• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 5700 XT Owners Thread.

Soldato
86GB :)

Thing is i have to lock to 60fps as my other 2 monitors are 60Hz, if i dont sync them up i get stuttering in the game or in OBS or both.

As for this card at 1080p, not sure why wanting more fps is a wrong decision, i know a streamer that has a 2080ti (he had 2 at one point) for a 1080p 144Hz display.

A 2060 will happily run 1080p max settings. Or a 5500 would be better. But I run way over 140fps on most of my games on 1440p too. Being a few like assasins Creed or red dead 2 but there insanely cpu limited

Associate
When frame capping or using Vsync, these low clocks is like having Chill enabled, but i dont have it enabled. Are AMD gona fix this or am i gona have to send this card back?

I just ran DayZ totally maxed out at 1080p with a 60fps cap and its nowhere near the 2000Mhz+ i see if i dont cap.

Also GTA V has been telling me i have reached the GPU's VRAM limit when i go into the settings tab.. wtf :mad:

Starting to wish i had just gone to the evil green side with a 2070s on the black friday sales.

This is crazy.

If only i could say the same thing about the 5700XT like i do about the absolute beast of a CPU i bought called the Ryzen 3900X.

Associate
Quick update on my problems with game crashing and BSOD with a Pulse 5700XT.

Turns out that I was using a faulty surge protection socket between the mains wall socket and PSU.

I vaguely remember buying the surge protection 15/20 years ago and it was the cheapest I could find.

Associate
Went ahead and bought the Sapphire 5700 XT Nitro+ to drop into my Razer Core X. This will be used to play games in Boot camp on my Mac mini and also boost performance in macOS in general.
OcUK just dropped the price to £428.99 which is good.
Does anyone know you can sell the game bundle? Presumably to someone with a qualifying card?
LiE, how did you get on with this? Did you end up swapping out the Nitro+ for a Red Dragon in the end?
Does BootCamp work well with it? Any issues in either macOS or Windows gaming? Are noise levels good, does 0 dB mode do the trick when in macOS?

Hoping an XT Red Dragon would work well with the Mac mini 2018 over a Sonnet eGFX eGPU but it would be great to get your feedback/advice.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
LiE, how did you get on with this? Did you end up swapping out the Nitro+ for a Red Dragon in the end?
Does BootCamp work well with it? Any issues in either macOS or Windows gaming? Are noise levels good, does 0 dB mode do the trick when in macOS?

Hoping an XT Red Dragon would work well with the Mac mini 2018 over a Sonnet eGFX eGPU but it would be great to get your feedback/advice.

On reflection I didn't really need an eGPU, so I asked OcUK for a refund which they provided.

The setup itself is very good, in macOS and bootcamp it worked as you'd expect. No noise due to the 0RPM mode when in macOS. The issue is the eGPU enclosures are damn noisy and needed some modifications. I ended up swapping the PSU in the Razer Core X for a Corsair SF750 which has 0RPM mode, and also swapping the eGPU fan for a Noctua fan. It's frustrating this needs to happen but it's the only real way to get it quiet. That is unless you get coil whine in which case that will drive you nuts.

Associate
On reflection I didn't really need an eGPU, so I asked OcUK for a refund which they provided.

The setup itself is very good, in macOS and bootcamp it worked as you'd expect. No noise due to the 0RPM mode when in macOS. The issue is the eGPU enclosures are damn noisy and needed some modifications. I ended up swapping the PSU in the Razer Core X for a Corsair SF750 which has 0RPM mode, and also swapping the eGPU fan for a Noctua fan. It's frustrating this needs to happen but it's the only real way to get it quiet. That is unless you get coil whine in which case that will drive you nuts.
Thanks for the update. The Razer Core X while looking great is apparently very noisy (and large). I ended up getting a Sonnet eGFX 350W, which should just about manage the Red Dragon XT despite it not being in their compatibility list. The Sonnet is really very quiet. Should the PSU struggle I will do the same as you did and get an SF600 Platinum with 0 dB mode.
If I can end up with a quiet eGPU durning everyday tasks in both macOS and Windows I will be very happy. I really don't care how loud the card gets when gaming.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Thanks for the update. The Razer Core X while looking great is apparently very noisy (and large). I ended up getting a Sonnet eGFX 350W, which should just about manage the Red Dragon XT despite it not being in their compatibility list. The Sonnet is really very quiet. Should the PSU struggle I will do the same as you did and get an SF600 Platinum with 0 dB mode.
If I can end up with a quiet eGPU durning everyday tasks in both macOS and Windows I will be very happy. I really don't care how loud the card gets when gaming.

