Red Dead Redemption 2

Soldato
No noticeable difference outside of a stopwatch. The game data is optimised for HDD still its years away before games will load faster on an SSD as its all stuck on the one size fits all consoles approach and PC is seen as one of the consoles!!

Many games load MUCH quicker on SSDs. I think part of RDR2's issue is it's always checking in with Rockstar servers so has to wait for that :/

Man of Honour
Are the performance issues now resolved with this? I'm seeing Steam reviews are mixed?

Performance on mine has been better for a while now. I wouldnt pay a great deal of attention to the Steam reviews though, I find Steam reviews are quite often packed with idiots giving negative reviews for the most pathetic of reasons. For example, there are quite a few people who have given RDR2 negative reviews on Steam on the grounds that its boring. Which is pathetic for a few reasons, namely that its not an action game, it has a slower pace and if the idiot reviewing it didnt realise that then they should have done more research before parting with their money. Also, if the reviewer finds it boring then that does not make it a bad game, case in point, I find Schindlers List to be very boring but I cannot deny that its a well done film. But then some people are no good at reviewing objectively.

Soldato
I find this game a bit confusing to be honest. For example, you start the game up for the.. it doesn't start from a place where you saved it. I starts somewhere random in the vicinity.

Then there is no marker to tell me where to go what to do. I just wonder around and stumble in to something to kicks off a quest or story mission.

But it should be tighter than this. It should have a quest log or something that visibly shows me where to go for missions etc..

Soldato
I find this game a bit confusing to be honest. For example, you start the game up for the.. it doesn't start from a place where you saved it. I starts somewhere random in the vicinity.

Then there is no marker to tell me where to go what to do. I just wonder around and stumble in to something to kicks off a quest or story mission.

But it should be tighter than this. It should have a quest log or something that visibly shows me where to go for missions etc..

The game really is not a linear story as such. There is so much outside of the story to do and discover. Whilst the yellow markers show where the story checkpoints are there is so much outside of that. I spent 60 hours in chapter 2 alone just wandering about, finding stuff to do.

The game is so faceted that you sort of get lost outside of the main story.

If you want to get the story done, it’s quite easy to run through by following the yellow markers and check the log to see what you are doing and what side quests you have running.

Soldato
Are the performance issues now resolved with this? I'm seeing Steam reviews are mixed?

Using a Vega64 I've never had issues with it, it has got better after patching though. Only certain options seem to kill FPS but they aren't even noticeable (like tree bark tessellation and slightly better water physics).

zer

zer

Associate
Hi there from Greece!
Anyone tried Steam or R* version with Steam Controller? Seems to me as an ideal candidate for this controller, joystick walking / riding and mouse (trackpad) shooting...
Also, will Steam controller work with R* version? It will obviously work with native steam one...
Many thanks!

Soldato
What a flop this has been on Steam. It didn't even make it to the top 15. I guess when you treat the biggest platform of pc gamers like dirt they won't be that eager to buy your game.

Hi there from Greece!
Anyone tried Steam or R* version with Steam Controller? Seems to me as an ideal candidate for this controller, joystick walking / riding and mouse (trackpad) shooting...
Also, will Steam controller work with R* version? It will obviously work with native steam one...
Many thanks!

Steam controller works with everything as long as you spend some time to customize it to your liking. I've only had mine for a few days and it has already become my favourite gamepad.

Soldato

The save system is very irritating. As is setting up camp - you choose where, and then it teleports you to somewhere else. I'd prefer it to indicate where the camp will be set up and let you choose rather than suddenly being at the bottom of a cliff because that's where it's decided you should be!

Man of Honour
Did anyone else just get given 7 gold bars?? The missus and I are online at the moment and we were both just out hunting skins as normal and suddenly for no apparent reason we were both given 7 gold bars each

Man of Honour
What a flop this has been on Steam. It didn't even make it to the top 15. I guess when you treat the biggest platform of pc gamers like dirt they won't be that eager to buy your game.

Or possibly its because most people who wanted the game have already bought it on Rockstar, given that there isnt really much advantage in having waited for it to arrive on Steam. 9 out of 10 of my friends who wanted RDR2 bought it day one on Rockstar rather than wait for Steam.

Associate
The save system is very irritating. As is setting up camp - you choose where, and then it teleports you to somewhere else. I'd prefer it to indicate where the camp will be set up and let you choose rather than suddenly being at the bottom of a cliff because that's where it's decided you should be!
Never had the camp move, its always been put up where I am at the time

Soldato
Is there any advantage to buying from Rockstar over Steam? I don't have the R* launcher and would rather avoid having to install it unless there's an advantage? I'm seeing the price is the same on both platforms.

Back
Top Bottom