• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 5 3500X / 3900 (non-x) ???

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Look at the gaming performance.. no faster and in most games slower.. and double the price. Your right 3600 all the way

Purely in a gaming sense.. For everything else 3600 stomps. Nobody cares about single threaded chips anymore, which is why they're barely sold

Soldato
Purely in a gaming sense.. For everything else 3600 stomps. Nobody cares about single threaded chips anymore, which is why they're barely sold

Sounding like a novice here.

A 3500X offer massive value vs. any other CPU at this price point, and SMT doesn't offer 100% more performance vs the cores it is attached to. Why do you think the i7 9700K is so popular vs the 9900K? SMT/HT isn't work £xxx pounds for most folk. And when you are at the lower end of the market where every £ counts, then SMT is way less valuable than other options that could be upgraded.

SMT is a nice to have if it is being offered with no cost, or a small cost added not double the cost.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Sounding like a novice here.

A 3500X offer massive value vs. any other CPU at this price point, and SMT doesn't offer 100% more performance vs the cores it is attached to. Why do you think the i7 9700K is so popular vs the 9900K? SMT/HT isn't work £xxx pounds for most folk. And when you are at the lower end of the market where every £ counts, then SMT is way less valuable than other options that could be upgraded.

SMT is a nice to have if it is being offered with no cost, or a small cost added not double the cost.

I see what you're saying, but I'm talking about everyday use not just gaming.. In which case SMT is massively helpful. Obviously not as simple as "double threads = double performance" but the jump is big enough.

The main reason to get one would be the price as its good value I admit, but then again so would a 4 core processor be? Point is its not really enough in todays day

Soldato
I see what you're saying, but I'm talking about everyday use not just gaming.. In which case SMT is massively helpful. Obviously not as simple as "double threads = double performance" but the jump is big enough.

The main reason to get one would be the price as its good value I admit, but then again so would a 4 core processor be? Point is its not really enough in todays day

I wasn't talking at all about gaming, from my point-of-view that its the least important activity, yet the most argued about.

Why would you buy a 4 core processor? When one with 50% more cores cost the same?

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I wasn't talking at all about gaming, from my point-of-view that its the least important activity, yet the most argued about.

Why would you buy a 4 core processor? When one with 50% more cores cost the same?

4 cores would cost less...

Associate
OP
I could bring some in but we were an AMD partner they’d not want us selling it. :(

I guess it would only really makes sense if the price would be considerably lower than the 3600 price.

As we can always buy the 3600 and just manually disable SMT in the BIOS to achieve the same FPS 1% low result within an select game that prefers SMT to be off.

But like you said, probably not worth upsetting the AMD rep. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
For those who want to buy into Ryzen but are on a budget, I'd say the 3500X at £90-100 is ridiculously good value for money. While I do believe games will start using more threads going forward, there's nothing from stopping people buying a 3500X now from upgrading to a 4000 series chip at some point in the future. It's a cheap and powerful way for gamers on a budget to remain up to date for current and many future titles, when the new consoles launch we may start seeing changes, but as mentioned that'll be a great time to buy a nice 4700X or something.

Associate
The 3500x is £100 with shipping costs (providing customs dont sting you)

The 3600 can be had for £142 again if customs dont sting you

Is it worth it?

I'm also curious - has anyone bought a 3500x from China and, if so, what were custom's fees, if any, and are you satisfied with the buy?

Back
Top Bottom