You'll be able to achieve a quiet setup in macOS and Windows no issues, as you have options for replacing components.

The coil whine will be the biggest obstacle if you come up against it.

Associate
You'll be able to achieve a quiet setup in macOS and Windows no issues, as you have options for replacing components.

The coil whine will be the biggest obstacle if you come up against it.
Thanks very much. And I've just found your posts over at egpu.io. That was a great looking setup you had there, must have been hard to give up but I'm assuming it was could whine that led you to this.
Was the SF750 Plat definitely better than the SF600 then? Should I go for the 750 if I value silence?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Thanks very much. And I've just found your posts over at egpu.io. That was a great looking setup you had there, must have been hard to give up but I'm assuming it was could whine that led you to this.
Was the SF750 Plat definitely better than the SF600 then? Should I go for the 750 if I value silence?

I was on the fence keeping it, after all it cost quite a bit and if I wasn't 100% happy it was going to be hard to justify it.

For me the SF750 was £20 more so I just went for that, a PSU running at a lower % will always be more efficient and produce less heat. The SF600 a great option.

Associate
I was on the fence keeping it, after all it cost quite a bit and if I wasn't 100% happy it was going to be hard to justify it.

For me the SF750 was £20 more so I just went for that, a PSU running at a lower % will always be more efficient and produce less heat. The SF600 a great option.
Thanks again, you've been really helpful. The SF600 Plat was £89 yesterday but has now gone back up to normal so the 750 now makes more sense.
What ended up being the thing that really made you return though? OS bugs, sleep problems, coil whine, fan noise or just that you didn't really need the performance boost? Did you get it more or less perfect before you returned it or should I be wary of anything?
Sorry for the thousand questions, just want to be sure before I commit.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Thanks again, you've been really helpful. The SF600 Plat was £89 yesterday but has now gone back up to normal so the 750 now makes more sense.
What ended up being the thing that really made you return though? OS bugs, sleep problems, coil whine, fan noise or just that you didn't really need the performance boost? Did you get it more or less perfect before you returned it or should I be wary of anything?
Sorry for the thousand questions, just want to be sure before I commit.

The coil whine was what made me rethink in the end, that and I really wasn't going to game as much as I thought.

I had a few bugs but that was due to using a specific cable to allow me to connect to the 24" LG UltraFine which is a USB-C/ThunderBolt 3 display. I had a couple instances where I watched a YouTube video and the Mac mini locked up. I'm not 100% this was due to the cable, but I haven't heard of this happening to others. The drivers for the 5700XT are pretty new, so there may be a couple bugs, nothing that should be a deal breaker and it will only get better.

Associate
The coil whine was what made me rethink in the end, that and I really wasn't going to game as much as I thought.

I had a few bugs but that was due to using a specific cable to allow me to connect to the 24" LG UltraFine which is a USB-C/ThunderBolt 3 display. I had a couple instances where I watched a YouTube video and the Mac mini locked up. I'm not 100% this was due to the cable, but I haven't heard of this happening to others. The drivers for the 5700XT are pretty new, so there may be a couple bugs, nothing that should be a deal breaker and it will only get better.
Ugh, so you had several different cards all with whine? Was the Red Dragon XT one of them? And the PSU change didn't help there either?
Also, was it whine at idle or just under load? Whine would drive me nuts as it tends to be high pitch and not constant low frequency like a slow speed fan.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Ugh, so you had several different cards all with whine? Was the Red Dragon XT one of them? And the PSU change didn't help there either?
Also, was it whine at idle or just under load? Whine would drive me nuts as it tends to be high pitch and not constant low frequency like a slow speed fan.

I only had 1 card the Nitro+ which had whine. In macOS it wasn't really there, but in bootcamp is was pretty horrendous when doing stuff like scrolling apps. Playing games that weren't that demanding meant the fans didn't ramp up, but even locked into 60fps the whine was bad.

Here's a video of the noise with me scrolling steam library.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dnu7t8hYA6KsAd848

Turn the volume up loud, that will give you a true in real life idea of the sound.

Associate
I only had 1 card the Nitro+ which had whine. In macOS it wasn't really there, but in bootcamp is was pretty horrendous when doing stuff like scrolling apps. Playing games that weren't that demanding meant the fans didn't ramp up, but even locked into 60fps the whine was bad.

Here's a video of the noise with me scrolling steam library.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dnu7t8hYA6KsAd848

Turn the volume up loud, that will give you a true in real life idea of the sound.
You've been awesome, thanks. Just found your posts on Macrumors too so a lot more info there as well. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom