Extending Oculus Rift Range

Associate
Just looking for a bit of quick advice please.

I've just ordered a Rift S for the family for Christmas.

My gaming PC is in the study next to the living room but also connected to my TV via a 5 metre HDMI cable?

What extension cables will I need to buy to run the rift in the living room? Is it just the case of getting a 5m DP extension and a 5m USB 3.0 extension?

Thanks

Soldato
You are beyond the limits of what USB and DisplayPort can reach, so you will need an active display port extension cable and the same for the USB 3 cable. I don't know what brands to recommend, sorry.

Associate
OP
You are beyond the limits of what USB and DisplayPort can reach, so you will need an active display port extension cable and the same for the USB 3 cable. I don't know what brands to recommend, sorry.

Thanks, I do have a USB 3.0 extension with a repeater which has worked with other devices. I'll try that first.

As to the DP cable, there seems to be quite a lot of conflicting info. Some people saying a standard cable has worked where an active cable hasn't and vice versa. Must be brand dependant so I'll look in to it a bit more and see which active cables people have used.

Soldato
If you find a solution, definitely share it - I'm sure others will be interested too.

For myself, even a short extension might be worthwhile, just so I can be a bit more flexible with positioning.

Associate
OP
If you find a solution, definitely share it - I'm sure others will be interested too.

For myself, even a short extension might be worthwhile, just so I can be a bit more flexible with positioning.

Ok, will do.

It looks like a repeater should do the trick but they're about £80. Also, one of the reviews on it said didn't work for Oculus Rift S but can't see any reason why it shouldn't.

So I'd need a Powered USB 3.0 cable probably connected to a hub so I can plug in the Rift, Xbox wireless adapter, wireless mouse and keyboard. Plus a 5m DP cable to a DP repeater and then plug the rift in to that.

At this rate, I'm tempted to just carry the PC in for game nights and back again!

Soldato
I assume it'd be easier for games using the touch controllers. They connect to the headset rather than the computer, right?
So the only USB device you'd need is the headset itself then.

Associate
OP
Just browsed Reddit and the Oculus forums and I think I'm just going to settle for moving the PC each time.

Pain in the arse but there doesn't seem to be a consensus on a solution that regularly works.

Soldato
I run with 2m passive extension cables which is easily done without issue. The 2m gets me to the door of my study, then the 5m headset cable gets me into my play space in the next room.
  • Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Extension Cable in Black 2m
  • Rankie DP Extension Cable, 1.8m DisplayPort Male to Female Extension Cable (Black) - R1332
Some people have had success with 3m passive but that is when problems can start to appear. Above that you need repeaters and all the problems they bring.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I run with 2m passive extension cables which is easily done without issue. The 2m gets me to the door of my study, then the 5m headset cable gets me into my play space in the next room.
  • Rankie DP Extension Cable, 1.8m DisplayPort Male to Female Extension Cable (Black) - R1332
Some people have had success with 3m passive but that is when problems can start to appear. Above that you need repeaters and all the problems they bring.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I'd rather avoid repeaters and so on but 2m won't be quite enough in my case unfortunately.

Soldato

That's great info, thanks. I think I will get these myself. Will allow me to route the cable through the hutch of my desk rather than around the outside - which will be far neater.

Associate
are these extensions to make it easy to plug the Rift S in each time? Have ordered an S for Xmas but the PC/monitor/TV are all back to back.
The PC is on the floor but in the middle of 2 desks. Should I run the two extension cables to the edge of the PC desk to make it really easy to plug the headset in each time it is used.
the desk is too small to leave the S on all the time.

Soldato

Just to back this up, I can report that these exact cables worked perfectly for me too. :)

I actually found that swapping from Rift to Rift S gave me a bit more flexibility too - not having to face the computer (and lightboxes) means that you had a bit more leeway on how far from the computer you are. But this takes it a whole lot further. Means I don't have to worry about my daughter getting carried away and yanking something.

Soldato
I ordered those exact cables and unfortunately get a black screen when starting Beat Saber, it goes away when the extensions are removed :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Just Beat Saber or any title? Might be worth trying just one extension at a time to see if it is a Display or USB issue. I think this can sometimes be a USB power issue.

Soldato
Just Beat Saber or any title? Might be worth trying just one extension at a time to see if it is a Display or USB issue. I think this can sometimes be a USB power issue.

Tried it again this morning and found the same problem even with just the USB 3.0.. the Displayport would show a connection and then lose it a second later, Installed new Nvidia drivers and the problem has gone away and the cables now both work!

Thanks for your help.. very strange the issue should arise on the day I try the new cables!

EDIT - Worked for 10 mins before and now back to black screens again which go away with the Displayport extension removed, the USB lead isn't the problem!

Last edited:
Associate
might be near the tolerance limit with extensions, so slightly weaker connection, or the gpu isnt quite pushing enough voltage into the cable, something like that :x

Associate
I bought both the 2m cables but seem to have an issue with the DP extension. Whenever it is plugged in we get issues with the connection.
What happens is that on the PC monitor we can see exactly what the VR SHOULD see, but there is no display on the Rift S
However, is the cable faulty? Or is this simply a Rift S thing.
I still want to unplug and put away - so do I return the 2m cable or buy a 1m cable.

Back
Top Bottom