High income child benefit charge...oh ****

Soldato
I'm only too aware of the charge. Before I get into the tale, let me give you some necessary background.
I met my now wife 8 years ago. She was a part-time Pilates instructor and single mum. As such, she was getting a number of benefits. I'm a high earner so when we moved in together she rang the benefits folks and laid everything out to them. They immediately cancelled all benefits but - importantly - told her that she could continue to claim child benefit. My wife even queried it given my tax bracket and was told unequivocally that she could continue to claim. Sadly, she never mentioned the conversation to me (hey, we were moving in together, merging two families and had more important things to think about :)).
Fast forward a few years and, out of the blue, I get a letter from HMRC detailing my crimes, outlining the amount I needed to repay to cover the charge and penalty for not paying it at the time. I was convinced it was an error as I knew nothing about it. My wife then tells me about the £20 that she was receiving (weekly or monthly, I can't recall) and how the benefits people told her she could still claim. I duly get in touch with HMRC and say all this and get the response that, irrespective on what the circumstances are, I'm in the wrong and need to pay both the money and the hefty penalty for not owning up about something I had no idea about. With no option, that is exactly what I did. Not just that time (covering previous years) but also the next May to cover the tax year we were then in.
The icing on the cake was that my wife rings the child benefit folks to stop it (frankly we didn't need it and it just kind of vanished into our account so it really was pointless). The woman on the phone listens to my wife explain the situation and then says "oh, you can still claim it." My wife responds with the fact that I'm a high earner and then gets told "You can still claim it for yourself but he has to pay it back at the end of the tax year. It's like a savings club that he can't touch. Why not do it and get yourself something nice?" My wife was so gobsmacked that she just said "cancel it" and put the phone down.
To this day I can see no benefit from the woman's advice other than to actively cause division in a marriage. We laugh about it now but the sudden payment need lead to us losing a family holiday for that year. As someone else stated, ignorance is not accepted as an excuse. Somehow, I doubt "some gold-digging man-hater at the Benefits Agency told me to do it" would be accepted either. :D

TDLR: I got shafted by this as well and my wife got some terrible advice some the Benefits office. I now actively loathe HMRC and the benefits system.

Associate
To this day I can see no benefit from the woman's advice other than to actively cause division in a marriage.

As I said earlier on the thread, claiming child benefit when you have no other income maintains the NI record and counts towards the state pension which will be beneficial to your wife down the line.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

As I said earlier on the thread, claiming child benefit when you have no other income maintains the NI record and counts towards the state pension which will be beneficial to your wife down the line.
When I started my degree we transferred the child ben to me for exactly that reason. By the time I finish my Ph.D that will be 8 years NI conts that I wouldn't otherwise have. She's since entered the HIC bracket but I still claim.

Transmission breaker
Don
I got hit, I think they want about 8.5k from the last few years, since about 2012. I am awaiting a letter to "confirm my calculations"....
First letter I ever received from them was this one, saying they think I owe them a wedge.
Had a very stressful couple of days afterwards, as the Mrs had no idea. She was not working, was told to claim on the documentation so she would maintain NI contributions. She was very upset about it all.
I am on PAYE, so we just figured it was all covered. My basic was always under the figures, but commission and bonus were causing the problems.
She always asked me what my salary was and I always told her my basic figure.

No one tells you these things, I had no idea until the day the letter came, apparently I should be on Self Assessment, which I don't get as I am on PAYE, and have no funny business in my income. They KNEW I was not eligible, how much I owed each year, but made me calculate it, and the waited till now to contact me?!

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm only too aware of the charge. Before I get into the tale, let me give you some necessary background.
I met my now wife 8 years ago. She was a part-time Pilates instructor and single mum. As such, she was getting a number of benefits. I'm a high earner so when we moved in together she rang the benefits folks and laid everything out to them. They immediately cancelled all benefits but - importantly - told her that she could continue to claim child benefit. My wife even queried it given my tax bracket and was told unequivocally that she could continue to claim. Sadly, she never mentioned the conversation to me (hey, we were moving in together, merging two families and had more important things to think about :)).
Fast forward a few years and, out of the blue, I get a letter from HMRC detailing my crimes, outlining the amount I needed to repay to cover the charge and penalty for not paying it at the time. I was convinced it was an error as I knew nothing about it. My wife then tells me about the £20 that she was receiving (weekly or monthly, I can't recall) and how the benefits people told her she could still claim. I duly get in touch with HMRC and say all this and get the response that, irrespective on what the circumstances are, I'm in the wrong and need to pay both the money and the hefty penalty for not owning up about something I had no idea about. With no option, that is exactly what I did. Not just that time (covering previous years) but also the next May to cover the tax year we were then in.
The icing on the cake was that my wife rings the child benefit folks to stop it (frankly we didn't need it and it just kind of vanished into our account so it really was pointless). The woman on the phone listens to my wife explain the situation and then says "oh, you can still claim it." My wife responds with the fact that I'm a high earner and then gets told "You can still claim it for yourself but he has to pay it back at the end of the tax year. It's like a savings club that he can't touch. Why not do it and get yourself something nice?" My wife was so gobsmacked that she just said "cancel it" and put the phone down.
To this day I can see no benefit from the woman's advice other than to actively cause division in a marriage. We laugh about it now but the sudden payment need lead to us losing a family holiday for that year. As someone else stated, ignorance is not accepted as an excuse. Somehow, I doubt "some gold-digging man-hater at the Benefits Agency told me to do it" would be accepted either. :D

TDLR: I got shafted by this as well and my wife got some terrible advice some the Benefits office. I now actively loathe HMRC and the benefits system.

