LG 34GK950F vs Alienware AW3420DW

Associate
I've just started looking into building a rig and stumbled across the Alienware as I was searching, then this forum (so joined) ... It does look pretty damn decent and some good reviews.

I do like LG Panels but for circa ~£850, the Alienware looks the business indeed!

£850 for the AW20? Can't find it, :(

Associate
B
Nice!

Mine still just says confirmed. Did you get an email or did you login to check? Like Ibsaid no big rush for mine as my old laptop won't run it. But I would still like to open it.

Both, got an email and when I logged in the status was shipped with a UPS Tracking Number.

Associate
It's arrived, and it's beautiful. No dead pixels thankfully. The only thing i'm a bit annoyed about is that i'm sure I ordered the black one! Played some COD MW on it and it looks stunning.

Man of Honour
OP
It's arrived, and it's beautiful. No dead pixels thankfully. The only thing i'm a bit annoyed about is that i'm sure I ordered the black one! Played some COD MW on it and it looks stunning.
I thought they only did one model? Grey or black surround with a white back. Wasnt aware there are two models?

Associate
I thought they only did one model? Grey or black surround with a white back. Wasnt aware there are two models?

Yes, I think I have misunderstood. Here is what it shows in my basket - Dell Alienware 34 Monitor - AW3420DW- 86.5cm(34") Black

But on the order, the black is missing :)

Man of Honour
OP
Yes, I think I have misunderstood. Here is what it shows in my basket - Dell Alienware 34 Monitor - AW3420DW- 86.5cm(34") Black

But on the order, the black is missing :)
Just checked mine says the same on the order and I definitely expect a white back.

Associate
Mine has arrived. Goodbye 42" 1080p sony bravia TV, hello ultrawide high refresh rate!

Edit: wow.. just wow. I feel like i've seen colours for the first time. What a stunning monitor. High refresh rate is noticeable, but not the game changer I thought it'd be, at least with desktop browsing. So far it's like "oh neat". But the colours and the sharpness of this monitor, wow i'm actually blown away. No dead pixels etc. I did an IPS glow test, I have very minimal amounts apparently in the bottom corners of the screen. I actually couldn't see anything until I turned the lights off, closed the door and the blinds. And I don't sit in a dark room normally, so it's literally not noticeable for me anyway. The ONLY thing I wish was different about this monitor is the vertical height. The 34" curved width is ok, but I do miss the verticality coming from my 42" TV screen.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Yes that does concern me slightly coming from a 30" 16:10 2560x1600.

A quick question. I see it has an audio line out and headphone out (no speakers though). I also can't see any audio line in. So where does it get the audio from? Is it via the HDMI cable or does it have an internal USB sound card?

Last edited:
Associate
Can i ask what colour settings people are using?

Thanks.

I have just used the presets. For Windows i'm using the standard profile and FPS for gaming :)

Would be good if you could use the Alienware Command Centre to change preset rather than the back joystick and buttons.

Associate
Mine now shipped and due Thurs :)

Great news!!! I'm looking forward to confirmation of whether this does support the AMD Freesync like the Dell Salesman has led me to believe. If it does not which I expect from everything I have now read I think I will contact them and see what they say.

Associate
Mine has arrived. Goodbye 42" 1080p sony bravia TV, hello ultrawide high refresh rate!

Edit: wow.. just wow. I feel like i've seen colours for the first time. What a stunning monitor. High refresh rate is noticeable, but not the game changer I thought it'd be, at least with desktop browsing. So far it's like "oh neat". But the colours and the sharpness of this monitor, wow i'm actually blown away. No dead pixels etc. I did an IPS glow test, I have very minimal amounts apparently in the bottom corners of the screen. I actually couldn't see anything until I turned the lights off, closed the door and the blinds. And I don't sit in a dark room normally, so it's literally not noticeable for me anyway. The ONLY thing I wish was different about this monitor is the vertical height. The 34" curved width is ok, but I do miss the verticality coming from my 42" TV screen.

What GPU you using Minato?

Man of Honour
OP
Mine has arrived too now. I spent a lot of the day building my new PC, installing windows and other things. Finally about an hour ago I just unboxed and setup the AW3420DW. I'll be honest that I am not quite as blown away as other have been. I do think it's a fantastic monitor. But coming from a Dell 3007 with 30" 2560x1600 it feels like looking at a letterbox. I am also very aware of the curve. It's also a testament to how good the Dell 3007 still is, and certainly was when I bought it. It was a real top end monitor in its day. So the concerns I have are more related to moving from a 2560x1600 16:10 to a 3440x1440 than the Alienware monitor itself.

However... it is a fantastic monitor and I am absolutely sure in a few days I will stop noticing the curve. Also, although I do miss the 16:10 aspect ratio many things were still displayed in 16:9 on my old screen with black bars top and bottom. So it was a false sense of size. I also haven't played any games on it yet. I'm fully expect that I will be singing its praises in a few days time. It's just the move from 16:10 to 21:9 which is giving me pause for thought.

The 'white' of the back and stand are also light grey rather than the striking white from the photos. No complaints there and it's just an observation.

I haven't had a chance to try freesync yet. I don't actually know how to try it and I am still downloading games. But I'll try as soon as I work out what to do.

EDIT: Radeon Settings says that Freesync is on. I don't know if that means it's working or whether that's just the default setting for all monitors.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom