10 + years of Administration want a change - IT?

Soldato
Yes I've certainly seen and worked with some inept useless managers who haven't got a clue. Love the ones who try and tell you how to do your job.

I have a cousin who used to work as an admin for a local council and was on the way to management, the guy above him retired and someone else moved in. My cousin was constantly knocked back, heavy workloads were moved to him out of the blue, very unrealistic things were expected of him. He suddenly found that he went from enjoying his work to hating it, a complete 180. It was entirely down to the new guy in charge, he didn't like that Bob (lets call him that) had shown initiative, he didn't like the idea that Bob might rise above him one day. This was basically confirmed, my cousin overheard him giving these reasons, and while anecdotal on my behalf in this thread I have no reason to doubt him. He moved into a different sector and has since done extremely well for himself, he's living in the north of England (so low living costs) on an 80K a year wage. Wouldn't happen in almost any other industry, there's generally too much accountability for things going wrong.

A move can do you a world of good.

Associate
OP
I have a cousin who used to work as an admin for a local council and was on the way to management, the guy above him retired and someone else moved in. My cousin was constantly knocked back, heavy workloads were moved to him out of the blue, very unrealistic things were expected of him. He suddenly found that he went from enjoying his work to hating it, a complete 180. It was entirely down to the new guy in charge, he didn't like that Bob (lets call him that) had shown initiative, he didn't like the idea that Bob might rise above him one day. This was basically confirmed, my cousin overheard him giving these reasons, and while anecdotal on my behalf in this thread I have no reason to doubt him. He moved into a different sector and has since done extremely well for himself, he's living in the north of England (so low living costs) on an 80K a year wage. Wouldn't happen in almost any other industry, there's generally too much accountability for things going wrong.

A move can do you a world of good.

Certainly ringing a lot of bells for me. The more you do the more they put on you. Constantly getting new tasks but not having anything taken off you etc.

Soldato
Certainly ringing a lot of bells for me. The more you do the more they put on you. Constantly getting new tasks but not having anything taken off you etc.

Yup.

Thankless tasks with zero reward no matter how hard you work or how well you do.

Time to move on bud, you're better than that.

Soldato
The best bit is when you do something and someone else i.e. manager takes credit for it. :mad:

Happens a lot!

Do you think it might be possible that you've conflated your unhappiness with your job role with your unhappiness with where you're working?

I know you more or less admitted this earlier, but I feel it's important for you to really think about and conclude should it be true. It's a lot less effort and pain than totally changing job/career type overnight, which might put you back where you are now if you don't enjoy it in the end.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hello,

Well I'm 35 years old having worked 10 plus years in a local government administration role I'm getting very bored with the same things day in and day out. Really fancy a change would love to move into IT but no idea where to start any advice? Currently on £21k a year paying rent etc so worried about a drop in wage at the moment.

Government administration is a bit vague and IT is quite a broad area - have you developed some IT related skills in your several years of work experience so far?

What are you like academically? I mean administration could mean anything from absolute nut low dogsbody type job through to having some decent levels of responsibility for stuff?

So I mean do you manage projects? Could you look at transitioning to IT project management? Or are you doing some very basic role and might be looking at say getting into some low level IT Helpdesk type role (that could be soul destroying at 35 tbh..).

Do you have OK A-Levels? Do you have a degree? You could look at a degree apprenticeship where you combine work and study with a sponsoring employer. If you already have a degree then you might look at some relevant MSc course perhaps or some distance learning course - perhaps just a grad certificate/diploma etc..

Associate
OP
Government administration is a bit vague and IT is quite a broad area - have you developed some IT related skills in your several years of work experience so far?

What are you like academically? I mean administration could mean anything from absolute nut low dogsbody type job through to having some decent levels of responsibility for stuff?

So I mean do you manage projects? Could you look at transitioning to IT project management? Or are you doing some very basic role and might be looking at say getting into some low level IT Helpdesk type role (that could be soul destroying at 35 tbh..).

Do you have OK A-Levels? Do you have a degree? You could look at a degree apprenticeship where you combine work and study with a sponsoring employer. If you already have a degree then you might look at some relevant MSc course perhaps or some distance learning course - perhaps just a grad certificate/diploma etc..

No degree or A Levels only ok'ish GCSE's if I am honest.

absolute nut low dogsbody type job - I Wish :D

Caporegime
So what are you actually looking for?

A jump from low end admin role to low end IT role?

Have you thought about rectifying the education situation - like perhaps looking at an OU degree or access course etc..?

The lack of A-levels doesn't have to hold you back in that respect and it might well be better to put some effort in there in the short term to improve your long term prospects if/when going for a career change.

Associate
OP
So what are you actually looking for?

A jump from low end admin role to low end IT role?

Have you thought about rectifying the education situation - like perhaps looking at an OU degree or access course etc..?

The lack of A-levels doesn't have to hold you back in that respect and it might well be better to put some effort in there in the short term to improve your long term prospects if/when going for a career change.

