• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official OCUK Cinebench R20 benchmark Thread ***

Soldato
Meh... its my thread. :D If someone posts a score i'll put it on the board, other than that the replies to this thread server no purpose.

Intel will not fail, they are too big to fail, they can buy their way out of this predicament even if it lasts for years, they already are doing that with cash backs and upgrade buy backs, in the server space they are ponzi scheming, selling CPU's at full price to make the books look good with huge cash backs and buy back later on to entice customers to stick with Intel.

The only problem with that is keeping that up for long enough, the hope its long enough to keep AMD from growing too much because if AMD can stick it out for long enough and still be strong the ponzi scheme will eventually turn around and bite them hard because that cashback and buy back debt eventually catches you up if you cannot shut your competition down.

AMD have to stick it out until that debt starts to show on Intel's books.

The thing is AMD stated from nothing, they are gaining what is still relative to them a huge market share and revenue, because of what they can do with so little AMD have a good chance of riding it out, but Intel will never go, AMD tho can and IMO will chip enough off the old block for themselves.

Do you believe Intel will be diminished to the point they are unable to come up with a response at all? My own position is Intel will lose market share to AMD as they rightly should with the latter having a very competitive product. However Intel as you also mention are too big to fail. Intel with their resources and capability will be able to come up with a response if not in the near term, definitely the medium - longer term. Fact of the matter is Intel is a Goliath at this point and while AMD will most definitely chip away at the market, personally I do not see Intel going into the ether anytime soon, even with their incentives on their sales to server customers needing to be written off. Do you actually know the financial impact of Intel's upgrade and buy back scheme? I still fully expect while margins will be diminished, they will still be churning a profit in this segment.

To be frank, I think my initial comment has been totally extrapolated the wrong way making me sound like I cannot wait to see how Intel immediately responds and when they will somehow AMD will be left trailing again. No, to clear up my comment (although its quiet simple)

1. Thanks for keeping thread updated
  2. AMD's CPU's are great in terms of IPC and amazing comeback
  3. Can't wait to see what Intel do in response (if ) no mention of timeframe or how Intel will suffer in the meantime, it was a simple comment to keep things light.

Caporegime
OP
Do you believe Intel will be diminished to the point they are unable to come up with a response at all? My own position is Intel will lose market share to AMD as they rightly should with the latter having a very competitive product. However Intel as you also mention are too big to fail. Intel with their resources and capability will be able to come up with a response if not in the near term, definitely the medium - longer term. Fact of the matter is Intel is a Goliath at this point and while AMD will most definitely chip away at the market, personally I do not see Intel going into the ether anytime soon, even with their incentives on their sales to server customers needing to be written off. Do you actually know the financial impact of Intel's upgrade and buy back scheme? I still fully expect while margins will be diminished, they will still be churning a profit in this segment.

To be frank, I think my initial comment has been totally extrapolated the wrong way making me sound like I cannot wait to see how Intel immediately responds and when they will somehow AMD will be left trailing again. No, to clear up my comment (although its quiet simple)

1. Thanks for keeping thread updated
  2. AMD's CPU's are great in terms of IPC and amazing comeback
  3. Can't wait to see what Intel do in response (if ) no mention of timeframe or how Intel will suffer in the meantime, it was a simple comment to keep things light.

No no no... i didn't think you wanted to see AMD in anyway redeminshed or anything like that, that's not what i read in your comment :)

Only a fool would think that Intel can't get back to a competitive performance stance with AMD again, i think what i am saying is the near future is AMD's, the medium and probably long term IMO is going to be a blow for blow fight between them.

I don't think it will go back to Bulldozer vs Haswell, Intel do have all the money but that alone does not buy you a crushing leadership, i have alluded to it before, i think AMD can do more with much less than Intel, they are a talented innovative company, AMD have a long history of coming from nowhere with game changing technology, focusing on that history personally i rate AMD higher as a semiconductor designer than Intel, significantly higher.

