• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Sandy, Ivy and Haswell (Hazzy?) Upgrade Thread

Associate
I thought about Samsung NVMe but after reading great things about ADATA and being much cheaper went with them, its fine, it just works with no issues. My previous 2 SSDs were Samsung as I liked using their clone software so I didn't have to reinstall everything, but doing a fresh install was painless really, I've got a list of software I have installed, just work my way through it, back up in a day.

TrM

TrM

Associate
I thought about Samsung NVMe but after reading great things about ADATA and being much cheaper went with them, its fine, it just works with no issues. My previous 2 SSDs were Samsung as I liked using their clone software so I didn't have to reinstall everything, but doing a fresh install was painless really, I've got a list of software I have installed, just work my way through it, back up in a day.

you could have used the samsung software or the adata acronis true image software there website. The samung only need a samung ssd to be in the system to work and that acronis is also really good clone software also:) But after a major upgrade i allways do a fresh install when i change major parts though I allways find i get less isues going forward

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
i guessed that from sticking to a samsung evo 860:) I was looking for a samsung 970 evo plus to go on black friday sale but on other sites and overclockers they only went down do 160ish for 1tb thats then i went for the adata one at less the 100 pounds. that 970 evo plus really didn't get much of a sale vs the others:(
A lot of sales have been very disappointing as usual. Only thing I picked up was an LG B9. Wanted a PS4 Pro also, but hardly any deals. Then you have Gibbo with his “deals” (to be fair he did do a good job with the 5700’s). Overall, my wallet thanks them all for their weak deals :p

Last edited:

TrM

TrM

Associate
A lot of sales have been very disappointing as usual. Only thing I picked up was an LG B9. Wanted a PS4 Pro also, but hardly any deals. Then you have Gibbo with his “deals” (to be fair he did do a good job with the 5700’s). Overall, my wallet thanks them all for they weak deals :p

i was saving my money to buy a oled tv But 2 weeks before blackfriday sales i come across a pansoinic factory recondition oled tv direct from panasonic (i hope that isn't agaist the forum rules) priced at £799.99 for 55 inch 2018 model which i thought was to go to miss out on and brought that so i was also thankful for sales being less then steller this year hehe:)

Last edited:
Associate
you could have used the samsung software or the adata acronis true image software there website. The samung only need a samung ssd to be in the system to work and that acronis is also really good clone software also:) But after a major upgrade i allways do a fresh install when i change major parts though I allways find i get less isues going forward

Ahh great, maybe an option in the future if I get a USB m.2 thingy, clone NVMe 1TB to 2TB. Yeah I don't mind a fresh install once in a while too and as you say sometimes it's pretty much required.

I feel like the 3600 is where its at right now. Moving from Ivy i5 to 6 core + HT gives me a lot more power. And there may be the option for Ryzen 4000. Intel 10nm would have to be something amazing at 1440p for me to switch back (unlikely).

Man of Honour
I still haven't upgraded mine. My 3930k died a few months ago and the plan was to look for an upgrade in black friday. But I haven't pulled the trigger yet as I simpky can't decide between a B450 with a 3700x or spend more and go for an X570 with a 3900x for longevity.

I don't need the 3900x right now but the lesson I learned from the 3930k was that a good system can last a very long time. It might end up being cheaper over the long term by not having to upgrade for a looooooong time. I didn't need the six cores of the 3930k when I bought it but by the end if its life it paid off to have them.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
i was saving my money to buy a oled tv But 2 weeks before blackfriday sales i come across a pansoinic factory recondition oled tv direct from panasonic (i hope that isn't agaist the forum rules) priced at £799.99 for 55 inch 2018 model which i thought was to go to miss out on and brought that so i was also thankful for sales being less then steller this year hehe:)
Nice, is that Panasonic OLED that gets very good reviews? I got mine for £98 more than that. Well £93 as I will be getting £5 back from my card as cash back. For me HDMI 2.1 was a must as it has VRR which as I understand PS5 will make use of. Also if I ever do fancy hooking my PC up to it I can do 120Hz on 4K :)

As long as it does not get burn in I can see the tv lasting me a very long time. My LG Plasma did not get burn-in which I have had for many years and OLED is meant to be a lot more resistant so I am not worried :D

I still haven't upgraded mine. My 3930k died a few months ago and the plan was to look for an upgrade in black friday. But I haven't pulled the trigger yet as I simpky can't decide between a B450 with a 3700x or spend more and go for an X570 with a 3900x for longevity.

