Corsair 250D - what cooler?

Soldato
Hi all

I have a Corsair 250D case with an H100i (original) AIO running an Intel rig. I am going to be moving to AMD but I have had the AMD mounting kit on order for ages now and the date just keeps getting pushed. So with that in mind, what should I replace the H100i with? Should I just go for the H100i Pro? Should I switch back to air? Kit will be as follows:

Ryzen 3600
Asus X470-I
16GB 3600 Patriot Viper Steel (2 x 8GB)

I will be running a 2TB SSD and a 1TB NVMe. The other heat generating component will be an MSI 1070 GAMING X 8G.

So, everyone will have a different opinion no doubt, what's yours? :D

Caporegime
Could you try the stock cooler and see how you get on? Packaging is a pain on the 250D so other than another AIO you could try a low profile Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4

I've binned off my 250D as my 5700 XT didn't fit and the requirements of heat have lead me to a mid-tower with room for beefier cooling and airflow

Soldato
OP
Not a bad idea really. The case sits in a cabinet so I'm not bothered about looks or anything, it already has all of its side panels off and I am soon to hook up an extractor fan to try expel hot air buildup from the cabinet. I guess the only thing about the stock cooler is noise but it doesn't cost me anything to try.

If i could go any bigger in case dimensions I very much would but in order to stay married I have to operate under very specific dimensions :D

Associate
Not a bad idea really. The case sits in a cabinet so I'm not bothered about looks or anything, it already has all of its side panels off and I am soon to hook up an extractor fan to try expel hot air buildup from the cabinet. I guess the only thing about the stock cooler is noise but it doesn't cost me anything to try.

If i could go any bigger in case dimensions I very much would but in order to stay married I have to operate under very specific dimensions :D

When you do the extractor fan mod, I can thoroughly recommend the 120mm BeQuiet Silent Wings 3. Used a 110mm holesaw to cut through the chipboard and the rubber grommets in the fan kit to mount.

I used a fan header extension cable/splitter to power it at 50% and it's virtually silent.

I have my PC in an IKEA Besta cabinet, with the door open in the evening, but I found extracting the hot air building up made everything run quieter...

(I've added an extra fan to each unit since, which has made a huge difference to AV-Receiver temps).
Pics: http://imgur.com/gallery/rdbAH

Soldato
OP
When you do the extractor fan mod, I can thoroughly recommend the 120mm BeQuiet Silent Wings 3. Used a 110mm holesaw to cut through the chipboard and the rubber grommets in the fan kit to mount.

I used a fan header extension cable/splitter to power it at 50% and it's virtually silent.

I have my PC in an IKEA Besta cabinet, with the door open in the evening, but I found extracting the hot air building up made everything run quieter...

(I've added an extra fan to each unit since, which has made a huge difference to AV-Receiver temps).
Pics: http://imgur.com/gallery/rdbAH
All very useful info, thank you.

I found 'coolerguys 120mm usb powered cooling kit' which I was going to try. I have 130mm holes cut in the backboard and that is what this kit says it needs so thought I'd give it a whirl, even if it's a bit pricey.

Soldato
Maybe use cabinet as case with just the motherboard tray and back panel to support whatever is mounted in PCIe sockets. Could use a couple of fans for airflow through cabinet with filtered vents in front of front of motherboard as intake fans in cabinet bottom or door and exhaust vents in back.

Soldato
OP
Maybe use cabinet as case with just the motherboard tray and back panel to support whatever is mounted in PCIe sockets. Could use a couple of fans for airflow through cabinet with filtered vents in front of front of motherboard as intake fans in cabinet bottom or door and exhaust vents in back.
This is pretty much what I have decided to do after having a think last night. I was looking at skeleton cases etc and thought that is pretty much what i have with all the panels off. So cabinet ventilation and stock cooler (for now, can always change it).

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, it is appreciated :)

Associate
I had the Corsair 250D and didn't have an troubles fitting a 240mm aio og 300mm long graphics cards. I used a Corsair Hydro H100X on my Ryzen 7 2700X I had in that build, and before that I used the stock Wraith Prism cooler also just fine. Alternatively you can use a Noctua NH D9L or a Noctua NH U9S.

Back
Top Bottom