Nest Thermostat pro installation???

Soldato
Thinking about grabbing one of these today but on the Nest Website I can't find any info on how much an installation is going to cost. Seems to be a dead link for me!

Any ideas how much I'm looking at to get it fitted as the £120 quoted on Amazon seems a bit steep.

Soldato
OP
So I've just removed the face plate from my thermostat in the hall to check the wires and.... it doesn't have any. Its a wireless Honeywell HCW80 and now I'm stumped as I've no idea how its connected to my boiler.

Soldato
OP
Yeah found it, had no idea what it was at all...

Pic of wiring, any ideas what I'm looking at. Am having a nose of the compatibility checker and don't know what wire is which. Forgive the state of the tiles, they need replacing and as it's right next to the cooker it's gotten grease under the rim

20191129-180427.jpg

Soldato
OP
So my thermostat didn't come with any power cable! What happened to Google not being evil?

Can't seem to find a power cable/charger to buy on the rain Forrest... What am I looking for guys?

Soldato
I installed a Nest thermostat in about 10 minutes. I've never installed a thermostat before. It was really easy and straight forward.

Soldato
At the risk of hijacking!

I installed a thermostat for my mother in law yesterday. All went well, and the heat link found the Thermostat easy enough. I set her up a log in and left.

Then i got a message last night to say all the radiators were still on around midnight (Schedule is set to manual and due to go off around 10pm). Looking at the app, everything seems to be set up fine so i'm at a bit of a loss.

When disconnecting the old thermostat from the boiler, there were 4 wires. The L/N and then 2 wires connected to "A" and "B" on the old thermostat. I assumed these would be connected to the OT1 and OT2 on the heat link. However i'm now wondering if it is down to the wires. I've not checked where the wires connect to the boiler. Was hoping it'd be as straight forward as i'd expected.

Pic of old Thermostat wiring

mfHgN3g.png

EDIT - doing some reading. Seems I need to connect the “A” wire to “2” on the Nest and “B” to “3” and not the opentherm connections!

Last edited:
Associate
A is common and goes to 2 on the heatlink.
B is NO and goes to 3 on the heatlink.

You have connected to the OpenTherm terminals on the heatlink. If your boiler supports OT, then it will have separate connections for using that protocol. You're very lucky you didn't inadvertantly supply 230V to the OT terminals, as you probably would have damaged the heatlink. Many BDR91's are wired so that 230V is supplied to A (the common terminal) or many boilers supply 230V to the common wire (grey in your picture).

Caporegime
Thinking about grabbing one of these today but on the Nest Website I can't find any info on how much an installation is going to cost. Seems to be a dead link for me!

Any ideas how much I'm looking at to get it fitted as the £120 quoted on Amazon seems a bit steep.

£120 is cheap. I went third party and paid £150.

I had a cowboy in to do it first. He installed it in the wrong location and it only half worked. He never got paid.

The second guy installed it in the right place did a perfect job and did it in 1/3rd of the time and it was a clean install as you cannot see where the old panel has been removed near the boiler, etc.

Associate
Is there a way of knowing if I’ve damaged the Heat Link. Or does the fact it’s connected to the thermostat mean it should still be safe?

Least I know what to switch around now!

It should be fine. I think you'd have known if it had blown - probably would have made a bang and stopped working.

Back
Top Bottom