Yes pretty much to start with. Although its not really a low end admin job I'm doing but get where your coming from. :)

I'd like to retrain in something computer related basically.

rectifying the education -This is something I would consider.

Caporegime
Take a look at degree apprenticeships - perhaps contact the admissions people and ask about alternatives entry routes, like if you went for some sort of evening school/access course as an A-level alternative. Like they're generally more vocational IT degree courses so not too demanding academically at a glance at least.

I just think some entry level - do vendor certificates - become call centre/printer monkey route as some general "IT" types would go down would be rather depressing at 35.

On the other hand getting something more akin to grad training combined with studying for a degree at the same time could be much more interesting for you... but is something you might need to look into and be prepared to perhaps study for a year or so part time to get to the point where you can apply for something like that.

for example:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/apprenticeships/degree-apprenticeships

Digital and technology solutions - Aston University, University of Exeter, University of Greenwich, Manchester Metropolitan University, The Open University, Queen Mary University of London, Sheffield Hallam University, UWE and Winchester University.

your username says "west mids" and Aston Uni offers them...

AFAIK you don't pay tuition and they start you off on about what you're earning right now rising to 30k by the time you finish the degree. Would be a no brainer compared to where you are now if the pay is stagnant, only question is the entry requirements and how you can rectify that (access course, OU etc..) and how you can sell your current work experience. But I think it would be well worth exploring getting paid 20k rising to 30k to gain 4 years work experience and a degree rather than paying for some IT certificate and starting some help desk job.

Associate
OP
Take a look at degree apprenticeships - perhaps contact the admissions people and ask about alternatives entry routes, like if you went for some sort of evening school/access course as an A-level alternative. Like they're generally more vocational IT degree courses so not too demanding academically at a glance at least.

I just think some entry level - do vendor certificates - become call centre/printer monkey route as some general "IT" types would go down would be rather depressing at 35.

On the other hand getting something more akin to grad training combined with studying for a degree at the same time could be much more interesting for you... but is something you might need to look into and be prepared to perhaps study for a year or so part time to get to the point where you can apply for something like that.

for example:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/apprenticeships/degree-apprenticeships

AFAIK you don't pay tuition and they start you off on about what you're earning right now rising to 30k by the time you finish the degree. Would be a no brainer compared to where you are now if the pay is stagnant, only question is the entry requirements and how you can rectify that (access course, OU etc..) and how you can sell your current work experience. But I think it would be well worth exploring getting paid 20k rising to 30k to gain 4 years work experience and a degree rather than paying for some IT certificate and starting some help desk job.

Cheers mate will take a look. :D

Associate
Do you really want to have to take your exams etc every few years for the next 30 years? If you don't you'll likely lose your job. Unless you get into management, that's what you're going to have to do and it gets harder and harder as you grow older. Find something else that involves computers, but isn't computers.

Not strictly true, I've not done a single exam since my Windows Server 2000 MCP back in 2000. This got me a foot in the door doing desktop/server support. I've since progressed to a senior IT architect at a global bank, before that I worked at LogicaCMG (now CGI) in their Space & Defence division and done 10 years at Accenture.

I don't have a degree either. If you want to get in to IT, give it a go, what have you got to lose?

Associate
OP
Not strictly true, I've not done a single exam since my Windows Server 2000 MCP back in 2000. This got me a foot in the door doing desktop/server support. I've since progressed to a senior IT architect at a global bank, before that I worked at LogicaCMG (now CGI) in their Space & Defence division and done 10 years at Accenture.

I don't have a degree either. If you want to get in to IT, give it a go, what have you got to lose?

Nothing really current job isn't going anywhere fast. Really want a change going to have a look on job market see if theres anything suitable and look at courses I think.

Thanks for your message. :D

Soldato
Playing devils advocate and speaking from a personal perspective, I can safely say that after doing it for a living for a couple of decades, it drains your enthusiasm for it as a hobby.
The majority of my friends and peers also working in the profession feel much the same.

IT support, specifically, is a thankless task. If it goes wrong, it is your fault. If it doesn't go wrong, why do we even pay you?
The more creative roles are generally more satisfying careers as customers/employers tend to relate more to creating/building front end work than back end stuff.
However I'm sure any seasoned dev will regale you with tales of unrealistic expectations. What do you mean you can't write a new facebook in two weeks?

Not wanting to put you off, but as with most things the grass isn't always as green as it might appear - and if you are going to turn something you enjoy doing into your work, you want to be certain you will still enjoy it when you do it for a living.

Can confirm - 20 years of IT has completely killed any passion I had for computers outside of work. Pays very well though :)

Associate
There will be times where you're 100% certain you can fix a problem but will be unable to do so due to whatever regulations you're under.

I find this to be incredibly difficult, others seem to be so comfy with leaving someone high & dry when they need assistance just because "computer says no" - and yes I know they're right and I'm daft, but there's something inside me lol, an urge to help, I need to help that person, ugh.