I don't need the 3900x right now but the lesson I learned from the 3930k was that a good system can last a very long time. It might end up being cheaper over the long term by not having to upgrade for a looooooong time. I didn't need the six cores of the 3930k when I bought it but by the end if its life it paid off to have them.
Can do what I did, get a cheap X570 with a 3600 with the option of plonking in a 4900X or 4950X later on once they go dirt cheap in 2-3 years time :)

It will scratch that itch now. Or if you can just wait for AM5 in 18-24 months time and go for a brand platform.

Soldato

6c/12t CPU now is <£180, 12c/24t CPU is 2.8x the cost.

Buy a good B450 motherboard like the Tomahawk Max, with a 3600 or X. You then have an upgrade path, in 12-24 months I 100% guarantee you'll get a 12c/24t CPU that will drop in that board that will be cheap and faster than the one you can get now, and you'll have spent the same or less overall.

Soldato
4790k here, upgrading next year to Zen 4 and X570, I might even go for the 12-core. 4790k still going strong so a have time to switch to something really worthwhile.

TrM

TrM

Associate
Nice, is that Panasonic OLED that gets very good reviews? I got mine for £98 more than that. Well £93 as I will be getting £5 back from my card as cash back. For me HDMI 2.1 was a must as it has VRR which as I understand PS5 will make use of. Also if I ever do fancy hooking my PC up to it I can do 120Hz on 4K :)

As long as it does not get burn in I can see the tv lasting me a very long time. My LG Plasma did not get burn-in which I have had for many years and OLED is meant to be a lot more resistant so I am not.

Yea it is the one with all the awards and the picture quality is simply amazing. So glad I went for it though and i can’t rember the last time watching a dark movie and see such contrast from dark and light.

Vrr is something I thought about but since I brought it for the living room and my 3 children love there Xbox and PS4 it’s better it doesn’t have it so they don’t keep taking over it with games :) the smart system is bad on it though :( but really good buy and games like red dead 2 from my pc look amazing also even if it’s just 4k 60hz

Man of Honour
6c/12t CPU now is <£180, 12c/24t CPU is 2.8x the cost.

Buy a good B450 motherboard like the Tomahawk Max, with a 3600 or X. You then have an upgrade path, in 12-24 months I 100% guarantee you'll get a 12c/24t CPU that will drop in that board that will be cheap and faster than the one you can get now, and you'll have spent the same or less overall.
Will the Tomahawk run a non-overclocked 3900x?

TrM

TrM

Associate

In my opinion the 3900x isn’t that hard to run and run well I think any half decent motherboard will happily run the cpu. And most motherboards in the b450 X470 and 570 run it well. I was worried from all these horror stories and omg 12 core is gonna be a killer on vrm etc. But from my own testing on b450 boards and my X570 ace they have all handled it perfectly.

altho I do admit the whole msi bios were they have a stripped down bios interface for smaller rom chipped b450 is not ideal

Soldato

Yes, they run without issue. I've ran them on way worse boards, the VRM design is more then sufficient for the current requirements of the 3900x.

altho I do admit the whole msi bios were they have a stripped down bios interface for smaller rom chipped b450 is not ideal

It seemed to be a big deal for some folks, but I didn't really have an issues with any of the boards. The MAX versions of the boards obviously solved the problems and are now considered the best value Ryzen 3xxx motherboards available.

Man of Honour
Can do what I did, get a cheap X570 with a 3600 with the option of plonking in a 4900X or 4950X later on once they go dirt cheap in 2-3 years time :)

It will scratch that itch now. Or if you can just wait for AM5 in 18-24 months time and go for a brand platform.

