Upgrading Vive to Index

Associate
Just found out I can upgrade my Vive headset only for the Index... Going by this thread the Index is a huge improvement over the Vive, but I'm unsure if I should be considering the Vive Pro.
OG Vive previously too. Get the index headset. It's just a good, solid, all round VR headset. I haven't bought the knuckles yet but it's on my list of upgrades..

Associate
A few people have had problems with the thumbsticks. OUt of the many thousands that have no problems you don't hear them... only the ones that have problems.
Having said that, it's a valid problem and you could end up with a duff one but Valve seem pretty good at shipping replacements.

I personally haven't got the controllers yet as the OG Vive's ones are just fine for now.

Soldato
What's wrong with the controllers? I've only read that quite a few games either feel wrong or don't support them.

I got to try the Index controllers recently. Apart from the thumbstick 'click' issue where they won't click in unless they're centred, the thumbsticks feel like they're in the wrong place making using them a little awkward. (Ideally the touchpad and the thumbsticks should have been swapped).

The finger tracking and the grip 'squeeze' features are great though.

Associate
Upgraded my Vive HMD to the Vive Pro rather than the Index (not interested in LCD panels personally), and just got the Index controllers instead.

Mine have slightly spongy clicks at some thumbstick positions, but they still click at least. I do agree that the thumbstick and touchpad positions should really have been switched.

Associate
OP
Welcome to the Index :)
Oh, and I'm watching this thread so I can predict the news story of internet strangers killing one another.. I watch too many movies :(
Good news! Neither of us are internet stranger killers!

At least, I know I'm still alive, I'm assuming @VincentHanna still is after leaving his place earlier this week.... :cool:

But, as of earlier this morning, my Vive is up for sell, and will be purchasing the Index very soon!

Caporegime
OG Vive owner, purchased the Index and controllers today, been on the fence about doing so but getting HL for free pushed me over the edge.

So you are continuing to use the v1.0 lighthouses. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. I only ordered the controller's, as I'm expecting this to make the biggest difference to HL:Alyx gameplay.

I'm now thinking I should have gone headset and controller's.

Caporegime
So you are continuing to use the v1.0 lighthouses. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. I only ordered the controller's, as I'm expecting this to make the biggest difference to HL:Alyx gameplay.

I'm now thinking I should have gone headset and controller's.

Yep V1.0 lighthouses, no issues with tracking, could not see a compelling reason to upgrade them.

Controllers are a massive upgrade from the meat handles before, though for backwards compatibility i will be keeping the original controllers, you can pair both sets and switch between though only one set can be on at a time according to SteamVR, finger tracking takes some getting used to as does not gripping the controller all the time.

Headset is a mixed bag, blacks are worse without doubt, IPD adjustment i find less easy to finesse, HMD is fine to wear with glasses though it took some messing to get the headset weight off the bridge of my nose, Halo type strap i find better overall.

Best bits: screen door effect and layout of the pixels represents a HUGE upgrade SDE is not quite gone but just about, happy to trade black levels for this, audio from the inbuilt speakers is excellent, refresh rate at 120 or 144hz is fantastic.

Associate
If you want maximum device compatibility, then stick with the 1.0 lighthouses. If you get the 2.0 lighthouses, you're restricted to purely 2.0 devices i.e. Index, Pimax or Vive Pro HMD and Index/Vive Pro controllers.

Back
Top Bottom