I came back to IT after passing what is popularly considered 'gettin on a bit' and loving it more than ever, I feel like those extra years of life experience really pay off nicely when it comes to keeping a cool head :)

I say go for it :) whats the worst that can happen? you'll fail spectacularly and lose everything, filled with shame & regret you'll become a bitter shadow of your former self consumed by what could have been, what should have been. Nah, don't think so, its not some crappy movie its your life ;)

( heavily edited cos after a few months I'm like who the f wrote this, lol, think I was in an 'odd' mood, should have had a cranberry juice )

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm going to be blunt. Don't do it. I'm guessing from your job history that you haven't moved to management. So you're not management potential. Do you really want to have to take your exams etc every few years for the next 30 years? If you don't you'll likely lose your job. Unless you get into management, that's what you're going to have to do and it gets harder and harder as you grow older. Find something else that involves computers, but isn't computers.

Way to give the guy motivation.

? He's not management material because he's not in a management role already? That doesn't mean anything. So what. Some people don't want management roles anyway. Being successful in your career does not necessarily mean becoming management. That should not be seen as the end goal, especially in IT. Some prefer to stay technical. Many contractors stay in the same line of specific expertise for life and still make a better living compared to senior managers.

I'm not sure what you mean about exams either. Any job requiring constant renewal of exams "or you'll lose your job" is not one I've ever come across nor would take. The reality these days in most IT jobs is in fact that there is typically a distinct lack of training budget. It's rare you find people complaining of too much training! A lot has moved to online learning now. Certificates/exams mean less. I started out in IT with ok school qualifications, but no degree, and no formal computing course or training. Degree is often listed on ads but just apply anyway. Totally pointless thing that has been around for decades. "Degree required". BS.

To OP, if you are motivated to get into IT go for it. You will hear of a lot of people saying it's mundane and not to do it. I suspect you would get the same in a lot of jobs you asked other people about since it's a natural reaction to not really speak highly of your enjoyment in the field of work that you've been doing for a long time. Most people wouldn't really work if they could get away with not working. It's a natural thing to pick out negatives with your work I mean.
You could start off in a service desk/support role. That's often the gateway to IT careers, but as you say you may take a pay cut. Otherwise as suggested, try to pick a particular area you are interested in and study.

Soldato
Way to give the guy motivation.

? He's not management material because he's not in a management role already? That doesn't mean anything. So what. Some people don't want management roles anyway. Being successful in your career does not necessarily mean becoming management. That should not be seen as the end goal, especially in IT. Some prefer to stay technical. Many contractors stay in the same line of specific expertise for life and still make a better living compared to senior managers.

I'm not sure what you mean about exams either. Any job requiring constant renewal of exams "or you'll lose your job" is not one I've ever come across nor would take. The reality these days in most IT jobs is in fact that there is typically a distinct lack of training budget. It's rare you find people complaining of too much training! A lot has moved to online learning now. Certificates/exams mean less. I started out in IT with ok school qualifications, but no degree, and no formal computing course or training. Degree is often listed on ads but just apply anyway. Totally pointless thing that has been around for decades. "Degree required". BS.

To OP, if you are motivated to get into IT go for it. You will hear of a lot of people saying it's mundane and not to do it. I suspect you would get the same in a lot of jobs you asked other people about since it's a natural reaction to not really speak highly of your enjoyment in the field of work that you've been doing for a long time. Most people wouldn't really work if they could get away with not working. It's a natural thing to pick out negatives with your work I mean.
You could start off in a service desk/support role. That's often the gateway to IT careers, but as you say you may take a pay cut. Otherwise as suggested, try to pick a particular area you are interested in and study.

That seems to be a thing in the US, thankfully not anywhere else.

Caporegime
Certificates/exams mean less. I started out in IT with ok school qualifications, but no degree, and no formal computing course or training. Degree is often listed on ads but just apply anyway. Totally pointless thing that has been around for decades. "Degree required". BS.

Depends on the job tbh... in some cases it’s just a crude filter and they’d look at an experienced candidate regardless. In other cases it might harm your chances of an interview and/or you’d have to know your stuff regardless. For example technically google doesn’t require a degree, but most of their software engineers will have one, the few that don’t would have still had to answer all the algorithms and data structures type questions in the interview which means they’d still have had to put in some self study reading some of the same books or watching similar lectures etc...

It’s much better to have one than to not and it can open many more doors for you.

Soldato
Hello,

Well I'm 35 years old having worked 10 plus years in a local government administration role I'm getting very bored with the same things day in and day out. Really fancy a change would love to move into IT but no idea where to start any advice? Currently on £21k a year paying rent etc so worried about a drop in wage at the moment.

What processes and areas of public sector? Those would be useful to software companies selling into goverment. So don’t undersell yourself.

Careful that a lot of software is outsourced to India and other locations. In terms of skill sets - don’t replicate those available in low cost locations. It may be better doing a maths/statistics degree part time - that opens up data science, computational analytics for banks, energy companies etc but also opens up to quantum computing.

Back
Top Bottom