• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is this dodgy intel tricks

Soldato
I don't think so. It has the highest possible multi-core scaling of any CPU released so far. It can scale perfectly with logical threads..

Agreed. It wasn't the best 'gaming' chip at the time due to everything being so mono-threaded and single core speed focused, but for server and workstation loads it was a nice chip. Nowadays it's actually held up to a large degree, due to software taking advantage of its threads. It did suffer for sharing the FPU between two logical cores, but not massively. I still have an 8350 that only got retired last year, and will probably end up re-purposed at some point.

Permabanned
A few days ago, a small internet uproar occured when it was discovered that Intel's MKL (that powers Matlab) changes its performance not based on CPU features, but on the company that made the CPU.

I made a stickied comment there initially intending to summarize and compile the important details, but in doing so I fell down a rabbit hole. I'm not a trade lawyer, but this stuff seems pretty damning with even a general layman's scan.

I dug into an old FTC investigation from 2009-2010 that determined, not only did the FTC order intel to STOP doing exactly what they're doing today, but they call out Intel's Math Kernel Library by name (which can be found in the last page of the conclusion)
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/e4klj0/intel_is_still_sneakily_sabotaging_amd/

Extremetech: How to Bypass Matlab’s ‘Cripple AMD CPU’ Function

TrM

TrM

Associate
Its not surprising that intel had gone back to these sorts of tactics. And the stuff they are doing is typical of intel of old.

The thing I don’t get though is intel is still having 14nm production problems even though in some segments the demand is a lot lower the. They are used to.

whilst amd cpu and am4 has many benifits. Intel only need to drop there prices for sales to pick up again. In the mainstream market if the i7 £249.99 or there abouts and the 9900k was priced between the 3700x and 3800x and the 9900k was just above the 3800x in price it would solve there sales numbers problem and amd gains in market share etc. Not this underhanded tactics so they can keep there profits higher per cpu. But if they reduced there price on main stream cpu across all segments there outlook would look better .

Associate
So you are telling me a 6 year old 22nm Haswell CPU is coming back for Christmas! :D
giphy.gif

TrM

TrM

Associate
22nm 2/2 CPU in a world full of affordable 7nm CPUs.

there is one thing that these affordable cpu don’t have and that’s intel sticker on them:) stick intel branding on 3900x is hailed the next coming of cpu tech!

come on we all know the branding coming for intel new cpu The fastest 10 core cpu ever!

Last edited:
Soldato
The thing I don’t get though is intel is still having 14nm production problems even though in some segments the demand is a lot lower the. They are used to.
But it's not, that's the thing, 14nm demand is through the roof. I think it's safe to say that Intel's 14nm production is fully maxed at building Xeons to prop up their failing servers. However much we'd like it to happen, AMD can't just steamroll through server markets despite having the vastly superior product. It takes a long time for server products to be certified and massive infrastructure changes to be planned and rolled out.

So what we're seeing is existing Intel customers are getting battered left, right and center with all the security patches and are forced into buying more Intel servers to make up the performance deficit, because that's the fastest way: server farm X loses 40% performance, have to buy more servers to compensate, Intel need to make more Xeons, more Xeons means less desktop chips.

Clicking your fingers and switching to EPYC just isn't an option, however much the techs would like to.

Last edited:
Soldato
so glad i'm not one of those who hopes AMD does well so intel gets cheap. Sold my trash 9900k never going back to team blue again. They literally milked the consumer for YEARS. we would probably been on 6 cores until 2022 if it wasn't for AMD. 16 core consumer chip !!!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
so glad i'm not one of those who hopes AMD does well so intel gets cheap. Sold my trash 9900k never going back to team blue again. They literally milked the consumer for YEARS. we would probably been on 6 cores until 2022 if it wasn't for AMD. 16 core consumer chip !!!
Indeed. It will take a lot to get me to buy Intel again. Only way I see it is they bring a CPU that leaves AMD in the dust and also if it turns out now AMD are the ones riddled with security issues. Very unlikely to happen.

TrM

TrM

Associate

That’s the thing though intel didn’t have competition and I can see amd going the same way if they was unchallenged for years.

myself personally I allways go for the better cpu and until ryzen come out we only had 1 choice and that was intel. Now we have a choice and amd looks strong for the future atm which is amazing but intel will sooner or later come out with something though and it will turn everyone heads again. There to big to roll over to amd:(

Soldato
AMD will never be in a position to pull and Intel and stagnate simply because Intel with sort out their node issues and fight back, and fight back hard. And all the while AMD will be paranoid about that day arriving, so there is no time to rest on their laurels.

Why do you think they're pushing so hard right now? Arguably there's no need to release Zen 3 next year, and Zen 4 after that, because Intel have zero to compete with for a few years. But AMD are trying to build up a technological buffer so they can continue to lead as Intel close the gap in the next few years, and that gap will close and fast.

Soldato
Intel has just solved their CPU shortage problem by adding a new Pentium to their roadmap :D

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/intel-is-bringing-back-a-22nm-haswell-era-pentium-cpu-for-some-reason/

I read this the other day as i got a news update on my phone. It did make me laugh, and seems rather funny given their situation with going to Samsung for help to "beat AMD". They're either running out of money, or know that they cannot keep up with red at this point in time.

Back
Top Bottom