• Yes, but after launch

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 286 75.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 12.9%

• Total voters
Soldato
Stadia, 300Mbps, but no decent games. Any high profile titles available I've already played on the traditional setups and definitely not paying £50+ to sample them again at a higher fidelity.

It's looking like Thumper until something new ( across the board ) is released.Hopefully Cyberpunk will hit Stadia at the same time as the consoles.

Just out of interest, you knew the games list at launch, so why did you buy into it now if there was nothing you wanted to play?

We're you just keen to try it out?

Soldato
wow I thought the downsides of this would be.

Ultimate DRM
Games been available on the whim and pulled at random.
AD and tracking in games.

But seems its also been used to force people into the google ECO system. Gamersnexus couldnt even activate it on generic android phones.

Also I wonder if this would have been the resulting review, if google sent him a free review package? Retail review = more criticism?

Soldato
Also I wonder if this would have been the resulting review, if google sent him a free review package? Retail review = more criticism?
I'm certain that would be the case, or perhaps even if he had done a bit of basic research that anyone who was spending their hard earned without a pre determined mindset would have done.

So many points to pick up on and I could only stomach watching it to the point where he demonstrated he has no idea how a Chromecast works.

1) It is a "unique point in history" sure it isn't particularly important or relevant to most people but the launch of Stadia is a one time event.

2) It is obvious new adopters are going to get first dibs on a username. I didn't cry like a baby when I bought an Xbox a year after launch and couldn't get the "player 1" username I wanted.

3) The free package coming later gives Google a certain element of control over how people access the service by steering most traffic to streaming via Chromecast.

4) "The free package is the opposite of free as you have to pay for games" name me a free system that has free games. The point is completely obsurd.

5) The controller stunt :rolleyes: I didn't intentionally do it but those controllers can take a drop!

6) The whole Google eco system thing. Well... Why would you be surprised at that? I'd have been more annoyed if I couldn't just hit sign in with Google and had to set up another account just for Stadia and another payment method etc.

7) It works fine on my generic cheap Chinese phone, it clearly doesn't need a Pixel to set it up

As I say, when he thought the Chromecast was streaming from the phone I had to quit but I'm sure there was more gold to come from that guys script he was reading from.

Soldato
That's my issue, a lot of the points were clear nit picking, hence my comment about if it would have been this review with a free sample. I have long said reviewers are swayed by if they pay for the review or not.

The only real issue i seen in his review is the ECO system stuff, that is clearly a genuine problem, but I think the rest was nit picking.

Do you have any thoughts why they couldnt get the app on their phone's? His point was valid about not been able to use the browser in my view.

Soldato
snip...

He came across more bitter that he didn't get a review edition and went out his way to find problems starting with having to use a phone to activate. Does Samsung even support the phone he was trying, Galaxy S4?...

I used the Galaxy S10 without the drama he had.

Last edited:
Soldato
If he had a review sample, he'd have been able to play games. So of course the review would have been more positive. The entire video is basically a rant because he didn't get either of his codes. He makes some fair points, and some unfair ones, but the general tone was set as soon as he realised he couldn't use the thing.

Soldato
I don't like his videos. He comes across like he knows everything but when there is someone else in the room (Wendell from Level1) he hasn't got a clue.

Nevertheless to keep on the topic of Stadia. I can't get over the 3.5mbs cap on Chrome, makes the image look shoddy imo. I hope this gets upped soon.

Hope to try it out on CCU if I can afford to buy in for the premier edition

Associate
Nevertheless to keep on the topic of Stadia. I can't get over the 3.5mbs cap on Chrome, makes the image look shoddy imo. I hope this gets upped soon.

Agreed. I love the ability to play on any number of devices but you can see a real difference between a Chrome browser and a Chromecast. I don't understand the reason for the limit but hopefully they will resolve soon.

Soldato
I really would like to play on the TV with a Switch pro controller, so I can say and just buy a CCU instead of the premier edition. But not sure how much more latency that would add Vs the Stadia controller.

Soldato
I really would like to play on the TV with a Switch pro controller, so I can say and just buy a CCU instead of the premier edition. But not sure how much more latency that would add Vs the Stadia controller.
I suspect the only controller you'll be able to use with the Chromecast is the Stadia one as it connects to your wireless network not the chromecast direct.

I'm hoping they will sell the controllers separately soon and at a reasonable price, probably expecting too much hehe

Soldato
Wish you could pick when you get the premier, loving the look of that Wasabi!

I'm sure bundles will come next year, one with a claw etc.

My wife has got me a wasabi for Christmas, although I need to twist her arm to let me have it earlier as I want to play Darksiders co op with my mate at the weekend lol. It's definitely the best colour.

Soldato
Just out of interest, you knew the games list at launch, so why did you buy into it now if there was nothing you wanted to play?

We're you just keen to try it out?

No I never knew the full games list but yes I could have quite easily looked them up.

I would have purchased one eventually, but when one popped up on the market it was an impulse buy

Last edited:
Soldato
No I never knew the full games list but yes I could have quite easily looked them up.

I would have purchased one eventually, but when one popped up on the market it was an impulse buy

Fair enough, I've almost pulled the trigger a couple of times myself.

Not sure my fibre will be good enough but I'm only planning on gaming at 1080p so think I'll wait until I can try the free Base version and then go from there.

Associate
Is Rock N tRoll going to give his update on Stadia. Had a lot to say about it before it was out, now its been released. What are your thoughts on it.

Back
Top Bottom