Project: Double or Nothing

Associate
I've have decided I need to know what all this AMD stuff is about. The last time I have some of their kit was a 1.4ghz Thunderbird back in 2000 which quite happily hi 1.8ghz underneath a Thermaltake DragonOrb 3 (7000rpm!!) so I am a bit outside the loop and need to catch up.

And what better way to do that than by going BIG on RGB and shoving two new Ryzen systems into one case? Nothing! That's right - there is NO BETTER WAY than to shove two new Ryzen systems into one case. I dare you to go out and find one, but you'll be gone a long time, will come back empty handed and won't get to see the absolute disaster my life is going to be, illuminated by £800 worth of RGB-ALL-THE-THINGS. So heed my words.

Right then. The stuff. Apologies to Overclockers but the number of 'Out of Stock' things on this list, plus my blooming mid-life crisis and deteriorating sense of self-worth mean that I have had to source the following parts from other avenues in oder to satisfy my desperate need to distract myself from an uninspiring existence which I have grown cold and detached from, but as the case was bought from here I am sure they won't begrudge me this. If I hadn't bought the case, I wouldn't have any reason to have splurged all of the following:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £896.82 (includes shipping: £15.90)

It's all going in the Phanteks Mini XL DS because I am obsessed with my Enthoo Primo and have no sense of adventure, which is why my girlfriend argues with me all the time and I have moved out again. Having beautiful lines and a pleasing '2001 Space Odyssey monolith' vibe, perhaps I can evolve (oh my god evolve, Evolv... are Phanteks Arthur C Clarke fans too?) to the next stage of human self-awareness? Nah, but I can run **** TONNES OF RGB!!!

RGB ALL THE THINGS!

This is going to happen.
See that stuff in my signature about an i7 4790k system? Oculus I call her. She's old now and I feel past her prime even though she is running a 1070 GTX and my Oculus Rift (of course). I also want to have a system that I can use to host SQL servers and stuff, but need them to be independently active. So I'm gouging out her eyes and sticking them in a brand new system, while the rest of her will sit in the dark, wondering where the 3D went. There there, Oculus; you will be reborn and will have a conjoined twin (stunted and mentally challenged by comparison) to grow out of your shared body. Won't that be fun? He'll be useless at playing games, but will be a whiz at calculations and dredging his memory to tell me the answers to whatever queries I demand of him. Kinda like Master Blaster from Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome - together you will form a powerful team, but ultimately will be HORRIFIC to look at.

RGB EVERYTHING!!

I have already got an EVGA 1200w Platinum just LYING AROUND from the last time I lost a PSU (plot twist: The psu was fine and the z97 Rampage Formula was dead from 5 years of overclocking - meh.)
so that will be powering the matx element.

This is going to go so well. So, so well. I cannot see myself regretting this one little bit.
Stay tuned - I might manage to get my camera out at some point.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So the parts have arrived!
zzthNTx.jpg

It's very exciting.
qmChJPp.jpg

I have gone as far as preparing the itx system, all the ram installed with the cpu and stuff:
ljOgV4t.jpg

Like so:
pNPUMox.jpg

So I power her up and.... nothing...
Because Gigabyte haven't factory updated the DAMN BIOS TO SUPPORT Ryzen 3000 series!! ARRGGHH!!
I now have a Ryzen 1200 on the way... FFS....

Associate
OP
I take it all back Gigabyte: I failed to seat the ram properly on the itx. I started on the matx and when that got power, the ram lit up immediately. Both systems now boot properly - time to get them inside the beast!

Associate
OP
Both systems now fully built inside the case, bar the sfc psu arriving Tuesday. Windows 10 ssd was even able to boot despite having been installed on a z87 system. Amazing.

Associate
OP
The SFC PSU and the extra RGB kit has not arrived yet so I can't really do much tonight to make it look neat, so haven't taken any extra pics yet...
I am also playing with the idea of dropping the Wraith Spires and getting a pair of Gigabyte Aorus AIOs to go instead - either a pair of 280mms or a 240 and a 360, depending on clearances.

Associate
OP
I have fitted it all in now that the EVGA SFX psu arrived. Thankfully my decision to stick on brand for the PSU worked out and I was able to re-use cables for a 1000w EVGA Platinum instead of the 6" (!!) cable that came with the SFX PSU. Sadly the cable is about an inch too short to effectively route around the outside of the pair of motherboards, and the 8pin gets in the way of the LED strips if I lash it tothe case.
I'll tidy it up some more once I actually have windows installed on the iTX system.

Images are here:

https://imgur.com/gallery/G0FNi50

ALL THE RGB!. Nearly.
After Christmas I intend to get some Aorus 360mm AIO coolers in there.

Soldato
I have fitted it all in now that the EVGA SFX psu arrived. Thankfully my decision to stick on brand for the PSU worked out and I was able to re-use cables for a 1000w EVGA Platinum instead of the 6" (!!) cable that came with the SFX PSU. Sadly the cable is about an inch too short to effectively route around the outside of the pair of motherboards, and the 8pin gets in the way of the LED strips if I lash it tothe case.
I'll tidy it up some more once I actually have windows installed on the iTX system.

Images are here:

https://imgur.com/gallery/G0FNi50

ALL THE RGB!. Nearly.
After Christmas I intend to get some Aorus 360mm AIO coolers in there.
A very subtle and subdued system... discrete and understated.

:cool:

Soldato
RGB all the things? Dude, you failed. If you're going with AMD stock coolers, where are the pair of Wraith Prisms? That's 2 HUUUUUGE chunks of RGB missing :p

On a serious note, I thought the Wraith Prism was bundled with the 3000 series Ryzens anyway?

Soldato
The cable management is making me cringe lol
And needs more leds the top right corner of case is too dark lol

Well done fitting 2 systems in there mate
Though I loved my primo my new enthoo luxe 2 [or whatever they changed the name to 718 or something] is my new love

And is made for 2 systems as well!!!
And you would have have addressable leds with the luxe 2 lol

Carry on the good work mate
And happy new year

Associate
OP
Kurgen very kindly sent me his Phanteks powersplitter for gratis, so I did manage to tidy up the cabling in a most effective manner. Sadly either the psu is doing something odd, or the extension cables I got aren't quite right, but while I can post one machine at a time, attempting the other just leads to a non-post and in the case of the matx system, a bios reset. This behaviour continues outside the case with minimal wiring too, so I have had to return to a dual psu solution. Never mind.

Associate
Kurgen very kindly sent me his Phanteks powersplitter for gratis, so I did manage to tidy up the cabling in a most effective manner. Sadly either the psu is doing something odd, or the extension cables I got aren't quite right, but while I can post one machine at a time, attempting the other just leads to a non-post and in the case of the matx system, a bios reset. This behaviour continues outside the case with minimal wiring too, so I have had to return to a dual psu solution. Never mind.
whats the power splitter for? - to connect both mobos to a single PSU?

Associate
it may be worth putting a ticket into the PSU manufacturer to ask their opinion (as it sounds like it is some sort of circuit protection built into the PSU).

Back
Top Bottom