US: The Mandalorian

Caporegime
I enjoyed it, see plenty of whinging from so called critics about "fan service nods" which makes no real sense. Are they expecting every planet they visit to be different by name only but keep a similar theme, desert planets etc? If they went that way then they would complain about yet another desert planet, so they go the other way and bring back Tatooine and they whinge about that instead. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Soldato
They are playing it a bit safe as it's clearly quite low budget and the first live action SW series. But it's still really good and you don't need a lot of money to make a good show.

If it does well I bet a second series will have much more cash thrown at it, so they will be able to make more elaborate looking settings/planets etc. like we see in the movies.

Soldato
really frustrating its in widescreen rather than full screen

or is this perhaps down to my err choice of airline for my trips to the US?

can anyone confirm if its its available in full screen format?

Soldato
Thought the 5th was good.

To address the aspect ratio comment, it is in widescreen but it's shot in 2.39:1 rather than 16:9 to give it a more 'cinematic feel'.

Associate
They are playing it a bit safe as it's clearly quite low budget and the first live action SW series. But it's still really good and you don't need a lot of money to make a good show.

If it does well I bet a second series will have much more cash thrown at it, so they will be able to make more elaborate looking settings/planets etc. like we see in the movies.

$15 million per episode, not a cheap budget at all.

Cheers all

Soldato
$15 million per episode, not a cheap budget at all.

Cheers all

I saw that the other day and wondered how that was the case as the final season of GOT was about the same but with significantly more actors, longer running time and some huge battles.. I also thought a significant portion was practical effects so not masses of cg to bump up the costs.. :o

Soldato
I saw that the other day and wondered how that was the case as the final season of GOT was about the same but with significantly more actors, longer running time and some huge battles.. I also thought a significant portion was practical effects so not masses of cg to bump up the costs.. :o

Practical is generally more expensive than CG, hence why everything is CG where possible these days unless the director wants otherwise. There is also a lot of CG in this and a musical score that runs throughout.

It's not quite as clear cut to compare them either, many of the assets used in GOT will be able to be re-used from previous seasons, they'll be having to build everything from scratch for SW this year. Likewise the actors used in GoT were relatively unknown at the start, as were the directors, the sets also look full but many of those are extras.

Back
Top Bottom