Help me settle an ongoing work based network speed dispute!

Associate
It can be hell working with families.

Would the place collapse if you left?

That shouldn't factor into the OPs life and work choices. It's a business, it's not really investing in one of its employees so should that OP stay "out of loyalty" ? If they wasn't related they'd be on the phone to an agent last week I reckon.

Associate
Probably terrible advice I know, I had surgery planned that the hospital said would take around six months recovery time, my employer was aware of it and were very understanding, but there were others described by myself and others as "the untouchables", I'm sure every business has them, so in the week before surgery I made a point of telling them how bad there decisions were, etc. Then six months down the line walked in, explained that my absence wasn't fair on the company and resigned with immediate effect after I'd explained my time off wasn't fair on the company. I had a look round and the department had fallen apart, something I found quite funny.

It's a difficult one in your situation with family loyalty, but consider resigning and just before you leave tell those that argue what you exactly what you think. It would be interesting if they have to recruit someone new (and probably more costly) that has the same ideas as yo. This office manager sounds like a right ****!

Caporegime
I’m planning on it.. it’s becoming clear that there is no future plans for me there and I’m only employed as I’m a relative.

Thing is.. I’m not employed in an office based role. I’m the technical guy who receives the technical queries.. but if I had to list the amount of stuff I’m expected to achieve I’d be here sometime.

As a little example.. I’m expected to read all of the inboxes plus sent messages from our email accounts every evening to keep up to speed with what everyone is doing. I have to formulate specific risk assessments and method states for all engineers for who I organise a project. I also need to read all other outgoing risk assessments and method statements to ensure I know what everyone is doing.

I have a planner in my office where I list the ongoing projects and upcoming projects to allow for easy planning of engineers, I will the create said risk assessments and method statements and forward these to the customers for HSE acceptance. However.. I am not informed of any other projects in the pipeline which may clash and therefore I have to delay or cancel the projects I have organised to make way for the projects I was unaware of.

It’s just frustrating as hell, it’s a well paid job but I’ve been there so long (11 years) that my qualifications are now null and void.

Last month I won an international award for a diploma paper I passed earlier this year.. it was voted by a committee of 54 people to be the best paper of the year. There were papers from the USA, UK, Europe and Middle East submitted.

I collected said award in person, it is now displayed in the main office and I was told this week it was the companies investment in me that made the award possible not my actual effort.

Tell your dad to retire. You become ceo.

Run the place how you like. Give your dad a weekly payment to tide him over.

Or get another job.

Caporegime
Some pages might keep sessions open but they should time out, and sessions shouldn't be an issue as long as the router isn't a total piece of rubbish. Even then they can adjust the TCP keepalives to teardown any sessions and free up resources, this is something had with an older linux based router that was session limited rather than being smart enough to throttle based on CPU usage.

You can do netstat -a to show open connections and netstat -b to show which programs are generating the sessions.

Some people can't be bothered to find and fix any issues so just blame your usage based on no evidence.

Soldato
Get something like Netflow analyser or something similar? It will show you what devices is using x amount of bandwidth/traffic on the network. Then you can start off by saying prove it? Then if they can't just say well i can and show them the stats.

Caporegime
Considering you can get 100MB Synchronous for around £220pm with no upfront fees (depending on construction charges) I'd say it's absolutely an investment that you should make.

Back
Top Bottom