When are Gigabyte TRX40 boards coming?

Soldato
@GIGA-Man I have an Aorus Pro WIFI on order, which means I'm still waiting on my delivery and build while everyone who ordered Asus is already playing on their new PC. OcUK seem to have no ETA and neither do other retailers. Do you have any insights before I give up and call OcUK to change to an Asus PRIME or Strix-E Gaming instead?

I really wanted to support Gigabye for what was arguably the best X570 launch handling, best early drivers, best/fastest bug free BIOS updates, and UK RMA... But this isn't helping. Is there any ETA, preferably a close one, or should I just give up now?

ETA: N/M, I gave in and swapped to the Strix after some excellent customer service from OcUK. Thanks again for your help chaps.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, as per the thread title. ;)

seems one of two resellers that had them in stock sold out. have a feeling this will be their top seller , even with Master matching the Xtreme in design whilst saving costs

One reseller says TOMORROW STOCK lands. mmm OCUK needs to drop price a little

another one states 11th

Soldato
OP
seems one of two resellers that had them in stock sold out. have a feeling this will be their top seller , even with Master matching the Xtreme in design whilst saving costs

One reseller says TOMORROW STOCK lands

Yeah I knew it'd probably be 'Soon', but unfortunately I'd already waited almost a week. The itch was too great. The Asus is being delivered this afternoon and I can get building... TBH I wasn't ever keen on the lack of postcode display or power/reset buttons, but it wasn't a deal-breaker. Not being on the shelf with 'ETA unknown', was. :(

Soldato
Yeah I knew it'd probably be 'Soon', but unfortunately I'd already waited almost a week. The itch was too great. The Asus is being delivered this afternoon and I can get building... TBH I wasn't ever keen on the lack of postcode display or power/reset buttons, but it wasn't a deal-breaker. Not being on the shelf with 'ETA unknown', was. :(

wow, that price could have got the Master .

Price of Strix at ocuk insn't to bad over Distribution £450 with VAT - other sites really cashing in on ROG branding.

Funny how there are lots of reviews for the Master,Xtreme & zenith but hard to find the Strix and Pro :( Though Strix board should do you well :D

Soldato
OP
wow, that price could have got the Master .

Price of Strix at ocuk insn't to bad over Distribution £450 with VAT - other sites really cashing in on ROG branding.

Funny how there are lots of reviews for the Master,Xtreme & zenith but hard to find the Strix and Pro :( Though Strix board should do you well :D

I got the Strix for the price of the Pro. IR 16 phase VRM vs 12. Can't complain. :cool:

Soldato
I got the Strix for the price of the Pro. IR 16 phase VRM vs 12. Can't complain. :cool:

8 parallel vs 12 straight - both 70 amps if i recall

ASUS notably opting for teamed power stages, and GIGABYTE going all out with the XDPE132G5C true 16-phase PWM controller

Strix
product-begins.jpg

Pro
phase12.jpg

Pro

Will hunt for Strix - both should handle 32 cores overclocked easily

Strix for £395 ??? I can see £404 using trackers but wouldn't tough them for the life of god for RMA .
If you got from known resellers thats a nice steal

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I looked all week for that video from BZ... Trust him to release it the day after I cancel and switch to the Strix. :D I'll look forward to his Strix teardown. And yes, I'm sure it'll serve me amply as it's the 24 core and I don't currently plan to OC it (no need!).

Soldato
I looked all week for that video from BZ... Trust him to release it the day after I cancel and switch to the Strix. :D I'll look forward to his Strix teardown. And yes, I'm sure it'll serve me amply as it's the 24 core and I don't currently plan to OC it (no need!).

their design is better then Doublers. scroll down a little and clock on Teamed power stages. In theory- if they switched to 16 phase controller Gigabyte uses for say Zen3 - then you could run 32 phases without drawbacks of doublers !

https://www.asus.com/us/site/motherboards/amd-trx40/

Soldato
OP
their design is better then Doublers. scroll down a little and clock on Teamed power stages. In theory- if they switched to 16 phase controller Gigabyte uses for say Zen3 - then you could run 32 phases without drawbacks of doublers !

https://www.asus.com/us/site/motherboards/amd-trx40/

Still making my way through the BZ teardown of the Pro (I have a 6 month old on my lap). He's saying 16x TDA21472 @70A for the Pro and that's the exact same as the Strix as far as I can see? The actual controller(s) may differ to the stages, I dunno? Maybe I've misunderstood something (likely!) but wouldn't a doubled type design mean 8x stages?

RUEWvr5.png

Edit: Sorry I get you now (I think!). Still 16 stages/phases but only 8 controllers (teamed instead of traditionally 'doubled'), versus 12 controllers and 12 stages/phases on the Pro?

Waiting on an xtreme, the other place say they have it in stock, but I trust them about as far as I could throw their warehouse :p

No comment, but I stick with OcUK for a reason haha.

Last edited:
Soldato
Waiting on an xtreme, the other place say they have it in stock, but I trust them about as far as I could throw their warehouse :p

would personally go with the Master as same VRM set up , just lose looks and some features , but the price difference enough to move from 24 cores to 32 etc !

@Rainmaker

indeed asus's PWM Controller can only handle 8 channels . each channel is split into 2 without using a doubler . Aorus is 16 channel PWM so no need to doublers to signal splitting

cost of the 16 channel PWM controller is 400% more then 8 channel , $4-5 but when you add that to amount of boards etc , it adds to the cost. Gigabyte didnt add it to x299x range, which is a shame though - still sticking to doublers but guessing they sense Zen3 will have more cores or threads. X570 marketing material once highlighted x570 as being able to handle more then 16 cores then removed the 'PLUS'

Associate
would personally go with the Master as same VRM set up , just lose looks and some features , but the price difference enough to move from 24 cores to 32 etc !
What is pragmatic and sensible has rather diverged from what is desirable :D

Looks like the boards may be coming in, the Designare is now showing as in stock.

Back
Top Bottom