Something has failed but im not sure what

Associate
Sorry to bother people. I'm looking for help trying to figure out what's faulty in my system.

I did an upgrade this week. I got a new gfx card from here and 16 gig of ram. My computer was working fine untill i did that. Since then i'm getting loads of weird buggy issues and i'm certain either my cpus memory handler has gave up the ghost or my motherboard has failed on me.

For a start when i installed the new graphics card, the computer failed to post on the first attempt then reset itself. It worked on the second attempt. I tried to install drivers and it lost signal for 5mns then the computer reset itself.

I'm getting various different hangs and lagg issues. For example i can load firefox but it takes 5mns to load it up and get it usable. Internet explorer pops up, laggs for 3mns then shuts down. The game destiny 2 keeps kicking me due to lagg. Just loading a program or app, like cpu-z for example, it hangs and laggs for 3mns before it will load.

I thought it might be the new memory i bought. I did a memory test of the new ram just to be certain but it passed. So i tried to swap back to my old ram. Except i cant. The computer wont post with both of my older ram strips in. It can post with one strip in but not the 2 of them. I actually whent through this whole carry on where my computer wouldnt post and it took a lot of messing around with the different types of ram to get it running again.

To add to this, my mother board and cpu are old. An msi z77a-g45 board and an i5 ivybridge 3570k ovclocked to 4.3ghz.

Soldato
Few questions:

Did you uninstall the old graphics drivers before installing the new GPU?

Did you reset BIOS to default before adding the new RAM?

Which GPU is it and if it requires PCIe power connectors from the PSU try unplugging them and pushing them back in making sure they are snug.

Sometimes old systems don't like change. Which PSU is it?

Associate
OP
Hiya. To answer your questions in order.

Yes i uninstalled the old graphics drivers before installing the card. I had a job trying to get the drivers to take to it. It kept black screening then rebooting on me.

I didn't reset the full bios. I did however reset the ram settings to auto. I've since cleared the cmos and thats the reason why im able to use it atm.

The gpu is a msi rtx 2060 ventus xs oc edition. Ill try resetting the connectors but that's not my main problem. My problem is with mobo/cpu/memory atm

The psu is an old pc power and cooling silencer 1050w power supply.

I'm going to try my older ram again. This time ill clear the cmos first before putting it in. If i can just get my system back to the way it was before, it will be stable enough to use for now but i'm looking atm at new cpu's, motherboards and ram because i've a feeling im going to have to replace them at some point.

Edit: Just to add, i've gotten my old memory back in and up and running. I had to put it in slots 2 & 4. Slots 1 & 3 it wont post under. I've also managed to get the xmp profile up and running with it. The whole system seams more stable now that i have. The lagg appears to be gone. I'll just wait and see. The downside with this is if it's stable like this then i'm stuck with 8 gig of ram instead of the 16 gig i was trying to run.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes i uninstalled the old graphics drivers before installing the card. I had a job trying to get the drivers to take to it. It kept black screening then rebooting on me.

When you installed the new GPU, was that with the new RAM already in place, or with the old RAM?

Associate
OP
It was with the old ram in place. I did the card first, then the ram once i had it setup.

And this still isn't working, even with the old ram. My system is still unstable. I had to reboot several times just to get working internet. It was showing as connected and internet available but nothing was getting internet. Also steam hung then failed to load. I got an error message on about not being able to create threads. Also internet explorer is hanging for a few minutes then failing every time i try to run it. I'm having to use firefox atm but its hanging for ages before loading anything.
Whatever is wrong, it's degrading fast. This system has got consistantly worse over the past 24 hours.

Soldato
Could be interesting that there were some issues even with the old RAM in place, when you installed the card. Graphics driver issues can cause what you are experiencing, massive lag in otherwise simple tasks.

Maybe bits of the old drivers got left in there and are causing havoc.

Did you already use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) when uninstalling the old drivers? If not, maybe give that a go.

Can you try your old GPU to see what happens?

Associate
OP
I'll try it with the old card tomorrow. It was 2 of them but ill just use 1 for testing purposes. At this point im willing to try anything. And no i didn't use ddu. I just uninstalled the old drivers using windows app settings.

Just to add. I tested both sets the memory using memtest and i tested the cpu using ipdt. Everything is coming back as ok. I cant find any faults with them.

Edit: Just to add, even doing ctr-alt-delete causes it to lag. I waited again 3mns for it to respond and a further 2 mns for it to load task manager

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've identified whats wrong with my system. My mother board is faulty. I tried swapping over gfx cards back to the old one but the primary pci express slot has gone on me. It will no longer see any of my 3 gfx cards. However the secondary 8x one works just fine. I've tried all 3 cards in it and they all work fine. Also most of the glitchiness and hanging has gone. Also on the board, a dual usb connector has failed. Also some times my board refuses to post and i have to clear the cmos to get it back. My motherboard is screwed. I've been able to locate the same board brand new online so i'm going to order it on friday.

Back
Top Bottom