Post Scriptum

Soldato
When Squad upgraded their engine to 4.21 (I think it was that number), performance was vastly improved. Much better FPS and just generally felt smoother - I'm really hoping that the same happens for PS, because at the moment, the performance is the only thing which puts me off playing tbh :)

Soldato
OP
Performance is so much better now!

Patch notes:
MAJOR UPDATE NOW AVAILABLE V2.0.13.12217+ STEAM AUTUMN SALE!

Greetings everyone!

Before we delve further into this major update, we want to thank everyone who participated and helped us in the Public Playtest that ran this weekend. You guys are awesome!

Six months ago, we started the process of updating Post Scriptum to Unreal Engine 4.21 from the current 4.16 version. This update brings a lot of noticeable improvements to both the client and the server.

Furthermore, with this release we want to announce that Post Scriptum will be 25% off during the Steam Autumn sale. So if you have been waiting to try it or have friends who might be interested, now is the perfect time to grab yourself a copy!

NEW VISUALS & IMPROVED PERFORMANCE

One of the major things we focused on for the 4.21 Unreal Engine upgrade was to make sure that there would be an improvement in performance from the optimization that occurred from upgrading the engine. After a few closed playtests, including the public one over the past weekend, we have gathered very positive feedback and are confident to state that this is the biggest improvement of optimization to date.

The game has undergone a visual revamp with changes in shading, lighting, textures and foliage that should give the environments a much more diverse, lush and sharp look.

UI improvements have been made to the radial menu icons, the deployment screen as well as the map voting panel.

GAMEPLAY CHANGES

We have also made minor improvements to the gameplay by reworking weapon sway and replacing the instant black screen when killed with a two-second fade out. The foliage also no longer slows down your character instantly, but gradually, and for vehicles, we have gone through and rebalanced vehicle damage to help make the vehicle combat experience is even better than it is currently.

IMPROVED TANK / VEHICLE HANDLING
To go alongside the rebalance to vehicle damage, we’ve gone through and improved vehicle handling for both the tanks as well as the wheeled vehicles, new visual effects have also been added for shell penetration to help tankers better verify a penetrating hit on a vehicle.

NEW SOUNDS
We also updated some of the sounds in the game, including weapon firing sound for the Lee Enfield, G41 and Sten. The grenades had their explosion sound effect updated, alongside the No77 Phosphorus grenade. The main menu has got some new ambient audio and we did an ambiance pass on all of the maps.

We also added new impact sounds for shells both inside and outside of tanks. There is an audible difference between different calibers of Armor Piercing and High Explosive rounds hitting the ground. Shells also have a more accurate ‘woosh’ when they pass overhead, and this is affected by the caliber, distance and direction from the player.

NEW & IMPROVED ANIMATIONS

Our animators have gone through and improved the animations of several weapons including the M1 Garand, Lee Enfield, M1911, P38, G41, M1A1 Thompson and many more. We have also improved several character animations like different prone movements for rifles, faster stand to prone transition, new bandage and animation to name a few. General character movement has also been refined and feels more responsive than before.

NEW GAMEMODE
A new game mode was introduced with 4.21 called Random Advance And Secure (RAAS). Random Advance And Secure works much the same way as the regular Advance And Secure game mode does with both teams attacking and defending capture zones across the map.

With Random Advance And Secure capture zones are randomized each time the game mode is played, making for a much more diverse and replayable experience. On top of that, the capture zones that you can’t capture are hidden in a fog of war, making them invisible until you are allowed to capture them. Once they are revealed on the map they will stay permanently visible for the rest of the game.

ARNHEM RANGE REVAMP

Lastly to finish off this already long post, we have updated the Arnhem Range to be a much better tutorial for new players, we highly encourage new players and veterans alike to check out the new range as it offers a lot of useful knowledge about the ins and out of Post Scriptum as well as the gameplay mechanics.

On the range, you can find tutorial sections for Infantry, Armoured, Logistics, and Commanding. Each section will help you to learn the basics but essential functions of each section type.

Below you can find our changelog for 4.21

CHANGELOG

NEW GAME MODE

• RAAS (Random Advance and Secure)
NEW VISUALS AND IMPROVED PERFORMANCE

• Better performance due to UE4 Engine upgrade
    • Ground material changes
    • New undergrowth for most ground layers
    • Changed grass to blend better with the landscape
    • Complete foliage overhaul
    • Implemented imposters for better performance
    • Multiple shader overhauls
    • Lighting overhaul
    • Level design changes/additions to forests and fields
    • Level design optimization
    • UI partial overhaul
REVAMPED ARNHEM RANGE

• Including tutorials and easy to use weapons range
GAMEPLAY CHANGES

• Weapon sway values reworked
    • Rebalanced armor damage
    • Death cam for 2 seconds
    • Visible penetration marks on tanks
    • Foliage slowdown now gradual, not instant [community request]
    • Progress of bandaging visualized through bandage material
    • Player can now ADS focus while slow walking
    • Players now have to reactivate FOB in case of enemy presence
CHARACTER ANIMATIONS

• Different prone movement for rifles
    • Faster stand to prone transition
    • More responsive movement in general
    • Head rotation in open vehicle seats
    • New bandaging animations
    • New US Syringe animations
    • Added idle animations
    • Added head rotation of characters in vehicles [community request]
WEAPON ANIMATIONS CHANGES

• M1911 Colt
    • M1Garand
    • Lee Enfield / Scoped
    • Sten
    • P38
    • M1A1 Thompson
    • STG 44
    • G41
    • G43
    • M24 Stiehlhandgranate
    • Mills Bomb
VEHICLES/TANKS

