*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Interested to know this also. The alien is a suspiciously marketed... it's listed as a tri-band router in places but from the spec it sounds like the wifi5 and wifi6 5Ghz bands are actually connected to a dual band antenna array? So it's actually dual band?

Ubiquitis website shows a dedicated chip for WiFi 5 / 5ghz and a dedicated chip for WiFi 6 2.4 and 5

Soldato
I’ve got a couple of the ac lite AP’s which works great.
However think my plusnet router is playing up and not assigning ip addresses anymore :mad:

what’s a good replacement router, don’t need WiFi obviously, and needs to work for fibre connection.

Soldato
Unless I’m mistaken that’s quite expensive?

looking to spend as little as possible as it will just be for dhcp and stable as possible.

reading up on it now and some ppl suggest pi hole ??

Soldato
Unless I’m mistaken that’s quite expensive?

looking to spend as little as possible as it will just be for dhcp and stable as possible.

reading up on it now and some ppl suggest pi hole ??
Pihole isn't a router, just a dns based ad blocker.

Edgerouter isn't bad if you don't mind some options binding behind cli

Soldato
Sorry wasn't being very clear, my mistake.

I meant to say, I could keep my plusnet router for now and just disable DNS/DHCP options. I have already disabled WIFI on it and using the Unifi APs.

So I just need 'something' which is low powered and easy to assign DHCP addresses.

Unless any other suggestions ? Cheap as possible though please :p

Man of Honour
4.0.69 switch firmware has been recalled due to a DHCP issue. Those on the latest controller software will be offered a downgrade. I'm not having any issues so I may just leave it.

https://community.ui.com/questions/...0#answer/7135f739-6d53-4f5d-b66f-611960cd58b8

There was a regression in 4.0.67 until 4.0.73 which would block DHCP traffic over the 6th LAG interface. That was fixed in 4.0.73, but there are stability problems related to DHCP snooping in 4.0.73 which might spontaneously reboot switches. While that's being identified and resolved, the last safe stable version for all use cases is 4.0.66.

If you're on a newer version than that and not having any problems, then there's no need to downgrade.

Soldato
Got lucky at work today, they decided to throw away 2x Unifi Switch 8 150w.... Needless to say i took them home. Is it normal for these to have a badly faded blue LED?

zwfjx96.jpg.png

Soldato
Got lucky at work today, they decided to throw away 2x Unifi Switch 8 150w.... Needless to say i took them home. Is it normal for these to have a badly faded blue LED?
wouldnt be the first time ive heard of people complaining of unifi kit and faded led to be honest

Soldato
When the LED is displaying white it’s as bright as you might expect but when it’s Blue it’s pretty dull. Other than that though the Switches work perfectly.

Associate
The blue LEDs on my various 2 to 3 year old kit are definitely a lot dimmer and colour is off compared to more recent purchases in the last year. Not surprising for an LED (especially blue) if left on 24 x 7.

Soldato
The blue LEDs on my various 2 to 3 year old kit are definitely a lot dimmer and colour is off compared to more recent purchases in the last year. Not surprising for an LED (especially blue) if left on 24 x 7.
Yeah these are at least 2 years old and as you said they have been on 24/7 as far as i know. And yes i've read before that Blue LED age faster than any other colour. I should probably switch the LED off and save it's life for when it's needed.

Last edited:
Soldato
So my AC Pro seems to have died. No WiFi, no lights on the access point.
Light on the injector lit up fine, tried different cable nothing.
Luckily for it from somewhere that instantly have me a refund and sent me a shipping label.

Nearly 2 years old so good service. Disappointed in this so called pro equipment.

Back
Top Bottom