Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
I used the walthrough on HomeServerShow for my N40L (i believe it's the same across N36/N40/N54L) - https://homeservershow.com/blog/byo...server-build-and-bios-modification-revisited/
However, a quick Google brings up a number of other sites outlining it for N54L, eg - http://blog.chrispomfret.com/2013/0...-guide-allow-hot-plug-sata-and-5th-sata-port/

Biggest issue i had was getting the latest official Bios as HPE requires active support; although a bit of Googling got me a working link.

Thanks mate, I'll see what I can find :)

I got 6 drives running on my 54 :) One from the optical sata and one from the esata at the back both inside the 5.25 bay. You guys need to update the tweaked bios first if you can still find it floating on the net.

photo upload site

Nice, that's where I want to be! Do you get full speed from the extra 2 ports?

GDL

GDL

Associate
Last edited:
Associate
I've added BIOS mod files to the link above bud. (the SPP one)
Along with the ILO firmware update and the Java version needed to use the remote desktop.

Enjoy.

Long shot.
Anyone got a MSL2024 within support. New firmware released and ours has expired. :(
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/publi...out=table&f:@kmswsoftwaretypekey=[swt8000193]

Legend mate, thank you. Are they any special instructions? From the readme it appears you just have to run HPQUSB.exe then replace the ROM file? Does it need to be made a bootable USB drive?

GDL

GDL

Associate
Legend mate, thank you. Are they any special instructions? From the readme it appears you just have to run HPQUSB.exe then replace the ROM file? Does it need to be made a bootable USB drive?

That's it mate.
HPQUSB makes a bootable USB IIRC. so Run it, replace file and go.

Soldato
Recently converted my N54L, which was running Ubuntu, to XigmaNAS. It's fine, but seriously let down by out-of-date documentation. Had a few issues with setting up NFS (leading to more than a few expletives). I found Ubuntu much easier to set up in that respect, but some of that is probably due to my limited understanding of it, and failure to amend autofs correctly for slightly different paths.

Soldato
Time for a Christmas holiday project!

So I sold my HP Media Server EX490 as WHS was starting to fall out with W10 clients more and more and decided to join the Microserver world.

Gen 8 will be used as a CCTV box (9 streams)
Xeon 1240 V2
16GB
120GB SSD - Windows 10 Pro
4 x 3TB WD Purple

Gen 10 will be used to backup 4 x W10 pro clients and host network shares
AMD X3216
16GB
240GB SSD - Windows Server Essentials 2016
4 x 2TB WD Red

Soldato
To be honest I'm already starting to wonder if the Gen10 is up to the job.

Very few reasons exist to buy a G10, if you’d posted asking for advice, you would have got a number of different recommendations, it’s unlikely a G10 would have figured in any of them.

Soldato
Oh well, I'll see how it goes. Gen8 seems like a good package overall.

Gen10 seems like an attempt to push people towards their racks and towers.

Back
Top Bottom