• Improved vehicle handling [community request]
    • Added internal penetration sound [community request]
    • New visual fx for shell penetration [community request]
SOUNDS

• Updated weapon sounds: StG44, K98, Lee Enfield, Sten, Bren, G41, G43, MG34 coax [external close], 20mm cannon [flak36]
    • Updated Grenade explosion
    • Ambience pass on maps
    • Interior reverb values tweaked
    • New explosion sound for Magnetic/AP mines
    • New sounds for tank HE/AP shell explosions
    • New impact sounds for tank shells inside and outside of tanks
    • Tank shell ‘woosh’ added
    • Updated tank shell ricochet sounds
    • Armoured vehicle passengers have outside audio filtered
    • Armoured vehicle passengers hear internal weapon sounds
    • Updated No77 Phosphorus grenade explosion sound
    • Ambient sounds now ‘duck’ in volume when inside buildings
OTHER

• New main menu background
    • New loading screens
    • New Stielhandgranate 24 model
    • New bandage model

Make sure to manually clear your cache in order to get optimal performance. Manual clearing of cache: The cache for PS is located in C:\Users\USERNAMEHERE\Appdata\Local\PostScriptum

Associate
Really been looking forward to this update - I can finally play the game again now that the performance has improved.

Hopefully, the player base picks up and more servers start to fill up.

Soldato
Unreal Engine update made a huge improvement to performance in Squad, hopefully it does the same in PS. I'm looking forward to having a decent WW2 FPS to play...HLL has been a bit disappointing so far.

Soldato
Just been playing for an hour or so - wow. Performance is much better now, so the game is actually decently playable. Still a fair bit of slow down in smoke, but overall, it's hugely improved.

I can't really say a lot about many other improvements as I haven't played the game for ages anyway, so I'm not familiar with it to notice what's changed, but it feels a lot better. Even though they're pretty closely related, I think I much prefer the gunplay in this to Squad. I've lost count of the amount of times I've landed shots on people in Squad to almost no effect, whereas in PS, guns feel more lethal and like they are actually having a decent impact on the target.

One thing which is bugging me - stripper clip reloads. There only seems to be an animation for loading entire stripper clips. I can have 5 rounds in the magazine of the K98, fire one, reload, and it loads....another 5 rounds. Is this a known bug that will be fixed? I noticed they said there were new animations for a lot of weapons, so I thought it might have been fixed with this update. Not a huge one, doesn't impact gameplay (you cant exceed maximum rounds for the gun), but it's noticeable.

Associate
I also played a few rounds last night and the performance was noticeably better - I don't think I found myself actively checking my FPS more than a handful of times, it makes the game so much more enjoyable.

Soldato
Just been playing for an hour or so - wow. Performance is much better now, so the game is actually decently playable. Still a fair bit of slow down in smoke, but overall, it's hugely improved.

I can't really say a lot about many other improvements as I haven't played the game for ages anyway, so I'm not familiar with it to notice what's changed, but it feels a lot better. Even though they're pretty closely related, I think I much prefer the gunplay in this to Squad. I've lost count of the amount of times I've landed shots on people in Squad to almost no effect, whereas in PS, guns feel more lethal and like they are actually having a decent impact on the target.

One thing which is bugging me - stripper clip reloads. There only seems to be an animation for loading entire stripper clips. I can have 5 rounds in the magazine of the K98, fire one, reload, and it loads....another 5 rounds. Is this a known bug that will be fixed? I noticed they said there were new animations for a lot of weapons, so I thought it might have been fixed with this update. Not a huge one, doesn't impact gameplay (you cant exceed maximum rounds for the gun), but it's noticeable.

The game has always loaded individual bullets but I haven’t played new update yet so can’t comment if it’s a new bug

Soldato
The game has always loaded individual bullets but I haven’t played new update yet so can’t comment if it’s a new bug

I'm an idiot...I wasn't paying enough attention. The stripper clip is used every time, but not all rounds are stripped off it...some are left on it and its removed. I was expecting Red Orchestra style animations, where partial reloads are done by topping up with individual round, and the stripper clips are only used when all 5 rounds will be required.

Soldato
People will tell you different things. I have both, but think it is only worth having PS.

are there generally enough players online? I had a quick look now (3pm on a monday not the best indicator i know) and ps has about 500 compared to around 850 for HLL. Are there enough servers etc? I've been burned in the past buying games that are difficult to find servers for at certain times :(

Associate
are there generally enough players online? I had a quick look now (3pm on a monday not the best indicator i know) and ps has about 500 compared to around 850 for HLL. Are there enough servers etc? I've been burned in the past buying games that are difficult to find servers for at certain times :(

I never have any issues finding servers. I'd recommend just giving it a go and refunding in the 2 hour period if you are not happy. I find PS is a bit more focused on teamwork and being tactical when compared with HLL

Soldato
I'm trying to love HLL as well, but the suppression mechanic feels ridiculously contrived and overdone. I understand the purpose if suppression in games, but really, it was exaggerated to the point of being farcical.

Soldato
OP
I must admit, that trailer looks great. I've never played PS before though I've sunk quite a few hours into hell let loose.

In all honesty, is it worth having both?

I was really put off by the performance but now with the engine upgrade to 4.21 it is so much better. HLL seems to be a a bit too acardey for me (don't get me started on the ridiculous suppression mechanics) and there has been very little communication between anyone from my last few attempts.

I never have any issues finding servers. I'd recommend just giving it a go and refunding in the 2 hour period if you are not happy. I find PS is a bit more focused on teamwork and being tactical when compared with HLL

100% this.

Associate
Had a blast tonight, been a long time since i played and its come on leaps and bounds. Found an excellent squad with a top SL and the game was most enjoyable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom