Untested items on ebay listed as used

Caporegime
New (Other) and Seller Refurbished both need removing IMO.

It's either New, Used or Broken.

I automatically ignore everything by selecting just used when I'm looking to buy used. And I automatically ignore every by selecting new when I'm looking to buy new.

New other = used IMO. It's someone trying to pass off used or second hand goods as new. For example someone has bought some trainers. Worn them 1 or 2 times then decided to sell them on.

Seller refurbished is again just a fancy way of someone saying it's used but they cleaned it up a bit.

Soldato
The thread is about "used" "untested" and if these terms can be used for the same item.

Item is not new and they havn't tested it - not sure whats hard to understand about that and why you're having an issue with it? How else would you like them to phrase it?

If you're not comfortable buying something thats not new and not checked to see if its still functional then don't buy it, simples.

Soldato

It's either New, Used or Broken.

I automatically ignore everything by selecting just used when I'm looking to buy used. And I automatically ignore every by selecting new when I'm looking to buy new.

New other = used IMO. It's someone trying to pass off used or second hand goods as new. For example someone has bought some trainers. Worn them 1 or 2 times then decided to sell them on.

Seller refurbished is again just a fancy way of someone saying it's used but they cleaned it up a bit.

Pretty much agree tbh, I don't get the seller refurbished category at all!

New (other) could be applicable in some marginal cases, e.g. as I mentioned above warranty replacements, factory seconds, open box etc.

for instance an old present you were given which you never used, but you can't say its new, but it isn't used

Surely it would be new if its never been used?

Soldato
If it is an individual seller, not some shop or bulk seller type then it is a big red flag... like it doesn't take long to plug in say a console and check it still works.
But it can take a long time to go through other things and test every single little function on them, especially if you're selling on behalf of someone else.

For example, I recently bought a Casio Rangeman, with full Protrek level functionality. The elderly lady selling it had no clue how it worked or what to look for, and the actual previous owner was her deceased husband, so it's not like she could ask.

It's either New, Used or Broken... Seller refurbished is again just a fancy way of someone saying it's used but they cleaned it up a bit.
Gameboy Advance SP.
Basic AGS-001 modded to AGS-101, with custom shell, NOS internals and combination of both OEM and aftermarket parts... commonly sold as 'seller refurbished', since the modders do tend to spruce it up in the process.
It's 'used', but good as new almost to the point of being Trigger's Broom, rather than being caked in finger grease and child grit and whatever other grubby stuff you usually find on normal used GBA-SPs.
One seller in particular is well-known* actually refurbs and mods them as a business, incidentally. Most of his items are actually better than new, TBH!

*Within the community of enthusiast Gameboy Advance collectors and modders.

Caporegime
But it can take a long time to go through other things and test every single little function on them, especially if you're selling on behalf of someone else.

For example, I recently bought a Casio Rangeman, with full Protrek level functionality. The elderly lady selling it had no clue how it worked or what to look for, and the actual previous owner was her deceased husband, so it's not like she could ask.

Gameboy Advance SP.
Basic AGS-001 modded to AGS-101, with custom shell, NOS internals and combination of both OEM and aftermarket parts... commonly sold as 'seller refurbished', since the modders do tend to spruce it up in the process.
It's 'used', but good as new almost to the point of being Trigger's Broom, rather than being caked in finger grease and child grit and whatever other grubby stuff you usually find on normal used GBA-SPs.
One seller in particular is well-known* actually refurbs and mods them as a business, incidentally. Most of his items are actually better than new, TBH!

*Within the community of enthusiast Gameboy Advance collectors and modders.

If he's that well known he should be selling them off his own website not ebay.

He's an exception.

Every time I see seller refurbished they have done nothing but strip something apart and sell each piece individually after cleaning it a bit.

Associate
OP
Item is not new and they havn't tested it - not sure whats hard to understand about that and why you're having an issue with it? How else would you like them to phrase it?

If you're not comfortable buying something thats not new and not checked to see if its still functional then don't buy it, simples.

Untested/Parts Only could be in the same option. This doesn't work with Used/Untested as "used" implies it is functional which untested doesn't. Without a separate option for "untested", parts/not working is the only option.
I certainly would not buy an item that is advertised as used but untested. I would however report to ebay and this seems to have worked previously.

Last edited:
Soldato
If he's that well known he should be selling them off his own website not ebay.
He does have his own website, too.
However, eBay, Etsy, Amazon, Farcebook and various other sites reach a far wider audience and have various systems already in place that make it easier to sell, especially to international customers.
Quite a few businesses do it for this reason... even places like Scan, as well as Millets and other high-street shops also have stores on these sites.

He's an exception.
I don't seem to have any problems finding seller-refurbished stuff that does satisfy the full description officially sanctioned by Ebay:
"Seller refurbished
An item that has been restored to working order by the eBay seller or a third party not approved by the manufacturer. This means the item has been inspected, cleaned and repaired to full working order and is in excellent condition. This item may or may not be in its original packaging. See the seller’s listing for full details".

Back
Top Bottom