• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (Ryzen 4000) already in the works

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
GPU's are so far behind CPU tech at the moment, quite the pain
Yeah. I want a 3070 asap, not interested in anything else. Picked up an PS4 Pro and an OLED TV on Black Friday so worst case I will play Cyberpunk 2077 on that if they don’t release it by April.

TrM

TrM

Associate
???

I know ryzen 1 had issues but 3 !

Some X570 mobo have 7 bios updates in 2 months 2 major amd code upgrades to fix bugs and to sort out boosting. Temp issues software issues that stop cpu from going to idle. Changing the way temps get read made that even worse.destiny 2 major fix Linux major fix bios code. 3900x owners still not getting boost speeds. That’s the ones I can rember to make it another beta release:)

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Yeah. I want a 3070 asap, not interested in anything else. Picked up an PS4 Pro and an OLED TV on Black Friday so worst case I will play Cyberpunk 2077 on that if they don’t release it by April.

Once the new consoles come out, and more games are built towards having 8 powerful cores it'll be natural for the GPU tech to start catching up quicker as it was lagging because of the weaker/lower cores beforehand I feel.

Soldato
Some X570 mobo have 7 bios updates in 2 months 2 major amd code upgrades to fix bugs and to sort out boosting. Temp issues software issues that stop cpu from going to idle. Changing the way temps get read made that even worse.destiny 2 major fix Linux major fix bios code. 3900x owners still not getting boost speeds. That’s the ones I can rember to make it another beta release:)

Boosting issue fair enough, Temp problem didn't effect me so guess windows specific, Not really AMD that one. Bios updates are not all down to AMD to be fair, a lot are the manufactures improving/mobo dependant issues.
Destiny 2 No clue, Not played in a long while.

Personally, fitted board added CPU plugged RAM in attached water block then switched on. Apart from setting Mem to XMP profile that was it. I've updated the bios a total of once. :confused: Not sure how much easier AMD could have made it TBH.

Can you tell me what the difference is between Intel having to do all these updates to there arch, also causing numerous BIOS updates for their relevant boards as well as bugs that they have had. Does Intel get a free Pass then ?

Soldato
Can you tell me what the difference is between Intel having to do all these updates to there arch, also causing numerous BIOS updates for their relevant boards as well as bugs that they have had. Does Intel get a free Pass then ?
The difference is Intel is patching vulnerabilities that are discovered in existing products already out in the wild, some a decade old. Ryzen 3000 is a new product that was launched with issues, a large number of which could have been identified in the QA labs, so the Ryzen 3000 launch feels rushed and premature, despite it being 3 months "late" already (previous gens were released March/April).

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

The difference is Intel is patching vulnerabilities that are discovered in existing products already out in the wild, some a decade old. Ryzen 3000 is a new product that was launched with issues, a large number of which could have been identified in the QA labs, so the Ryzen 3000 launch feels rushed and premature, despite it being 3 months "late" already (previous gens were released March/April).

Also probably why the rumoured Zen3 chips are being released around about this time next year.

Soldato

I recall having several updates to my asus board when I first got a 4790k which was prior to all this so why does Intel get a free pass.

Ryzen 1 was definitely not ready I agree , Needed a lot more testing in a far more broader spectrum of hardware/software.

Caporegime
To be fair, Intel keeps saying they have fixed the issues at the hardware level everytime they refresh a CPU, they did it with Coffeelake and more recently with Icelake, its why the 10000 series is slightly lower IPC than the 9000 series, and yet with in days of the new 10000 series HEDT release more security bugs found with it.

Soldato
To be fair, Intel keeps saying they have fixed the issues at the hardware level everytime they refresh a CPU, they did it with Coffeelake and more recently with Icelake, its why the 10000 series is slightly lower IPC than the 9000 series, and yet with in days of the new 10000 series HEDT release more security bugs found with it.

Intel knows about bugs 6 month prior to the bugs been released to the public.

Soldato
Boosting issue fair enough, Temp problem didn't effect me so guess windows specific, Not really AMD that one. Bios updates are not all down to AMD to be fair, a lot are the manufactures improving/mobo dependant issues.
Destiny 2 No clue, Not played in a long while.

Personally, fitted board added CPU plugged RAM in attached water block then switched on. Apart from setting Mem to XMP profile that was it. I've updated the bios a total of once. :confused: Not sure how much easier AMD could have made it TBH.

If it helps I've nevered had to do any bios updates nor had any boosting or any stability issues with my 8700k.

Can you please link me to these bugs so I can fix my invisible bugs?

Soldato
If it helps I've nevered had to do any bios updates nor had any boosting or any stability issues with my 8700k.

Can you please link me to these bugs so I can fix my invisible bugs?

I didn't "have" to update either to be frank, but I bet if you look there is probably updates for your board.

Associate
Sounds outrageous but could be true seeing as Zen3 is yet another (radical?) architectural change. There are areas where AMD still have unfinished business, such as memory latency. If they can get memory latency down to Intel levels or just slightly beyond the ~60ns limit with Zen+, Intel will be slaughtered in gaming, no doubt about it. With that, the 100-200MHz extra that 7nm+ will provide and the 10-20% extra IPC over zen2, we'll be seeing levels of domination not seen since the bulldozer era.

Even Zen2 users will be dieing to upgrade with that sort of performance boost. I'm hoping 2020 will be the end of the 6 core era, and we'll finally enter the 8 core mainstream era with all high end being 16 cores and above. Realistically AMD probably will increase prices a bit since the products will be market leaders, but I at least hope for a lineup like a £200 4600 with 8C/16T at 4.4 GHz performing above a 9900KS, a £350 4700X with 12C/24T at 4.6GHz boost, a £500 4900X with 16C/32T at 4.8GHz boost, and finally a £800 4950X with 24C/48T at 4.9GHz.

I'd be happy with something like that, at least when you compare price/performance it's not a big increase at all.

Permabanned
Sounds outrageous but could be true seeing as Zen3 is yet another (radical?) architectural change. There are areas where AMD still have unfinished business, such as memory latency. If they can get memory latency down to Intel levels or just slightly beyond the ~60ns limit with Zen+, Intel will be slaughtered in gaming, no doubt about it. With that, the 100-200MHz extra that 7nm+ will provide and the 10-20% extra IPC over zen2, we'll be seeing levels of domination not seen since the bulldozer era.

Even Zen2 users will be dieing to upgrade with that sort of performance boost. I'm hoping 2020 will be the end of the 6 core era, and we'll finally enter the 8 core mainstream era with all high end being 16 cores and above. Realistically AMD probably will increase prices a bit since the products will be market leaders, but I at least hope for a lineup like a £200 4600 with 8C/16T at 4.4 GHz performing above a 9900KS, a £350 4700X with 12C/24T at 4.6GHz boost, a £500 4900X with 16C/32T at 4.8GHz boost, and finally a £800 4950X with 24C/48T at 4.9GHz.

I'd be happy with something like that, at least when you compare price/performance it's not a big increase at all.

24-core/48-thread would require 3 full chiplets, I don't believe they really need to go that far, but if they decide on for 3 chiplets, maybe they could start with 3 6-core/12-thread chiplets, or 18-core/36-thread 4980X for £800.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

In my opinion nothing will change. Each cpu will get a ipc and speed boost. 4600 will still be 6 core.

Back
Top Bottom