Poll: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2019, Yas Island - Race 21/21

Rate the 2019 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
Soldato
Thanks @Shimmy - I always read but rarely contribute to the thread, good work mate.

I fell asleep during the race and missed about 15 laps but nothing exciting had happened. Shame at the end. I'm not a big Hamilton fan but this year has been his best in my opinion in a car that hasn't dominated throughout. It was interesting to see the racing without drs on a track with such effective drs zones too. Crofty has started to do my head in for the last few races though, and especially in this where every straight he was like, " they'd be side by side with drs" etc.

Man of Honour
You think a race disqualification is a proportionate response for what is ultimately a bureaucratic mistake? Really?

Yup. Was either deliberate or incompetence. But it was known before the race started. More fuel added than the FIA were notified about. Add in the other technical directives issued about evading the fuel flow sensor and so on, it's not beyond doubt that more fuel was added so it seems like they remained inside the fuel limits, an ability to burn extra 4.5% without it being noticed... Nice.

And it's not the first time Ferrari have got away with a ridiculous fine when everyone else gets a proper penalty this year either. *cough unsafe release cough*

Associate
Yup. Was either deliberate or incompetence. But it was known before the race started. More fuel added than the FIA were notified about. Add in the other technical directives issued about evading the fuel flow sensor and so on, it's not beyond doubt that more fuel was added so it seems like they remained inside the fuel limits, an ability to burn extra 4.5% without it being noticed... Nice.

And it's not the first time Ferrari have got away with a ridiculous fine when everyone else gets a proper penalty this year either. *cough unsafe release cough*

But still Bottas was able to drive away from a Ferrari (I forget which one) when it would have breezed past before so it didn’t give them much advantage.
Remind me again about unsafe Ferrari release?

Man of Honour
But still Bottas was able to drive away from a Ferrari (I forget which one) when it would have breezed past before so it didn’t give them much advantage.
Remind me again about unsafe Ferrari release?

Vettel. Who had been told to switch into Engine mode 4, the lower performance and fuel saving one.

Interestingly, Vettel's car was not checked after this was discovered on Leclerc's car. :confused:

Germany. Leclerc pulling out in front of Grosjean. Got a €5k fine only.
Everyone else gets at least a 5 second penalty, but not Leclerc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just seemed to me like Mercedes have been sand bagging until this race.. Or Ferrari have seriously had to tone down there cheating
Could it possibly be that they have been running the engine conservitivly for most of the latter half of the season to ensure they last to the end of the season? Last race, nothing to lose, full beans and a complete walk over of a race?

Soldato
At the start of the year I thought this would be his last, but now I think different. Kids aside I think he has a last gasp point to prove, especially after all the negative press. Going out now would be a definite low, so I think he'll stay for one more season then announce retirement, and then Dani Ric will get the seat in 2021 :)

Yeah, I think he'll stick it out another year until the end of his contract. Then I think Vettel will go at the big 2021 rule changes. Not only is he getting on in age and has kids to think about, but his stubbornness and intransigence won't allow him to see that he's a big part of the problem when it comes to the poor performance of the team, despite a potentially championship winning car.

Of course, it may not be up to Vettel if Ferrari decide to get rid of him sooner.

Soldato
Its some circus though isnt it, the size of it is incredable. Yet it never actualy yeilds fantastic racing BTCC is much better as a racing spectical.

It does amaze me the following it gets and has, the money spent. Lewis + Verstapen must pay their wages with merch sales.

Looking at Yianimize insta yesterday the afterpartys and all that too

Soldato
Yeah, I think he'll stick it out another year until the end of his contract. Then I think Vettel will go at the big 2021 rule changes. Not only is he getting on in age and has kids to think about, but his stubbornness and intransigence won't allow him to see that he's a big part of the problem when it comes to the poor performance of the team, despite a potentially championship winning car.

Of course, it may not be up to Vettel if Ferrari decide to get rid of him sooner.
Completely agree.
There's no doubt about it Vettel is a bit of a tit, and I used to really dislike him. But now I've actually grown just a little fond of him, I think perhaps because of all the entertainment he's provided this year, the crashes, spats, teddy throwing and jostling, it's been fun hasn't it? And I for one will miss it when he's gone, just like I miss the Hamilton/Rosberg rivalry.

Associate
Crap race. Missing DRS made it a little more interesting, and I noticed that it stopped the top 6 cars all getting straight back to the front after pit stops and allowed the mid-field to be closer together.

I think DRS has done more harm than good to the action. All it does is help the faster cars out. I'd rather watch them have to plan a move and fight for position than just breeze past on a straight. There's been a couple of races this year where a Mclaren have been well up in the points with no chance to defend their position from the catching Ferraris.

Man of Honour
The worst harm of DRS is that's it's stopped them from taking the action needed to actually solve the problem. At least in 2021 there's a real solution coming. Let's hope it works.

Agreed. Why bother risking an overtake through a corner when you have a free push to pass. Fingers crossed it gets dropped.

Soldato
I voted it a 10 because I was there; West Grandstand looking down the main straight into the left, right onto the second long straight, and also a very clear view of penultimate corner into the final corner/pit entry. Also had a huge screen ahead of us in order to keep up with the race :)

Yeah, it was a relatively boring race, but it was more interesting that my only other race (Spa 2018) and a great experience :D

Back
Top Bottom