Wifi extender with gigabit ethernet ports

Associate
Hi, I recently installed ethernet cable throughout my home. Now I want to tackle the poor wifi situation. I live in a long bungalow so half the house has very poor wifi. I want to buy 2 wifi extenders. I want to run an ethernet cable into each extender so it receives the full broadband feed. I also need the extender to have a gigabit ethernet out port so I can continue to use ethernet into my smart tv's, streaming box etc.
I'm looking for devices with good performance that won't break the bank so not much more than £60 each.
Any recommendations?

Soldato
If you've just installed Ethernet why are you already needing to connect multiple devices to single cables?

Why extenders rather than access points?

Associate
OP
If you've just installed Ethernet why are you already needing to connect multiple devices to single cables?

Why extenders rather than access points?

I have 2 ethernet ports installed behind the tv in each of these rooms for the tv and media streaming box. I don't want to lose one of these ports so want a device with an ethernet input and output.

Soldato
Those two Ethernet ports on the TP-Link are a switch. No different to adding a switch and then plugging an access point into it.

The best solution would have been to run more cables.

Associate
OP
Those two Ethernet ports on the TP-Link are a switch. No different to adding a switch and then plugging an access point into it.

The best solution would have been to run more cables.

Running more cables wasn't an option I'm afraid. House is 100% solid walls and wanted to avoid a mess so used the conduit running the coaxial cable and bought slim excel modules so got 2 ethernet and 1 coaxial to a single faceplate.

APM

APM

Associate
Maybe you want something like an Archer C9 that does wifi and has a pass through for ethernet as well,could be a D9 not exactly sure ,Draytek also do a similar item.

Soldato
If you donn’t like switches plugged into switches, you must really, really hate the internet. Buy decent AP’s and install them as/where required, UniFi kit tends to come with pass through on modern AP’s, but they need to be appropriately sited.

Associate
I'm in a similar position. I have installed 2 cables from the back of the TV, where the super hub 3 is installed, to 2 upstairs bedrooms where my PC and the lads Xbox are. The super hub 3 WiFi is patchy and I was thinking of putting something in the lads bedroom to extend the WiFi (while keeping his Xbox wired). Am I right in thinking I just need a WiFi access point?

Associate
So I have Virgin's 500mb, the WiFi would just be used for phones, laptops, nest hub, upstairs smart tv's etc, so hopefully speed doesn't need to be a priority, more coverage. Any recommendations?

Soldato
I'm in a similar position. I have installed 2 cables from the back of the TV, where the super hub 3 is installed, to 2 upstairs bedrooms where my PC and the lads Xbox are. The super hub 3 WiFi is patchy and I was thinking of putting something in the lads bedroom to extend the WiFi (while keeping his Xbox wired). Am I right in thinking I just need a WiFi access point?

Yes, a simple access point will do what you want.

Associate
Sorry, but the unifi just seems to have 1 ethernet port. Where is going I want to connect the access point to the ethernet cable and then run another to the lads Xbox. Do I just need to choose an access point with a couple of ports?

Back
Top Bottom