Winter 2019/2020

Man of Honour
OP
Sadly I don't think we'll see that - a brief blip around the 13th/14th that looks to be sleety at best for most of the country and still very uncertain whether any arctic/polar disturbance will pan out - it is looking like a glancing blow stratospheric warming wise which might throw some cold our way but nothing notable.

Soldato
I would love to see nothing more than a good few weeks of deep snow bringing this country into chaos for the pure and simple fact we as a country never learn and cant cope..a dusting and everything stops! Pah! Not so hopeful however for anything significant...

Events like that are a thing of the past, I doubt we'll see anything of the like again this year, if ever.

Soldato
I would love to see nothing more than a good few weeks of deep snow bringing this country into chaos for the pure and simple fact we as a country never learn and cant cope..a dusting and everything stops! Pah! Not so hopeful however for anything significant...

What other national disasters do you wish on the country in order to teach us a lesson in not having an unlimited budget for freak events?

Soldato
I was planning on driving up to Scotland on Friday night to have a play in the snow on Saturday but the cold weather seems to have disappeared and any good climbing conditions have been stripped. Looks like it's just going to be a miserable mild, wet and windy weekend now instead so I've scrapped my plans.

Man of Honour
OP
I was planning on driving up to Scotland on Friday night to have a play in the snow on Saturday but the cold weather seems to have disappeared and any good climbing conditions have been stripped. Looks like it's just going to be a miserable mild, wet and windy weekend now instead so I've scrapped my plans.

Mid December looking interesting for snow over Scotland - when/if it does looks like it will be very heavy but conditions are marginal could be a lot of slush instead.

Associate
Big downgrade on the models past 24 hours but let's get Sunday/Monday and this immediate weather system out of the way before we enter a more reliable time frame.

Soldato
Mid December looking interesting for snow over Scotland - when/if it does looks like it will be very heavy but conditions are marginal could be a lot of slush instead.

It was looking good a couple weeks back and people were starting to put routes up. A few more freeze thaw cycles and it would have been great, however looking at the webcam from the CIC hut pointing at the north face of the Ben, it's all been stripped away. It was always a bit optimistic planning a drive up for early season conditions though.

Soldato
In all my years I've never once felt the need to change my tyres, and most of my car history is real wheel drive.
I took a gamble and used them once years ago and worked out well, it was a harsh winter. My neighbours found it amusing when I took a 340BHP rear wheel drive car with wide tyres out on snow covered roads. Didn't get stuck at all and car was easy to control.
Depends how many miles people do a year, where they live etc. Winter tyres work very well but I wouldn't bother if I lived and worked in the same town. I haven't bothered since that one time and luckily have avoided bad weather since or used the home office if bad weather predicted. Buying and storing two sets of wheels over here is a PITA. Great if everyone has a garage.....

Last edited:
Soldato
We're setup for it over here. It's a standard thing to do at this time of year. Everyone seems to think that winter tyres are just for snow, but it's all in the compound of the rubber. Anything below 7c and winter tyres are the way to go. Under 7c summer tyres are massively affected in their ability to provide the same grip as the rubber is a lot harder at those temps. All season tyres cater for a good middle ground in UK weather, but with summers it's a vast difference.

Do you @DarrenM343 go for skinnier winters? We've always been recommended to drop the width a bit. e.g. my s4 standard width is 245 but I use 225s in my winters and a slightly higher profile. Helps with grip more.

Soldato
Do you @DarrenM343 go for skinnier winters? We've always been recommended to drop the width a bit. e.g. my s4 standard width is 245 but I use 225s in my winters and a slightly higher profile. Helps with grip more.
I did. I just used the standard wheels so couldn;t go too narrow however. The summers were worn by November so I replaced them with winters to try them. I couldn't go too narrow due to the size of the wheels so went with 225x45 profile all round (stock sizes were 225 front, 255 rear). The rears looked only a tiny bit stretched. Couldn't go with a higher profile due to it being a sports car (potential rubbing issues).
Ideally I'd want narrower and smaller wheels and tyres on a modern (big wheeled car) to put winter tyres on. I use an old Yaris as a daily driver which only has 14" wheels and skinny tyres anyway so I'd just replace those with the same sized winters.
I did find them very good. While the rear end was still loose on winters(225 wide tyres and 340HP), I remember driving out of the office carpark when other people using the same carpark with front wheel drive hatchbacks were stuck. I then proceeded to drive it sideways up a slope, intentionally :). Z4 M Coupe had a good balance :D

V_R

V_R

Soldato
So, is it going to snow this year or what? I don't understand all these fancy charts, just give it to me straight. :D

Associate
So, is it going to snow this year or what? I don't understand all these fancy charts, just give it to me straight. :D

Any chances of a northerly next week have gone, we will be stuck in a zonal pattern (Atlantic driven) with rain and average temperatures

We are too far from any kind of reliable timeframe to start talking about snow any further than 7 days out

Back
Top Bottom