Possible Poll - What percentage of annual income was your car worth at time of purchase?

Associate
15%
used, paid outright
With insurance and first service (new suspension, new tyres) that went up to 20%.

Last edited:
Soldato
75% on my latest purchase, 44% on the previous. It is scary when you look at it objectively, but cars and driving are basically the thing I earn money for so you gotta spend it!

Soldato
Was 75% till a pay-rise, then only 66% :p

Low-interest HP agreement made it quite affordable (even got a cheque for over-payment last week). I am now on Shanks' pony..

Associate
Bought current car in May, 52% of annual salary, bought outright using savings and receive car allowance which in theory pays me back in 4 years.

Soldato
Lots of single figures here. Clearly we have some very well off people. Are we talking deposits paid upfront or list prices?

OP mentions that they're buying a new car but presumably at least some of the responses are used cars.

If used cars count then mine were also single figure % for both the cars I've bought. One was an 8 year old MK2 Focus and the other was an 8 year old Fiesta a couple of years after that. You don't need to be particularly well off to manage single figures on either of those!

Soldato
Lots of single figures here. Clearly we have some very well off people. Are we talking deposits paid upfront or list prices?
There are various ways to interpret it. Worth at time of purchase could mean that £500 Škoda you bought second hand... or it could mean that £45,000 Beemer you picked up to celebrate a pay rise.
But yes, various threads show we have some people here on £50kpa and some well over that...

Back
Top Bottom