Best value all singing all dancing PSU: Antec HCP, Straight Power, Rmx?

Associate
Hey all!

Making a new build and looking to get THE best 750w/850w psu money can buy for overclocks/system stability I've had a few BSODs).
But, I don't wanna wax £100 if there's no improvement over say, a £60 one.
-Not fussed about power bills, noise, digital interactions or looks - Just want raw performance.
-PSU calc recomends: 832w with 3900x (757w with 3600)

Tier rankings:
https://www.gamingscan.com/psu-hierarchy/
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40/
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1045610-old-new-psu-tier-list/

I've checked out the rankings above and narrowed down a search to...
£70/£90-750w/850w Be Quiet! Straight Power 11 *gold (tier -2/1/2)
£90 -Evga p2 750w *platinum*
£93 -Corsair rm850x *gold (tier-2/2/3)
£113 -Seasonic Prime gx750 *gold
£119 -Antec HCP-850 High Current Platinum (tier-1/1/1)
£121 -Corsair hx750i *plat
£128 -Corsair hx850i *plat

The Antec is the only one to be in all of the top tiers in the tier lists, but is it worth the extra £30 over the 850w Straight Power 11?
I didn't even know Antec were still about, and most of the reviews I read are from like 2013! Are they old units i'm looking at (here in China)?

Current rig...
ryzen 3600: OC'd (later to be something like a 4900x)
Asus rtx2080 super dual: Heavily OC'd
Asus x570-p Prime
2x16gb ddr4 3200 @ 1.5v
rm650x
2xKraken x61 (9 ttl fans: 6x14, 1x12, 2x9)

Cheers in advance guys!

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd say that build isn't going to use more than 500w at stock tops. OC probably another 100w. I'd say if your Corsair RM650x is the latest one (there's 2 or 3 versions of that PSU AFAIK) then it may well be up to the task (But don't quote me on that ;) ). Yeah & Antec is still very much alive (Their rep used to work for OCUK & he posts on here from time to time)

Associate
OP
Someone on another thread has also just mentioned superflower as a great brand as well.

I know nothing about them, but I can get the superflower leadex p850w here for a little more than the antec hcp (£127). Both platinum rated units.

Should i consider that? How is their warranty/customer service?

Associate
OP
I'd say that build isn't going to use more than 500w at stock tops. OC probably another 100w. I'd say if your Corsair RM650x is the latest one (there's 2 or 3 versions of that PSU AFAIK) then it may well be up to the task (But don't quote me on that ;) ). Yeah & Antec is still very much alive (Their rep used to work for OCUK & he posts on here from time to time)
So you think i should just keep the rm650x? Mine is about 5 years old now if that helps.

I'm having bsods (only one or two a week) with my new build and trying to cancel out parts that could be an issue.
One maybe the psu not managing the now much higher power draw. My first 2080 rtx didn't work at all... Had to send it back. The guy tested it though and said it was fine.

Soldato
Someone on another thread has also just mentioned superflower as a great brand as well.

I know nothing about them, but I can get the superflower leadex p850w here for a little more than the antec hcp (£127). Both platinum rated units.

Should i consider that? How is their warranty/customer service?

I've had a few Superflower units and they've been solid.. Have a look at the seasonic for £90ish... Another great product and comes with 12 year warranty :eek::eek:

Associate
OP
I've had a few Superflower units and they've been solid.. Have a look at the seasonic for £90ish... Another great product and comes with 12 year warranty :eek::eek:
Theres a Seasonic in list above, one of the cheapest Primes I can get (been told to avoid the focus series). But for an extra £5 I get +100w and platinum cert with the Antec... But yeah, whopping 12 years on the prime... Meanwhile the Superflower only has 5yr warranty... :I

Soldato
So you think i should just keep the rm650x? Mine is about 5 years old now if that helps.

I think that is a 1st Generation RM650x. The latest ones are much better. I've bought a couple of Antec psu's in the past, the last one I bought didn't like the rig I had at the time so I sold it on. EVGA/Superflower are in both my rigs right now & they are solid enough. You need to register the 10 year Warranty with EVGA though, its easy enough to do.

Associate
OP
I think that is a 1st Generation RM650x. The latest ones are much better. I've bought a couple of Antec psu's in the past, the last one I bought didn't like the rig I had at the time so I sold it on. EVGA/Superflower are in both my rigs right now & they are solid enough. You need to register the 10 year Warranty with EVGA though, its easy enough to do.

Registering it would mean I could buy in China, and take back to uk you rekkon?

So given the below, what you choose (for best system/oc stability)?

For under £100 that EVGA is looking really good to me now. Thanks for info guys, going to buy tonight.

£70/£90 -750w/850w BQuiet Straight Pow 11 (tier-2/1/2)
£93 -Corsair rm850x (tier-2/2/3)
£99 -Evga p2 850w *platinum* (tier-2/2/3)
£113 -Seasonic Prime gx750 *gold
£119 -Antec HCP-850 High Current Plat (tier-1/1/1)
£121 -Corsair hx750i *plat
£128 -Corsair hx850i *plat
£129 -Superflower Leadex p850w plat

Soldato
Registering it would mean I could buy in China, and take back to uk you rekkon?

I think the 10 year warranty only stands if you buy & it stays in the country of purchase. Best thing to do is Contact EVGA support. I've registered the 10 year warranty for my 550G2 way back in 2015 or 2016 when I bought it, if I remember correctly you need to setup an account with EVGA in order to register the warranty.

Associate
OP
Realistically though, will a PSU last you 10-12 years? Chances are in 5-6 you'll be looking for a replacement. Saying that, my hx850+ is probably 6 years old now and still going.

Will keep for 20 years If it's descent enough :D

Only reason i'm changing mine now is because I know it won't quite have enough juice for future plans and am having issues with my new rig and psu is the only part that's not new.

Man of Honour
If you want the best I still swear by Seasonic. Nothing wrong with most of those PSUs but a good few are rebadged generic design with a few uprated components versus Seasonic are usually a ground up good design.

Associate
OP
If you want the best I still swear by Seasonic. Nothing wrong with most of those PSUs but a good few are rebadged generic design with a few uprated components versus Seasonic are usually a ground up good design.

Went with an EVGA platinum p2 850w in the end.

I read (as you've mentioned), it's a re-badged unit indeed: A re-badged Superflower leadex. Only with a longer warranty. I read JohnyGurus review, and that guy says it's got some of the best results (including crazy good ripple, which i'm most interested in) of any psu he's ever tested, including the Seasonics and Antecs. Totally sold me on it.

Soldato
EVGA are one of the few companies to have global warranty on some/all of their products.

I've had an NZXT re-branded SuperFlower in my system for 6.5 years and it's been solid.

Back
Top Bottom