I'm struggling to find sympathy for these people

Caporegime
I would happily stand in the crater of an active volcano. Why? Because you're probably more likely to slip, hit your head and die on the way up than have it erupt. The experience is more than worth it.

These people were just incredibly unlucky.

Associate
When we went to Vesuvius a few years ago a bloke smoking a pipe would have given out more smoke, although they do say there's no smoke without fire. a few miles up the coast the other side of Naples the area is a lot more active, the population all around that area wouldn't stand a chance if anything got active

Man of Honour
If a volcano hadn't erupted for 6 years, I'd probably (naively?) assume it was fairly safe.

These days lots of things that can be used to measure likelihood of an eruption - generally gas and/or magma, etc. doesn't just push up without warning though it is often impossible to predict exactly when an eruption will happen - a triangulation type setup of GPS loggers can be used to measure even tiny expansion and the type of tremor behaviour tends to be strongly indicative as to whether pressure is building up, etc. a volcano that has been sitting there for 6 years with little activity is highly unlikely to suddenly go one that has been rumbling on for 6 years a higher chance and one with periodic increases in activity indicating things like pressure building much more likely.

EDIT: When I say push up - can also be sideways venting, etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
While I feel bad for those who have lost their lives, to set foot on "Te Puia Whakaari" (translated as "dramatic volcano" I believe) is somewhat foolish. If the experts are saying 'do not go there' and will not go there themselves, then personally, I'd not go there.. I'm not stupid, or have a death wish.

Last edited:
Soldato
While I feel bad for those who have lost their lives, to set foot on "Te Puia o Whakaari" (translated as "dramatic volcano" I believe) is somewhat foolish. If the experts are saying 'do not go there' and will not go there themselves, then personally, I'd not go there.. I'm not stupid, or have a death wish.

This is the point the tour operators should have taken the responsible action and cancelled all visits, I’d guess most tourists wouldn’t know the latest state of the volcano and the dangers it recently posed

Caporegime
I have lots of sympathy for them. They are just tourists enjoying their lives and experiencing nature’s wonders. Unfortunately, on this occasion, nature bit hard. It’s terribly unfortunate and sad, and I have plenty of sympathy for them and their families. May they RIP.

Soldato
so they had acknowledged several weeks back that there was increased activity and they raised alert level, as they had done in 2016

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/white-island/news.html
Mon, 25 Nov 2019, 09:18

GeoNet recorded deep earthquake with magnitude M 5.9 that occurred beneath eastern Bay of Plenty on Sunday 24 November. There has been no change in activity at the volcano after this event.
Gas emissions continue to be high to moderate in the last week since 18 November and volcanic tremor remains at moderate levels. There have been few earthquakes near the island.
The crater lake level has not changed for the last week, and gas-driven fountaining activity continues to be observed around the active vents on the west side of the crater floor. This fountaining is regularly throwing mud a few metres into the air at the vent but at current levels does not pose a hazard to visitors.

I suspect that's what tour operators will cling onto.

Caporegime
"I'm struggling to find sympathy for these dead people," monotones emotionally stunted forum contributor before continuing, "+BEEP BOOP+ I AM A ROBOT +BEEP BOOP+"

It was quite weird being able to see the aftermath from our house. Very bad luck and timing for those caught up in it.

Back
Top Bottom