Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Caporegime
Yeah the new stranger things movie looks great.... I dunno i cant say ghostbusters has been such an influence in my life as to desperately need a 3rd film. Im sure ill see it. All looks very teenager and dark!

Soldato
I have mixed to positive feelings about the trailer. Looks far far better than the 2016 movie. The only two things I'm a little mixed about is the small scale of the story and it looks like an extended Stranger things episode. Not necessarily a bad thing if the story and characters are strong. But it feels very confined compared to the other movies and video game. I hope that this is playing safe to see if it is a success then we have larger scale movies down the line.

I do like how they nailed the SFX, Slimer looks like the dirty semi-seethrough slimeball like in the first movie rather than the day-glow green plastic turd in the 2016 movie

Caporegime
OP
I have mixed to positive feelings about the trailer. Looks far far better than the 2016 movie. The only two things I'm a little mixed about is the small scale of the story and it looks like an extended Stranger things episode. Not necessarily a bad thing if the story and characters are strong. But it feels very confined compared to the other movies and video game. I hope that this is playing safe to see if it is a success then we have larger scale movies down the line.

I do like how they nailed the SFX, Slimer looks like the dirty semi-seethrough slimeball like in the first movie rather than the day-glow green plastic turd in the 2016 movie

The vibe of some sections of the trailer seems to be vaguely similar to gb2 in that nobody seems to know or dismisses the events of the previous 2 movies. Wonder if they'll go in depth on what happened to the containment unit etc. Maybe the ghosts just dried up and they went out of business, which would play into what happened in extreme ghostbusters as well. I hope they don't reveal too much in the trailers, one thing the original movie did was keep Stay Puft out of the trailers so when he showed up it was a huge surprise, that's lacking in trailers these days as they generally play out like an ABC of the events of the movie and nothing is kept as a surprise anymore.

Soldato
I have to say my initial reaction as the trailer started was please no kid based Pacific Rim 2 nonsense. But as the trailer went on I became a lot more comfortable to the tone. Trailers can be deceptive and I hope they don't give too much away but that looked good. Also I like Paul Rudd he does his thing pretty well. I hope we get some cameos from the old folks but not shows us anything in the trailers.

Soldato
I didn't watch the last one. Well I haven't got around to it as I haven't got much desire since the trailers put me off so much. I'll probably see this prior to watching the 2016 edition as it looks like it going to treat the 80's films with the respect they deserve, which is all we ever ask for ffs.

Soldato
And at 1:46 you have "Shandor mine", aka Ivo Shandor who was the leader of the Gozer worshippers and who made Dana's building in the original movie. Could be a return of Gozer, afterall Gozer was only pushed back through the gate at the end of the first movie, not destroyed.

What do you reckon was the owner of that huge paw at 2:05? ;)

XPE

XPE

Soldato
As someone who loved the first 2 films, this trailer didn't do much for me and tried a bit too hard to tug on the nostalgia heart strings. I guess I will need to wait and see how it comes together.

Associate
Well, I watched it this morning. And I think you're wrong.

• There's a lovely quiet scene with Winston and Ray driving in Ecto-1 back to the firehouse (just before Peck has the containment grid shut off) where they talk about the lines in the Bible about judgement day and Winston wonders if the reason they're so busy right now is because the world is about to end.
  • His opening scene, the job interview with Janine reading out a list of weird and wonderful phenomena in a bored tone. His response? "If there's a steady paycheck, I'll believe in anything you say" :)
  • Winston is the practical voice of reason when they're in the cell at the police station before the scene with the mayor, pointing out how absurd the whole deal is going to sound to a judge and grousing about getting a different lawyer to the rest of the team.
  • The aforementioned twinkie line bettered IMO by the one in the mayor's office. "Look, I've only been with the company for a couple of weeks, but I gotta tell ya these things are real. Since I joined these men I have seen **** that'll turn you white!" Not to mention his joining in with the others talking about how biblical the disaster could be with his line about the dead rising from the grave.
  • "Ray...when someone asks you if you are a God, you say yes."
  • The look he gives when Egon comes up with the plan about crossing the streams. It just screams 'oh, this is gonna suck...' Followed by him putting the button on it with "This job is definitely not worth eleven-five a year."
  • He even gets the last line before the credits! Not bad for a token character...

Cheers for the response and effort!

Well, all of those things happen, I can’t dispute that, but I don’t really place any weight on them when it comes to my own enjoyment of the film. I think you could remove him from the film and it would largely be the same. However, in my post above, I mention that scene re: God that you expand on - yes, I agree that is a good scene in the film.

Ghostbusters to me is principally Peter and Egon, then Ray, then Winston is just sort of... there. I get that he’s supposed to be the everyday guy doing it for a pay check but I think Weaver, Janine and ‘Honey I shrunk the Kids’ guy are better characters than Winston.

What do you think of Ghostbusters 2? The effects are so much better and I think I prefer the plot although it is really slow to get going. That film should start at the ‘court case’ intro bit.

JRS, couldn't have put it better myself, Nitefly, Winston wan't a good character for you, and that's it, just your single opinion.

I and many others think he was a great and memorable character that wasn't a stereotype, and exactly like I said, he doesn't say much but has some of the most memorable lines in the movie. Kids at school were "quoting the **** turn white for YEARS!

So your opinion is likely in a minority though I still accent that's your valid opinion, but he wasn't a token, he was a damn good character that I and many others remember very fondly and in rich detail.

Soldato
Just watched it without sound (on the tube).

Looks like Gozer is back! That had to be a terror dawg paw. Trailer looks quite interesting and it’s too early to really say much. Always thought Rudd was a decent actor enough too.

Caporegime
OP
German trailer has a little scene at the end of the proton pack being fired and the ecto goggles taking a picture.

They're calling it Ghostbusters Legacy.

Caporegime
OP
"There hasn't been a ghost sighting in 30 years." They went for the head on this one and totally negated Ghostbusters 2016.

So did Sony, the movie was named "Ghostbusters" then when they seen it tanking they added "answer the call" to the title to differentiate it from the first movie.

Soldato
Everyone is saying Stranger Things because of the kid but I was getting more of a Super 8 vibe :p

Definitely pushing the nostalgia thing though which is quite popular at the moment. Can't say I'm blown away by the trailer, but I'll consider myself cautiously optimistic and certainly already looks better than last reboot.

Back
Top Bottom