I still think Intel will be by far the largest, but diminished, Intel are not going to hold on to their process leadership, they have lost that and i don't see them regaining it, Intel's overheads are massive compared with AMD and with that what they won't be able to do moving forward is charge almost whatever they like for their products because AMD will be right there undercutting them and occupying a small patch of Intel's back yard, so yes. I think Intel's revenue longer term will be lower than it has been historically, AMD's higher.

Soldato
No no no... i didn't think you wanted to see AMD in anyway redeminshed or anything like that, that's not what i read in your comment :)

Only a fool would think that Intel can't get back to a competitive performance stance with AMD again, i think what i am saying is the near future is AMD's, the medium and probably long term IMO is going to be a blow for blow fight between them.

I don't think it will go back to Bulldozer vs Haswell, Intel do have all the money but that alone does not buy you a crushing leadership, i have alluded to it before, i think AMD can do more with much less than Intel, they are a talented innovative company, AMD have a long history of coming from nowhere with game changing technology, focusing on that history personally i rate AMD higher as a semiconductor designer than Intel, significantly higher.

I still think Intel will be by far the largest, but diminished, Intel are not going to hold on to their process leadership, they have lost that and i don't see them regaining it, Intel's overheads are massive compared with AMD and with that what they won't be able to do moving forward is charge almost whatever they like for their products because AMD will be right there undercutting them and occupying a small patch of Intel's back yard, so yes. I think Intel's revenue longer term will be lower than it has been historically, AMD's higher.

Ahh right, then yeah sounds like we don't disagree then aside from possible timescales though not sure what you consider medium term and long term compared to what I do. I expect Intel will not be as competitive for 3-4 years. after that I imagine they will have some competitive products start coming online and overcome their foundry capacity issues and die size problems, likely sooner on the two latter issues.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Ahh right, then yeah sounds like we don't disagree then aside from possible timescales though not sure what you consider medium term and long term compared to what I do. I expect Intel will not be as competitive for 3-4 years. after that I imagine they will have some competitive products start coming online and overcome their foundry capacity issues and die size problems, likely sooner on the two latter issues.
I think in 2-3 years time we will see something that at the very least matches what AMD have at the time and in the next 3-4 years time maybe something that beats what AMD have at the time (at which point they will go back charging silly moneys).

As I said before, unless they go back to beating AMD by huge margins, I will be sticking with AMD as long as they can stay within 10-20% performance per core. For example I am not interested if AMD can beat Intel but they need double the amount of cores like back in Bulldozer days (cores which are of no use to me as I do not video encode etc.)

Soldato

Intel are big and have huge cash reserves, but they are not the biggest company in the world by some considerable margin. But they have made the same mistakes as what absolutely was the biggest company in the world for a lot longer than Intel have existed, namely Kodak. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodak).
The beggining of the end for Kodak was a small Japanese company called Fuji.........................the rest is history. Just like Kodak, Intel has spent years bribing and overcharging for a product and IMO will end up much the same as Kodak is now a bit part player in a market that has overtaken them.

Caporegime
OP

Agreed :)

Intel are big and have huge cash reserves, but they are not the biggest company in the world by some considerable margin. But they have made the same mistakes as what absolutely was the biggest company in the world for a lot longer than Intel have existed, namely Kodak. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodak).
The beggining of the end for Kodak was a small Japanese company called Fuji.........................the rest is history. Just like Kodak, Intel has spent years bribing and overcharging for a product and IMO will end up much the same as Kodak is now a bit part player in a market that has overtaken them.

Or Nokia, a huge company that got very comfortable, by the time they realised they were falling behind in technology leadership it was too late.

That won't happen to Intel but they have been too comfortable and slow to react.

Soldato
Would 3950X count as HEDT or mainstream is the question ;)

Very quick mess about with mine on air and it’s pushing 10k R20 score on multi core.

Back
Top Bottom