Mattresses - I need knowledge

Soldato
He sounds like that in all his reviews.

Reviews keep saying Memory Foam is best for side sleepers but i'm not interested in the sensation of soft Mud.

Associate
I've just bought a SIMBA refurb super king for £184 from the bay for my new house I am moving in to. Figured at that price if its bad after a year it wouldn't be the worst thing to replace, its just the hassle

Caporegime
I bought this (https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8262730) from Argos last weekend for £109 and had it delivered same day. After a week of use I find it comfy enough for my needs. Paying £500+ or even thousands for some trendy mattress is just absurd in my eyes.

Mattresses are one of the few places I honestly believe that spending more is worth it, you are always going to sleep, you will always need a mattress, quality of sleep is super important, especially as we get older and things like muscular or skeletal issues start to become problematic.

I'd sooner have a modest computer/tv/phone and a better mattress.

Caporegime
I bought this (https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8262730) from Argos last weekend for £109 and had it delivered same day. After a week of use I find it comfy enough for my needs. Paying £500+ or even thousands for some trendy mattress is just absurd in my eyes.

You get what you pay for. But money =/= quality either however if you don't spend nay money then you can be assured it will be poor quality.

I'm not a fan of trendy mattresses either. However I also believe a good pocket spring well made cannot be beaten in terms of support, comfort and durability.

It's much like a cheap couch. yeah you can buy a nabru or one from ikea for cheap but they don't last and they look naff. A decent one should last a while however as it's foam / soft material in the cushions they will all degrade and the cushions will need replacing. that is the problem with foam. springs (decent ones) last longer and pocket springs are much better made.

After all car suspensions are still using springs for the majority of them.

Soldato

Its great if that is comfy for you, but I have had the super cheap mattresses in the past and you end up feeling the springs through the thin layer of polyester wadding in no time. Also end up with the springs compressing in the middle, which forms a dip in the mattress, so you sink into one spot all the time. I'm not even a fatty at 12-13 stone. Definitely not for me any more, id rather spend £500 and get a turnable pocket sprung mattress that will be half decent.

I do think there is a point of diminishing returns with things like using fancy fillings like silk and calico spring casings instead of polyester or whatever. Especially when people then plonk a thick mattress topper over the expensive silk filled mattress.

Soldato
Its great if that is comfy for you, but I have had the super cheap mattresses in the past and you end up feeling the springs through the thin layer of polyester wadding in no time. Also end up with the springs compressing in the middle, which forms a dip in the mattress, so you sink into one spot all the time. I'm not even a fatty at 12-13 stone. Definitely not for me any more, id rather spend £500 and get a turnable pocket sprung mattress that will be half decent.

I do think there is a point of diminishing returns with things like using fancy fillings like silk and calico spring casings instead of polyester or whatever. Especially when people then plonk a thick mattress topper over the expensive silk filled mattress.

My last mattress was similar price bought 7 years ago and only recently did it start wearing out. 7 years usage out of a £100 mattress is good going.

Soldato
No not really.

They come vac packed when they are rolled up, soon as you cut the plastic they spring to life pardon the pun.

That's surprising , you must be a lightweight :)

They have to remove the edge support for sprung mattresses so they can roll and vac pack them and one of the constant complaints you see in reviews is the feeling of rolling out of bed when you get near the edge or it collapsing when you sit on the side.

There are user review pics on Amazon of people buying rolled sprung mattresses and being able to squeeze flat the outer edge of the mattress single handed.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm looking for a new bed, and my preference is a super king size pocket spring mattress with natural fibres. I looked at John Ryan and the Artisan cost is coming to £2800 :eek: Is there anything else out there that might be worth looking at, or is JR really that good? I was hoping to pay less than half that.

I'd look at water beds. We have both; a King Size John Ryan and a Super King (which is two separate mattresses underneath) water bed. We had the John Ryan for 2 years before getting the water bed and it was sublime. Best money ever spent. Now it's in the guest room as we got the water bed and the water bed is even better.
With water beds you get:
The best weight distribution you can get.
Heated. (costs us £1.50 a month for 24/7 plus contributes to the heating anyway)
Adjustability; you can remove/add water at a later stage if you feel you need it a bit more or less "hard".
Washable top.
Performance will never deteriorate. (it's water after all)
You can also get massage modules, although we don't have those. (thought it might be a bit overkill)

We got ours including frame, headboard, dual mattresses with dual heating controls and installation for £1,100. That was for one of the expensive 'Motionless' ones, as we aren't too keen on 'floating' around.

Man of Honour
In case anyone is looking at Emma mattresses. I've had mine just over 2 months now and I was a bit unsure at first, just because of how different it was to my spring mattress. But now I love it, sleep so much better and the support has helped massively with my sleeping position as it moulds around me without me sinking in to it, and I just stay put all night, rather than tossing and turning all night.

If you sleep right at the edge thanks to a bed hogging partner, then it can be a bit annoying as it's so much softer, but you do have to really be at the edge for that to be a problem.

Soldato
In case anyone is looking at Emma mattresses. I've had mine just over 2 months now and I was a bit unsure at first, just because of how different it was to my spring mattress. But now I love it, sleep so much better and the support has helped massively with my sleeping position as it moulds around me without me sinking in to it, and I just stay put all night, rather than tossing and turning all night.

If you sleep right at the edge thanks to a bed hogging partner, then it can be a bit annoying as it's so much softer, but you do have to really be at the edge for that to be a problem.
I've had mine a similar period of time and am similarly impressed, albeit still slightly wary of whether it will collapse over time

Soldato

Hi

I would like to get the Emma mattress, they have a 45% off offer until the new year I believe, so I might take a chance and order without trying. Was originally looking at the Simba but I think they are quite similar.

Did you order direct from the Emma website or elsewhere?

Back
Top Bottom