BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Where are you finding deals on FTTP packages, all the comparison sites are only showing me ADSL2+ and FTTC deals.

I have this problem being on openreach fttp, packages start at £30 for just 50meg where as on fttc I could get 76meg for £22. There is literally no choice as all the other providers are more expensive than bt which is already expensive.

Soldato
One thing I'm not clear on with BT's Fibre First FTTP rollout - are they literally replacing all the "last mile" copper cable and running fibre to every premises?

If so then surely that's a monumental undertaking, how are they doing it so rapidly?

If not then how is it FTTP at all?

Soldato
One thing I'm not clear on with BT's Fibre First FTTP rollout - are they literally replacing all the "last mile" copper cable and running fibre to every premises?

If so then surely that's a monumental undertaking, how are they doing it so rapidly? It's from the green box to your home that only needs replacing, it's true Fttp. To be honest no major difference unless you download on Steam. They're uploads aren't as high as day cityfibre Vodafone fttp

Soldato

If so then surely that's a monumental undertaking, how are they doing it so rapidly?

They started the rollout of FTTP here in Salisbury in April and my building is already live for FTTP.

Soldato

They are rolling full fibre to the property to several towns in Central Scotland rapidly, in a matter of weeks they have put in fibre nodes put in new poles for houses connected via overhead lines and laid under ground cables to each property that is connected with underground cable. This surprised me as the towns aren't even listed in any rollout plans I have seen but if I put my address in the FTTP site it says it is coming soon to my area.

They are doing a lot of towns in Scotland as Openreach were offered a tax break by the Scottish Government.

Soldato
Most of BTs wires are in ducts so they can pull through new ones. It’s not like they need to dig up every pavement in the country. Sure they’ll have to dig some up but they won’t be starting there.

Caporegime
They aren’t installing to each home as part of the rollout, they are just getting cables close enough and the database updated so you can place an order. The cable to your house goes in when the installation appointment is booked.

Soldato
They aren’t installing to each home as part of the rollout, they are just getting cables close enough and the database updated so you can place an order. The cable to your house goes in when the installation appointment is booked.
They have run fibre to the buildings where i live, with OFS Fibre termination point's on the wall by the front doors.

Soldato
Really annoying that where I live there's still no FTTP dates. There's no virgin media around either so stuck with 30mb download. It's a reasonably 'upmarket' town too so I'd think the uptake would be reasonably high.

Soldato

They have dug up the pavements and laid trunking with access points to the edge of every property that is currently connected with underground wiring. I realise they won’t install the fibre unless you order I don’t expect this to be taken up by many in my area as majority of the houses get the full 80/20.

Last edited:
Soldato
Really annoying that where I live there's still no FTTP dates. There's no virgin media around either so stuck with 30mb download. It's a reasonably 'upmarket' town too so I'd think the uptake would be reasonably high.
I feel your pain, it's the same here. I was getting 20mb until i changed my rather antique master socket, now i'm getting 34 ish. No chance of getting more than that unless FTTP is offered or Open Reach decide to install a closer cabinet. No Virgin here, either, and pretty much zero chance of ever getting it. It sucks, i was on 150mb 4 years ago until we moved here.

Man of Honour
All the new houses across the road have FTTP, but I can't get it so I'm stuck on FTTC. At least I get 60 Mbps which is fast enough for 90% of things I use the internet for. Virgin Media won't come here until all the roads are adopted which will take another few years.

It's frustrating that they can't simply offer FTTP everywhere, there's clearly infrastructure in place for it.

Back
Top Bottom