5 pot burble though :(

Is the ST-3 worth getting over a tidy ST-2? Other than the digital temp display in the middle of the ST-3 I can't see any real differences?

Are there any years to avoid?

Soldato
Yes!

Bigger display for Nav, climate control, possibly parking sensors, cruise control, auto headlights/wipers, keyless entry and folding mirrors.

Soldato
5 years ago I joined the Fiesta ST OC forums, despite not (and still not) owning a Fiesta ST in that time. Looking for a new car for a few months time and all I can see that attracts me is either an ST3 Mk7 or recently a Polo GTI.

Mk8's do look far nicer but more than i'm willing to spend on a car.

Soldato
MK8's rear look like a B-Max IMO and the front's not 'ST' enough for my liking :)

My cousin has got a MK8 and he loves it though - He's come from an 18 plate BMW M140i as well, so Ford obviously did something right with that little 3 cylinder banger.

Funnily enough I'd be coming from a 340i, minus an 8 month gap away due to work. I do agree with the rear end looking a bit crap, but interior wise it's certainly a step up. That said, the Mk7 rear isn't brilliant either :p

Soldato
The way the rear lights were shaped in to the rear quarter panel on the mk7 looked better. Same with the mk2 Focus.

I guess just slapping them on the rear in the normal place reduces production costs or something :/

Caporegime
I think my thermostat is stuck open, not losing any coolant but it takes ages to warm up and only gets up to temp around town, as soon as I drive on A roads and motorways it cools down to 2 bars. Heater isn't very warm either.

Any idea on cost etc? Looks like a pain to get to.

Back
Top Bottom