Build check: potential 3900X rig to replace 3770K

Associate
Hi all,

I would be grateful if anyone could offer advice/suggestions about my potential choices below. Any comments/alternative choices would be most welcome. I would like to do a little more research before I pull the trigger on this. I will only transfer my cooler and 256GB SSD (as a second drive) from my current rig.

Thank you.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,877.59 (includes shipping: £14.70)​

Soldato
Hi

Alternative spec.

The RX 5700 XT is a lot cheaper for very similar performance.

Not sure how set you are on the case ? The CoolerMaster case should have better airflow as it has the larger cutouts on the front panel. If you have an air cooler then you have space for a couple of fans in the roof.

Cheaper X570 board with a solid VRM. If you are set on the Phanteks case and also want an Asus board then the X570-F Strix is £50 cheaper if you don't need wifi.

The Patriot Ram is £30 odd cheaper.

WD Black NVMe 1TB is a solid SSD for £24 extra over the 970 EVO. There are a few cheaper options as well from the likes of Gigabyte, Team Group and Corsair.

You will be more than fine with 650W. The Seasonic Prime Ultra is priced very well at the minute.

Total: £1,514.14 (includes shipping: £13.20)

Associate
OP
Alternative spec.

The RX 5700 XT is a lot cheaper for very similar performance.

Not sure how set you are on the case ? The CoolerMaster case should have better airflow as it has the larger cutouts on the front panel. If you have an air cooler then you have space for a couple of fans in the roof.

Cheaper X570 board with a solid VRM. If you are set on the Phanteks case and also want an Asus board then the X570-F Strix is £50 cheaper if you don't need wifi.

The Patriot Ram is £30 odd cheaper.

WD Black NVMe 1TB is a solid SSD for £24 extra over the 970 EVO. There are a few cheaper options as well from the likes of Gigabyte, Team Group and Corsair.

You will be more than fine with 650W. The Seasonic Prime Ultra is priced very well at the minute.

Thank you for the reply! These are great alternative suggestions. I'll look into the RX 5700 XT. It looks like it's just lacking the ray tracing at the moment. I'd happily consider a Gigabyte mobo. I only selected Asus because it's what I used on my last build and has been working flawlessly since 2012.

The PSU that you recommend also looks great, interesting that it's silent. I was keen to go with Seasonic as I understand that my current PSU is manufactured by them and it's been brilliant.

Soldato
Thank you for the reply! These are great alternative suggestions. I'll look into the RX 5700 XT. It looks like it's just lacking the ray tracing at the moment. I'd happily consider a Gigabyte mobo. I only selected Asus because it's what I used on my last build and has been working flawlessly since 2012.

The PSU that you recommend also looks great, interesting that it's silent. I was keen to go with Seasonic as I understand that my current PSU is manufactured by them and it's been brilliant.

Yeah no Ray Tracing on the AMD cards. If that is a feature you want then you could take the 5700XT out of my spec and replace it with a 2080 Super and still be around the £1800 mark.

i.e The Gigabyte Gaming OC. Out of stock, but says ETA 6th Dec (Tomorrow).

Total: £689.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)​

The Seasonic Prime Snow Silent is a cracking psu for the price. Has an even longer 12 year warranty as well, as well as being more efficient.

Associate
OP
Also don't forget the AMD promotion as you can claim 2 free games with the 3900X and also 1 with an AMD gpu if you decide on the 5700XT as well as xbox game pass for pc.

https://www.amd.com/en/gaming/raise-the-game

Oh and 4 year warranty on the Gigabyte 2080 Super as well when you register it online :) (Also applies to the 2070 Super in your initial spec).

Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom