Company travel time - what's reasonable?

Associate
I have worked for the same employer for 15+ years. Over that time I have had to travel abroad (probably average twice per year usually to the same place in the USA. It is NO holiday).

Up until this year the company policy was that we would be paid for our travel time, either as time in lieu or as payment (the company doesnt do overtime so pay is always at the standard rate regardless of weekday, Saturday or Sunday). My working week is Monday - Friday 37.5 hours.

The most common trip is to the USA, usually traveling on a Saturday (this helps keeps cost down as opposed to flying during the week) staying there for 1 week, then coming home the following Saturday and due to time differences actually getting home approx midday on Sunday. Total travel time would usually be approx 40 hours. We would often work extra hours out there to get the job done so may accrue a total of 50 hours. As mentioned this would be paid usually as 50 hours standard rate pay or time off in lieu. Also company policy was for flights above 6 hours to be in Premium Economy.

Roll forward to this year and the company has decided to change the travel policy at their own discretion (they probably have the right to do this, I dont know?). So this year they want me to fly to the USA for 2 weeks. Fly out on a Saturday, go to work on the Sunday, work Monday - Friday, potentially work the middle weekend, then work the following Monday - Friday, flying home on the Saturday (get home on the Sunday). This will mean I am away from home for 3 weekends spanning 2 weeks (one of which is half term so the wife isnt happy).

This will be a minimum of 60 hours of my own time spent doing work "stuff" (over and above my standard contracted hours).

Work are now only allowing staff to accrue a maximum of 15 hours time in lieu in any one month (and will no longer buy time off of us) so anything above this (i.e. 45 hours of my own time) will have to be written off "for the good of the company". In addition they have also now pulled all Premium Economy travel so we will be in Economy (I am a short arse so no real inconvenience, but when travelling for business purposes and expected to go to work the next day after 20+ hours transatlantic travel, it would be nice to be in something other than economy).

I think this is a pretty poor deal, but i'm not sure what other people tasked with travelling for work may experience. Maybe i've had it good for so long and just come to expect it, or maybe my employer has just become incredibly tight fisted and are trying to maximise profit for the shareholder at the expense of the employee?

Is what they are asking fair, reasonable or even legal (it just seems wrong to have to spend so much of my own time travelling for work for no recompense)?

Appreciate any thoughts before I make a knob of my self complaining to the company. Refusing to travel is going to be very difficult, and I think the company are going to be very firm on their new rule and not want to bend

Sorry for the long and drawn out post and thanks.

Associate
OP
if the previous arrangement was mentioned in your contract, then they can't change it unilaterally.

It wasnt specifically covered in my contract and was referred to as the Company Travel Policy. They just update it whenver they want to and change it to whatever they like. For instance today they decided to reduce the evening meal rate (which has been the same since 2010) from £25 to £15. No consultation, just wham - get on with it.

Soldato
Could be worse. A company I used to work at wanted three of us to go out to the US and oversee the setting up of an office over there and they wanted us to pay for the tickets, the accommodation and vehicle rental out of our pockets and without any sort of reimbursement at all. Needless to say they were politely told to take the proverbial long walk along a short pier.

Soldato
Sounds like you need a new job. I claim overtime for every min im not home past my working hours, or i leave in time to make sure im home.

working 50hours for free is just insane.

Associate
OP
Have you tried talking to them about it ?

It has been discussed at a low level with immediate management and we (there are 4 of us going) have just been told to reference the company handbook/travel policy, which obviously now states that the company will only give a maximum of 15 hours in lieu.

I could refuse to travel, but have been told I would likely be accused of not doing my job and potentially leaving myself open to disciplinary action.

Caporegime
Time to stop traveling for work.

I would tell them Im not interested in going thanks.

The above really, but I'd also start looking for another role somewhere else because you're unlikely to win this one. When companies start messing around with their travel policy it's unusual for it to be because they're solid financially.

Man of Honour
When does travelling count towards working hours?
Workers who travel to a fixed workplace will usually not have their travel to work counted as working time. Any travel required to do their role once they have arrived at their workplace and until they leave to return home, should be counted as working time.

If a worker has a fixed place of work but is asked to work from another location then whether the time it takes to travel to that place of work will be classed as working time will depend on their contract.

https://m.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1373

Man of Honour
It has been discussed at a low level with immediate management and we (there are 4 of us going) have just been told to reference the company handbook/travel policy, which obviously now states that the company will only give a maximum of 15 hours in lieu.

I could refuse to travel, but have been told I would likely be accused of not doing my job and potentially leaving myself open to disciplinary action.
Surely that's then a pretty good case for constructive dismissal, as they're forcing you to work over a week of hours for free and I guess they'll be expecting the same going forward on future trips. I can't see any tribunal looking at that and thinking it's reasonable or covered by any vague "may have to do overtime for the good of the company" line in your contract.

Soldato
I've just left a job where they were expecting me to travel here there and everywhere at the drop of a hat, they would only pay 25p a mile as well (they kept saying you can claim the extra from HMRC).

It's not worth the hassle mate, you need a work life balance and this looks to be too much out of your goodwill and nothing from them.

Soldato
Sounds like you need a new job. I claim overtime for every min im not home past my working hours, or i leave in time to make sure im home.

working 50hours for free is just insane.

Same, throughout my working life I never work past what I'm paid for, I mean maybe the odd 30 minutes or so on a rare occasion, but literally no more than this.

If I were at a job that wanted otherwise I'd just leave. Private companies only take the **** because people let them.

Back
Top Bottom