Old people and 'that sixth sense'

Soldato
Twice in the last two weeks an old person has hit my car whilst attempting to park, and as I was watching them at the time, I just 'knew' it was going to happen.
First time, I'm stood in a shop idly looking out the window at my car when an old couple pull up, and the driver starts reversing in to the parking space.Before he was anywhere near my bumper I knew he wasn't going to stop. So he hits the car, and pulls forward. I run out and tell him what he's done, and he just flat out denied it, even with other people telling him he did it. Luckily there's no damage.
Today, have to take the dog to the vets, empty car park, and another old fool drives straight in and clunks my door mirror. I watched him drive in, and just had that feeling. Again no damage, and I couldn't even be bothered to go out and have a go, because he would have just denied it.
They just don't care.

Soldato
An old guy almost reversed out of his driveway right in to the side of me while I was waiting in traffic not long ago. He only stopped when I beeped at him and was a couple inches away when he stopped. No idea how he didn't see me, all he had to do was look in the mirror and my car would have filled it :D

Last edited:
Soldato
One of my scariest experiences was when my grandad pulled from a surprise to a dual carriageway. I was sat in the back and there was no head check just pull straight on :eek:.

Associate
I watched in horror as my neighbour across the road reversed into my 18 month old 3 series. Said he’d pay for the damage so I got it fixed and never asked for the money (£250 or so)...By that point I’d given up on the car as I’d had a bit of bad luck with damaging it and just couldn’t be arsed anymore.

Soldato
One of my scariest experiences was when my grandad pulled from a surprise to a dual carriageway. I was sat in the back and there was no head check just pull straight on :eek:.

Not only old people do that. Most motorway accidents happen at the end of slip roads :/

Man of Honour
I've lost count of the young people who keep opening their doors onto my car. I just know it's going to happen because many of them don't seem to care about their own (leased) cars.

See, we can all be ageist :)

Associate
On top of the slower reaction time and unawareness of space, fashionable SUV offers very poor view for parking, and the driver, quite often need to relay on parking sensors/camera.
But my favourite is when someone who's been driving for 50 years and claims longevity issues with brand new car's clutch. Quite often they rev to the redline while the clutch still half way.
PS: stay away from Rovers.

Soldato
I drive supermarket lorries so encounter lots of older people on the road. I get the impression many of them don't use their mirrors at all. They also often drive really slowly.

My biggest old person annoyance are the ones who dive into tiny gaps to get out of my way, oblivious to the fact that the cars behind them are still blocking the road.

Have to say that not all old drivers are bad and there are plenty of awful younger drivers.

Back
Top Bottom