Wall of text. Just contact the Daily Mail, including your house value, and their comment section will then guide you.

Soldato
Found out about this earlier in the year and owed HMRC thousands. Literally thousands for several years back (3 kids)
I then read an article about a women who got away with it by basically complaining and appealing. Anyone see it?

Mum wins £5,000 back from HMRC after 8 month appeal over Child Benefit charges
EXCLUSIVE: Mum of two Leanne has spent eight months in dispute with HMRC over a change in law that she knew nothing about

Transmission breaker
Don
Found out about this earlier in the year and owed HMRC thousands. Literally thousands for several years back (3 kids)
I then read an article about a women who got away with it by basically complaining and appealing. Anyone see it?

EXCLUSIVE: Mum of two Leanne has spent eight months in dispute with HMRC over a change in law that she knew nothing about

Looks very interesting. I will have to have a look into it.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime

Makes sense. On the call with HMRC they stated that after 2013 they included a lot of information about the charge to the public, therefore it’s not an excuse to not know. I’m guessing claiming prior to 2013 information wasn’t as available so you could use that in your defence.

Soldato
It's all a bit confusing this Child Tax Credit and when/how to claim

I earn £65k a year, wife is on £40k and is currently on maternity leave (baby is 6 months old). According to the HMRC tax calculator, I would have to pay back all of the tax credit, however, some people have said it's worth signing up for it for my wife's State Pension and NI contributions? Can someone clarify why?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime

I earn £65k a year, wife is on £40k and is currently on maternity leave (baby is 6 months old). According to the HMRC tax calculator, I would have to pay back all of the tax credit, however, some people have said it's worth signing up for it for my wife's State Pension and NI contributions? Can someone clarify why?

I’m pretty sure maternity pay counts towards NI as well so that wouldn’t leave any gaps in your wife’s payments.

Don

I’m pretty sure maternity pay counts towards NI as well so that wouldn’t leave any gaps in your wife’s payments.

The only exception is if your wife takes the full year off of work and thus taking 3 months unpaid leave. In that case, she'd be missing three months worth of NI contributions.

If she's not taken any unpaid time off (i.e. SMP is covering all her time off) then there's no point in you claiming IIRC.

[Edit] Just this morning I've finished submitting my 2018-2019 tax return to repay my child benefit too. I knew I would have to repay it, but I claimed anyway since if I lose my job it's easier to repay what I owe than to try and claim whatever I'm owed later.

Associate

Child tax credit and child benefit are two different things. :)

It's worth signing up when one partner isn't earning or making NI contributions as it keeps the NI record going and counts as full years credit towards their state pension helping them receive the full state pension upon retirement. Your wife will be fine as she is earning so unless you fancy sticking £10k or so into your pension, it's not worth claiming. Provided she continues to work.

Whether there will be a state pension in 30 years is another matter, my retirement planning assumes not.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Child benefit. Child tax credit is something else.

In your case CB would only be worth signing up for if your wife expects significant periods of no ni payment, which doesn't look to be the case.

Soldato
Had a letter for 2018 to 2019. Registered for an assessment, think I have to wait to hear from them now. This is all new to me. Never been in high rate tax before.
Checked in a calculator and looks like I'll owe £139 back.
Will I get fined too?

Going to be hit for 2019 to 2020 as well. Is there anything I need to do, or because I've registered now I'm ok?

Don
Had a letter for 2018 to 2019. Registered for an assessment, think I have to wait to hear from them now. This is all new to me. Never been in high rate tax before.
Checked in a calculator and looks like I'll owe £139 back.
Will I get fined too?

Going to be hit for 2019 to 2020 as well. Is there anything I need to do, or because I've registered now I'm ok?

For 2019/2020 you should wait for your April P60 and submit a self-assessment based on that

You still have time to submit your self-assessment for 2018/2019, you have until 31st Jan 2020 (or better 31st Dec to make repayments via PAYE)

Associate
funny enough ive had one of these letters due to the ex, now three years worth to pay back best part of nearly 10k including fines merry xmas me:(
watch out it is classed as household so doesn't even matter if you're not together....

Associate
Stumbled across this thread, and think its going to apply to me shortly potentially via my wife, but I have a few questions.

I'm well sub £50k and the child benefit goes into my account.
My wife's salary has taken 2 jumps in the last year, and come April 2020 her salary could potentially be above £50k ... but it was well under at the beginning of April 2019, so across the year i think her overall earning would be less than £50k.

What would determine whether its over or under come April 2020 - a P60 form?

As I read it, for earning over £50k and the child benefits ... you need to fill out a self assessment. Who would need to do that in my case?

- Me ( earning <£50k, but getting the child benefit )
- Wife ( earning >£50k, but not getting the child bebnefit ? )

Or does the HMRC send anything to alert you ?

Don
Stumbled across this thread, and think its going to apply to me shortly potentially via my wife, but I have a few questions.

My wife's salary has taken 2 jumps in the last year, and come April 2020 her salary could potentially be above £50k ... but it was well under at the beginning of April 2019, so across the year i think her overall earning would be less than £50k.

As I read it, for earning over £50k and the child benefits ... you need to fill out a self assessment. Who would need to do that in my case?

Yes, you'll need to review the figures on the P60 at the end of the year.

Your wife would need to complete the self-assessment, despite you claim it (it's based on the household).

Don't wait for HMRC to tell you, if you do they might attach late penalties to it.

Associate

Are you making pension contributions and do you have a salary sacrifice scheme at work?

Back
Top Bottom