what does your nest schedule look like?

Soldato
OP
So here is the deal
Tried 18.5 for the night and this morning

the temperature seems okay but now there is no leaf appearing on the nest?

But i did get a leaf on 18.5 before i made this change. How does this leaf technology work?

Caporegime
You need better rads or better placement of them if it takes 3 hours to go from 14c to 20c.

O and better insulation.

My house was built around 2000 so 19 years old. It has full loft insulation. The walls have no cavities, etc.

Are you suggesting then I insulate the outside of my home and upgrade to triple glazing? Those are both cost prohibitive compared to the savings.

I have just bought two closed vent extractor fans for the bathrooms that need installing. other than that I don't really see anything else i can do.

put it this way if it was 15C outside it would take an hour to go from 14C to 20C. the fact is it's cold up here.

Soldato
Mine will go from 14 to 20c in minutes.

You might just have the water temperature too low.

Low and longer to heat up but more efficient with a condensing boiler.

or

Higher (hotter rad) and quicker to heat up but not as efficient with a condensing boiler.

Which uses more gas?

Soldato
Low and longer to heat up but more efficient with a condensing boiler.

or

Higher (hotter rad) and quicker to heat up but not as efficient with a condensing boiler.

Which uses more gas?

The flow temp doesn't dictate condensing or not, you need the return to be around 55c or less.
So at first heating up even a flow of 80c will condense.
Only when the system gets hot throughout do you need to reduce the flow temperature.

Soldato
The flow temp doesn't dictate condensing or not, you need the return to be around 55c or less.
So at first heating up even a flow of 80c will condense.
Only when the system gets hot throughout do you need to reduce the flow temperature.

I have mine (no nest or hive involved just a bog standard timer) set to 55oC odd on the dial on the front of the boiler (denoted with an E for economy). I always though if I put that higher the boiler is not as efficient. Am I misunderstanding this?

Associate

Hive not nest, but mine at 14 over night and during the day and 17 in the morning when we get up and the evening, seems low compared the temperature of some of these. I'd hate to be paying your gas bills!

Soldato
Mine has a completely different schedule for each room.
But basically when the room is in use it's about 20-21c.
Off temp is set to 15c.
Dining room is always set about 1c lower than the living room.
Babies room is heated to 22c all night, master bedroom turns off at 22:00.

Doesn't use that much gas at all, lower than it used to be heating the whole house to 18c.

Soldato
OP
this thread has really got my thinking....

I see a lot of people here who have their nest or other schedules set to have a low temperature through the night. like 12c etc.

I will be honest here I had the night time temp to 19/19.5c but in the last few nights I changed it to 18.5C (thinking of lowering this a bit)

The thing I don't understand is this, let's assume that tonight I dropped the temperature to 14C at 12am, then I put the heating on for 18.5C at 6:30

Surely this big jump (from 14c to 18.5C) will be consuming much more energy than keeping the temps around about the same temperature all night long?

Soldato
I had a really simple schedule. Mon to Wed 7am would be 20c, 8pm would be 20c also. Would use eco mode to turn the heating off when I was at work and I would have to manually flick the heating on via the app when leaving work so the temp would be nice when I got home.
Recently in the cold weather it was using 2 1/2hrs per day.
On Monday I turned learning back on with auto schedule, and for the past 2 days it has used 2 1/4 hours and the house has been warm when I have got back home.

Going to monitor it for a while to see how it works out. Hopefully the auto schedule works as good as eco mode.

Associate

I see a lot of people here who have their nest or other schedules set to have a low temperature through the night. like 12c etc.

I will be honest here I had the night time temp to 19/19.5c but in the last few nights I changed it to 18.5C (thinking of lowering this a bit)

The thing I don't understand is this, let's assume that tonight I dropped the temperature to 14C at 12am, then I put the heating on for 18.5C at 6:30

Surely this big jump (from 14c to 18.5C) will be consuming much more energy than keeping the temps around about the same temperature all night long?

You are assuming that the temperature in the house actually drops to 14 degrees though. Even though mine is set to 14 during the day and night it rarely gets that low. In reality its putting the heating on for an hour before we wake up and an hour before we get home. It all depends on the house and where your thermostat is though. Ours is set a bit lower as the thermostat is in the largest / coldest room of the house. Actual temperature in say the bedroom is higher. Also personally I cant sleep if its too hot, so by turning it off at 10, by the time i'm trying to get to sleep its a comfortable temperature for me. If I left it on all night I'd be toasting!

Soldato
OP
^^^^ good point, my nest is in the hallway
probably the coldest part of the house.

I don't believe the temperature would ever drop below 16/17C, the only time that happened was when away and the heating was not turned in 2 weeks.

I've spent a long time over the last 6 weeks trying to get the system how it was last year almost there now

Associate
In both cases heater will need to replenish the energy lost during the night. House will lose more energy when difference between inside and outside is higher. So by keeping temperature lower during the night, it loses less heat total.

Unless the heater is so weak that it takes too long to raise the temperature in the morning, long ON period should be better for heater as well compared to short small bursts

Caporegime

that train of thought is a complete myth.

think of it as a kettle. if i need hot water at 9pm. do i turn the kettle on all day or when i need it? because the kettle will lose heat when it's hot.

same goes for your house. it loses heat all the time so long as outside is colder than inside.

so if you have your heating on 24/7 even low. you will lose more energy than having it off. you will also use less energy getting it up to temp than having it at a lower temp then getting it up to temp.

a house is not a closed system. it leaks heat. if you live in a vacuum then sure turn it on when you don't need it.

Back
Top Bottom