*** The Official Boxing Thread ***Do Not Discuss Illegal Streams

Soldato
At what point does it become unfair the difference in physic. Say a 9 foot athletic person came along and dominated boxing. Is it not unfair that Joshua is able to dance around, block and jab and win on points. Ruiz can't do this, he can only try to slug it out toe to toe.

So what's the message here it's pretty much I'm better than you because I as born that way.

Let's see Joshua vs Fury.
Biggest puncher in the division comes in barely over entry weight. Stick 5'10" prime Tyson in with AJ and see if he manages to stick and moves without getting hit for 12 rounds.

Once you're over 200lbs, there are positives and negatives to more height, reach, weight. Ruiz would have been right in the match if he'd not come in so overweight (I'm talking the gains from fight 1 more than his general bulky appearance, which isn't the big deal you might think it is)

Soldato
Been thinking about this fight over night. I'm AJ fan but I think he's a coward after this fight.

He got knocked down in the last fight. To win this fight properly, knock Ruiz down. So instead he running around and jab jab to get points. I feel he cheated.
He cheated by boxing better?

Soldato
Having watched the Ruiz post fight interview I kinda dont want to believe this, but I think they did nothing in preparation at all? Ruiz ate all the pies, did a short training camp thinking they will could clip him again and breeze it. I dont think they took it serious at all.

What a joker. I had a lot of time for Ruiz hes very likeable but hes also a fool

Soldato
It's not cheating but it's not very impressive. I felt it was embarrassing the way he ran from the most out of shape heavyweight world champion I've ever seen.

So he should've went toe to toe and tried to slug it out? That didn't go so well first time round... How would you have handled Ruiz then?

Soldato
It was the only safe way to beat Ruiz, the priority was getting the belts back, looking good in the process was secondary. It was never going to please everyone, it's not what we are used to when watching AJ.

In future fights when he doesn't fear the opponents power as much eg. Fury, he needs to put some weight back on because he will need to rely on his power more if that fight were to happen. He has shown he can adapt though and he simply adds this style to his arsenal, it makes him a better all rounded fighter.

Now Fury to beat Wilder and we have a mega showdown at Wembley in summer 2020.

Soldato
So he should've went toe to toe and tried to slug it out? That didn't go so well first time round... How would you have handled Ruiz then?

Knock them out before they knock you out! It was a boring fight, the guy was fat and out of shape. He looked like a competition winner who won a chance to spar with a pro.

I remember the great fights Benn or Hatton had, real warriors who didn't run away.

Soldato
Knock them out before they knock you out! It was a boring fight, the guy was fat and out of shape. He looked like a competition winner who won a chance to spar with a pro.

I remember the great fights Benn or Hatton had, real warriors who didn't run away.

Sorry but that's a poor comparison. There's a vast difference in punching power between a heavyweight and a welterweight (or middleweight in Benn's case). You can dominate a heavyweight fight for 11 rounds and then get caught by one big shot that KOs you. For example, Fury mostly bossed Wilder and then got caught by that massive shot that he probably didn't have any right to get up from. Ruiz might have been out of shape but he's still got good hands and can land a heavy punch, particularly short hooks.

You might not like it but Joshua fought the smart fight. He's got much longer reach and is a technically superior boxer to Ruiz, so he played to those strengths by keeping Ruiz at distance and landing shots behind his jab. He did the same thing in his fights against Whyte, who is a dangerous boxer at close range like Ruiz. Boxing isn't just about knocking someone out, if it was there wouldn't be judges or a scoring system and we'd just let the two boxers fight until one of them was KO'd.

Soldato
Yeah Ruiz needs to control hes eating and turnup at camp on the right day and not weeks later , but hey maybe him winning the first fight was just like Buster Douglas and Mike Tyson,

But also AJ did what he had to do which was to win :)

Soldato

Hatton the guy that got schooled by the biggest ‘cheat’ in boxing history Mayweather, the aim of boxing is to hit and get hit. Aj did this well last night. Don’t get me wrong I loved the scraps that Hatton,Benn, GGG etc have/had but to say he cheated because he boxed a safe fight is quite harsh.

Associate

Do you also feel Mayweather Jr cheated in 23 of his 50 wins?

Soldato
Sorry but that's a poor comparison. There's a vast difference in punching power between a heavyweight and a welterweight (or middleweight in Benn's case). You can dominate a heavyweight fight for 11 rounds and then get caught by one big shot that KOs you. For example, Fury mostly bossed Wilder and then got caught by that massive shot that he probably didn't have any right to get up from. Ruiz might have been out of shape but he's still got good hands and can land a heavy punch, particularly short hooks.

You might not like it but Joshua fought the smart fight. He's got much longer reach and is a technically superior boxer to Ruiz, so he played to those strengths by keeping Ruiz at distance and landing shots behind his jab. He did the same thing in his fights against Whyte, who is a dangerous boxer at close range like Ruiz. Boxing isn't just about knocking someone out, if it was there wouldn't be judges or a scoring system and we'd just let the two boxers fight until one of them was KO'd.

It's hilarious that you mention a lack of punching power in the lower weight divisions and Benn in the same sentence. All he did was throw bombs, with hate, he wanted to knock the other guys head off with every punch. AJ got knocked down so many times in the last fight, he should have been out for revenge. Imo

Hatton the guy that got schooled by the biggest ‘cheat’ in boxing history Mayweather, the aim of boxing is to hit and get hit. Aj did this well last night. Don’t get me wrong I loved the scraps that Hatton,Benn, GGG etc have/had but to say he cheated because he boxed a safe fight is quite harsh.

You must be blind, I said it's not cheating... Its just not that great against such an unfit boxer like Ruiz. People are going on like they've witnessed another Ali vs Foreman type fight, when it was just a guy auditioning for Strickly Come Dancing against an unfit Mexican.

Soldato
It was the only safe way to beat Ruiz, the priority was getting the belts back, looking good in the process was secondary. It was never going to please everyone, it's not what we are used to when watching AJ.

In future fights when he doesn't fear the opponents power as much eg. Fury, he needs to put some weight back on because he will need to rely on his power more if that fight were to happen. He has shown he can adapt though and he simply adds this style to his arsenal, it makes him a better all rounded fighter.

Now Fury to beat Wilder and we have a mega showdown at Wembley in summer 2020.

The WBO have ordered Joshua to fight Usyk by June.

Fury has a 100 million dollars to cash in before fighting Joshua. Maybe we’ll see Joshua vs Fury in 2022 though I’m not sure Fury will stick around that long.

Associate
Another one who cant read...

And Mayweather never fought anyone as out of shape as Ruiz.

Looks like I quoted the wrong chap :D, I think Wesley will be sitting chuckling to himself.

I do however disagree with your assessment. Joshua stuck to his gameplan and didn't need to go for the knockout. Ruiz never stood a chance of catching Joshua last night however if he got drawn into a brawl again anything could have happened. Ruiz still had quick hands, it was his footwork that let him down.

Back
Top Bottom