Halo MCC - Halo 4 - 17th November

Associate
There is a story mode, it is the campaign. It will list all the missions when you click on the campaign, but they should be played in order (I'm not sure if you can even play them out of order the first time)

Reach is a prequel to CE, so you can play it first.
Perfect

Associate
Finished campaign last night on co-op, had an absolute blast. Almost did a cry at the end :D

My last halo was Halo 3 so it's been great to get back into it, really missed the gameplay.

The multiplayer is as good as ever and the netcode/servers haven't skipped a beat.

Playing capped at 144fps, 1440p with freesync. Smooth as butter. Very happy with this release and can't wait to jump back in after work.

Soldato
I've never played Halo in my life, am I ok to begin with Reach, or should I start with Combat Evolved?

I'm in it for the single-player, so I'd like to work my way through the story.

Story order:

Halo Wars
Reach
Combat Evolved

Fireteam Raven (Arcade)
Halo 2
ODST
Halo 3

Spartan Assault
Halo 4
Spartan Strike
Halo 5: Guardians
Halo Infinite

Halo Wars 2

Associate
Compared this on Xbox One X to my PC (4K, 60fps cap) last night. Both playing with controller. Have to say the PC version looks a bit nicer and plays superbly. Although cant seem to get HDR working on the PC version for some reason. Anyone else having that problem?

Soldato
I'm reading a lot of complaints about this game which are a little on the concerning side.

1. Apparently there's some form of aim assist that can't be turned off even when using mouse and keyboard, which interferes with aiming/looking with the mouse at times.
2. There's no way to mute players while in the lobby of a multiplayer match?
3. Matchmaking taking 15-20 minutes, and people getting temp banned for being idle while waiting for such long periods. AKA people going to the toilet or to make a cup of tea or whatever after ten minutes of nothing happening.
4. The aim-assist for controller players is apparently far stronger than many feel fair, there's claims that it's borderline acting like an aim-bot. Perfectly tracking and head-shotting people from across the map through foliage and terrain, and even being able to track people through walls.

I'm really interested in picking this game up, but the above is a little concerning. Can anyone clarify on these points as to whether they're legitimate or if people are just exaggerating?

Associate
I'm reading a lot of complaints about this game which are a little on the concerning side.

1. Apparently there's some form of aim assist that can't be turned off even when using mouse and keyboard, which interferes with aiming/looking with the mouse at times.
2. There's no way to mute players while in the lobby of a multiplayer match?
3. Matchmaking taking 15-20 minutes, and people getting temp banned for being idle while waiting for such long periods. AKA people going to the toilet or to make a cup of tea or whatever after ten minutes of nothing happening.
4. The aim-assist for controller players is apparently far stronger than many feel fair, there's claims that it's borderline acting like an aim-bot. Perfectly tracking and head-shotting people from across the map through foliage and terrain, and even being able to track people through walls.

I'm really interested in picking this game up, but the above is a little concerning. Can anyone clarify on these points as to whether they're legitimate or if people are just exaggerating?

I'm 12 hours in and haven't noticed a single one of these issues. The only slight issue I've had is that the audio levels are very random at times- and I lost connection to a slayer game once.

Playing with 3 other people and they haven't had any of these issues either. I heard aim assist is strong on controller, but I'm playing KB+M and I'm usually top 3 in most games.

In terms of muting people I only come across 1 or 2 people each game using voice, never felt the need to mute anyone. You can disable voice but not mute people invidually, but again I haven't found it an issue (yet).

Queueing for games takes at most 2 mins, average under a minute.

Soldato
I'm 12 hours in and haven't noticed a single one of these issues. The only slight issue I've had is that the audio levels are very random at times- and I lost connection to a slayer game once.

Playing with 3 other people and they haven't had any of these issues either. I heard aim assist is strong on controller, but I'm playing KB+M and I'm usually top 3 in most games.

I'm guessing it's just a very vocal minority of people on steam making things sound worse than they are (as is often the case). Cheers for the response, thought I'd ask on here as OCUK tends to be a bit more level headed than the steam forums. I guess I'll pick the game up, it's cheap enough and I loved Halo: CE on PC back in the day.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm also playing with mouse and keyboard usually top in most games. Noway of me knowing if I am playing against controllers or mouse, and with no kill game, there is also no way to see how BS the lock on was.

Audio has been meh at times. Playing the campaign and I've had issues sometimes where the audio gets delayed. But no big issues

Associate
No noticable stutter here, tried 60 and unlocking the framerate too. I did notice some occasional microstutter when the framerate would go above 144fps, not very noticable though probably just because that's outside my monitors freesync range.

Fixed it by capping the framerate to 144fps, now it's smooth w/ freesync too.

Associate
One thing to keep in mind is that the uncapped frame rate is currently experimental, so you may run across a few random issues, stuttering and audio problems being some of them.

343 are working on getting it running smoothly while uncapped, but with the game never being intended to run on anything but the Xbox 360 it may take some time as lot of the games systems are tied to the original 30fps cap.

Soldato
Runs butter smooth for me. 4K but i capped the FPS to 144 in RTSS because that's the max my refresh rate will handle.
Then in nvidia control panel i set the game on low latency mode. Running with Vsync off as i have gsync enabled.
So surprised how this games runs.

Man of Honour
Completely smooth for me (3700x and Radeon VII at 3440x1440)

I've only played a short time so can refund on steam if necessary. What's the general consensus on getting Reach on its own or buying the whole Masterchief Collection?

Back
Top Bottom