Is The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay available again?

Associate
Hello,

Had a bit of a Riddick film marathon over the weekend and got the itch to play The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay again.
Could anyone please tell me if it's available to buy electronically anywhere?
From what I can find on the internet only old 2nd hand copies are available.
I'm pretty sure I've still got a physical copy of it in my lockup, just don't fancy wading through all my hoarded crap to find it.

Cheers,

Soldato
Does GoG not have it? Pretty sure that's where I got mine... Can't check now, as I'm at work and it's blocked.

Edit: No, GoG and every other retailer were all forced to remove Dark Athena (which included EfBB) from their catalogues due to licencing issues... :(

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Does GoG not have it? Pretty sure that's where I got mine... Can't check now, as I'm at work and it's blocked.

Edit: No, GoG and every other retailer were all forced to remove Dark Athena (which included EfBB) from their catalogues due to licencing issues... :(
Ah, thanks for the reply yeah had a look at all the main online stores and it seemed to have been pulled maybe a couple of years ago.
Was just asking in case I overlooked somewhere.

Cheers,

Associate
OP
Does it even work now? I thought that Tages DRM botched it up.
The GOG version would've been ideal as I imagine it would have to have all DRM removed.
Though I still have an XP machine I could dust off which might be more compatible with the original physical media version.

Associate
OP
Did a quick search and although it seems that according to the courts it should be legal, I'm pretty sure none of the big distribution platforms have any official mechanism for selling your personal game inventory.

Soldato

Yea it did, but there is a workaround to get the old Steam version working afaik. It might mean using a cracked exe.

This is why online DRMs are bad. Years later the game you bought no longer works :/

Soldato
It's actually one of those games that actually captures the film brilliantly and the voice over via Vin Diesel is excellent.

I have it on Steam - didn't know it had been removed. That's pretty sad as it's a cracking game. Great that they remastered Escape from Butcher Bay as well and included it in Dark Athena as well.

I think it was on offer ages ago or as part of a humble bundle. I know I only paid a few quid for it.

You can buy the physical for about £10.

M.

Associate
OP
It's actually one of those games that actually captures the film brilliantly and the voice over via Vin Diesel is excellent.
Yeah completely agree, I remember getting totally immersed in it, back when I could get totally immersed in a game.
Graphically one thing that stood out for me at the time was the use of Environmental Bump Mapping, it was the first game I noticed how much it made all the surfaces look like they had 3 dimensional texture.

Dark Athena was ok but had a bit more of a standard corridor shooter feel to me, probably due to the space ship setting.

Associate
No it doesn't. I am using Windows 7. I have played it before on this computer. I wanted to play it again last night after not playing it for a while, but it crashed right after it changed the screen resolution. I have the 5 CD Set and I reinstalled it, but the game still crashes just after it changes the screen resolution. I was kinda hoping for some kind of work around. It's such a shame that we pay money for these games and they have the right to just stop them from working without giving a refund. It shouldn't matter how old the game is, I bought it for $60.00, so I should be able to still play it. I hate DRMs. This has happened on a lot of games that I used to play all of the time. Even the Windows Live games. But at least I have a work around for them so I can still play them.

I wanted to play Dark Athena also. I am too late for that one. Licensing issues, damn.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have it on steam and it works, bit of a faff though. Had to dl the updated tages (link is on pcgamingwiki) for it to accept the CD key. Then it would crash on changing video option but changing it run in XP SP3 compat mode sorted that out :)

Associate
What I don't understand is, if you have to run it in compatibility mode under Win XP Service Pack 3, then why would the version of Windows you are running matter? I see where people have success with "Dark Athena" in Windows 10. Tell me, why does that matter? Windows XP is Windows XP, no matter what version of Windows outside of XP you are running. I just don't get it?

Back
Top Bottom