This is what I finally decided to do. I went with a midrange Gigabyte X570 motherboard, 32gb RAM and a 3700x. I really wanted the 3900x but I think half the cores, and therefore the money, would have been wasted right now. But I can replace the 3700x in a couple of years with the latest gen and then hand the 3700x down to my son on his Tomahak Max. I did think about a B450 Tomahawk Max myself but thought I would get on the X570 platform for longevity and future new gen CPU's. Saving on the CPU meant I could spend a bit more on the motherboard and cooling.

I also have a new monitor arriving tomorrow so this is the first substantial upgrade I have made in a long time. I've had the monitor for 12 years and my old x79 for god knows how long. I couldn't wait for AM5 as the x79 died a few months ago.

I also have Thursday off work so will have a great day putting it all together :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
This is what I finally decided to do. I went with a midrange Gigabyte X570 motherboard, 32gb RAM and a 3700x. I really wanted the 3900x but I think half the cores, and therefore the money, would have been wasted right now. But I can replace the 3700x in a couple of years with the latest gen and then hand the 3700x down to my son on his Tomahak Max. I did think about a B450 Tomahawk Max myself but thought I would get on the X570 platform for longevity and future new gen CPU's. Saving on the CPU meant I could spend a bit more on the motherboard and cooling.

I also have a new monitor arriving tomorrow so this is the first substantial upgrade I have made in a long time. I've had the monitor for 12 years and my old x79 for god knows how long. I couldn't wait for AM5 as the x79 died a few months ago.

I also have Thursday off work so will have a great day putting it all together :)
Good choice. Your son will get a nice upgrade and you will have scratched the upgrade itch. Enjoy man :)

I am 50-50 on whether I will keep this mobo and go for a 4900X/4950X in 2-3 years time or hand it down to my partner and go AM5 when it is released. It will all depend on what performance benefits will come with the 5000 series over the 4000 and how cheap I can pick up a 4900X/4950X.

If I do decide to get a 4000 series CPU then I will get a cheap B550 board and stick this 3600 in that and give it to my partner. So win win really.

I don't see myself going back to Intel for a long time unless they come out with something that demolishes AMD CPU's. I like the idea of buying an CPU at the start of a platform and then plonking in a new one 3-4 years later and getting all the performance and IPC benefits on the cheap. It works nicely with AMD too as when their newer CPU's come out the previous gen gets very nice discounts both on the new and used market. As long as you are happy to be buy a year or so after the release of new AMD CPU's the price for performance is very good.

Now that AMD have finally catched up with Intel, being a gen behind is not even an issue and as a 4K60fps gamer I am never CPU boind anyways, so I am always happy to be a few years behind the bleeding edge for a nice discount :D

Associate
So I got the upgrade itch and currently rocking a 4790K etc etc. Been looking at the 3700X with the B450 Tomahawk MAX motherboard and 32Gb DDR4. I have got the RAM already and also a new PSU. Just wondering if it is worth going for a 3800X or is there anything from the Intel side that is worth considering.

Associate
I scratched the itch too. Upgraded the 2500k at last. Went for X570 Aorus Elite and 3700X. That then triggered an upgrade of the RX580 to a 5700xt. That triggered a monitor upgrade from my old 24" to a new 27" 1440p 144Hz. This is exactly why I held off upgradding in the first place. It always sets off an upgrade chain reaction. I'm not sure it's even finshed yet!!

Last edited:
Associate
I scratched the itch too. Upgraded the 2500k at last. Went for X570 Aorus Elite and 3700X. That then triggered an upgrade of the RX580 to a 5700xt. That triggered a monitor upgrade from my old 24" to a new 17" 1440p 144Hz. This is exactly why I held off upgradding in the first place. It always sets off an upgrade chain reaction. I'm not sure it's even finshed yet!!
Very itchy !

Ill be carrying over my Samsung NVME and 1080Ti over from my current machine. I will prolly get a new monitor after it is all done.

Associate
Just awaiting my new 3600x arriving.

Cant wait been on this 4670k since it came out, it simply cant handle recent games. Seems to have fallen off a cliff in the last year.

Great to have a really good upgrade path aswell without changing motherboard and ram now.

Back
Top Bottom